Broker responsibility - contract verification

NewbieMom

DIS Veteran
Just want to get some insight from more seasoned DVC resale owners on what is a broker's responsibility in listing a contract? Do they verify any of the information a seller gives them?

I first submitted an offer on 5/10 for a contract and has been in ROFR ever since. Not because Disney is taking their time on making a decision (maybe they are a little bit). But about 15 days in, Disney came back and said one of the owner's names doesn't match on the contract. An additional addendum needed to be submitted and the clock restarted. Then at day 28 or 29, they came back and said the points stated in the contract doesn't match and another addendum needed to be submitted and the clocked restarted again. Now it's about day 36 and I'm still waiting to pass ROFR.

Is it typical for a broker to verify this information? Or they have no way of doing so, and rely on sellers to provide them with the correct data? I don't want to call out the broker, but it seems very "amateur." But it is my first contract and I have no other experience.

Just want to get some insight from more seasoned DVC resale owners on what is a broker's responsibility in listing a contract? Do they verify any of the information a seller gives them?

I first submitted an offer on 5/10 for a contract and has been in ROFR ever since. Not because Disney is taking their time on making a decision (maybe they are a little bit). But about 15 days in, Disney came back and said one of the owner's names doesn't match on the contract. An additional addendum needed to be submitted and the clock restarted. Then at day 28 or 29, they came back and said the points stated in the contract doesn't match and another addendum needed to be submitted and the clocked restarted again. Now it's about day 36 and I'm still waiting to pass ROFR.

Is it typical for a broker to verify this information? Or they have no way of doing so, and rely on sellers to provide them with the correct data? I don't want to call out the broker, but it seems very "amateur." But it is my first contract and I have no other experience.

I'm not sure the broker has a way of verifying the points but the names on the contract should definitely be verified prior to listing. Who is the broker if you don't mind me asking?

To verify they need to get the info from Disney. I thought that estoppel was used for that and was provided prior to the contract and it was provided by Disney for free. Now I understand that estoppel happens later and Disney charges a fee. I don't know what happens now days.

:earsboy: Bill

Well, getting the seller’s name wrong sounds pretty sloppy to me - it literally takes less than a minute to look the deed up on line to see who the owners are.
I’m curious, what was wrong w/ the points? Where there more or fewer points than promised?

Well, getting the seller’s name wrong sounds pretty sloppy to me - it literally takes less than a minute to look the deed up on line to see who the owners are.
I’m curious, what was wrong w/ the points? Where there more or fewer points than promised?

It was a Dec contract with "supposedly" full 2017 points banked into 2018. It was missing 10 points (not a big deal), but turns out the sellers haven't banked them which at the rate things are going, I might not close & get the points in time to bank them myself. It's now banked in the addendum submitted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter