Bring back more guest experiences please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate myself for saying this but covid was a opportunity to implement long planned cutbacks to increase profitability and the stock price, its great if you hold a large position in Disney stock, not so great as a guest.

Disney is trying to figure out the absolute minimum they need to do to get acceptable guest satisfaction. So things will be added back very slowly so they can measure the financial effect of each item added back.
I don't get the sense that you hate yourself for saying this, you talk about it an awful lot.

Also is this a recall/reinstatement where the recalled CM returns with their prior benefits/seniority or is this a rehire at 0 where the CM ‘starts over’. I suspect the latter case- it would be good to hear from CM’s on this but I expect they are not allowed to comment
Given how competitive the job market is right now, I'd bet that it's the former. Also given that these are union positions, if this truly is a "recall" I don't see how they could possibly restart recalled staffmembers at zero without violating their collective bargaining agreement.

I hate myself for saying this but covid was a opportunity to implement long planned cutbacks to increase profitability and the stock price, its great if you hold a large position in Disney stock, not so great as a guest.

Disney is trying to figure out the absolute minimum they need to do to get acceptable guest satisfaction. So things will be added back very slowly so they can measure the financial effect of each item added back.

There is so pent up travel demand right now that Disney doesn't need to offer more to draw tourists. The CEO already said that he's seeing 2019 booking levels already. There is zero reason to add more at this point. Customers seem satisfied enough to be able to go to the parks.

anecdotally only 80% of those laid off have accepted the recall, What this probably means is many of the top performer CM’s have found jobs elsewhere where they are appreciated by management. This does not look good for the park experience. Also is this a recall/reinstatement where the recalled CM returns with their prior benefits/seniority or is this a rehire at 0 where the CM ‘starts over’. I suspect the latter case- it would be good to hear from CM’s on this but I expect they are not allowed to comment

There are many former college program participants who stay in Orlando after their programs or or return to Orlando after graduation to work at WDW in some full or part time capacity.

During the parks closure/furloughs/etc., many of these younger CMs moved out of their apartments and back to their hometowns. There was a lot of discussion about this last spring/summer. A decent number of CMs moved away during the closure, and many of those would probably decline a callback if they don’t even live in Orlando anymore.

Just think it’s important to remember that some CMs moved away either during the shutdown or shortly after when they didn’t get called back.

Yes it is but Disney’s new model is about well to do ‘One and Done’ customers because that class of customer spends far more money than a ‘repeat’ customer. This type of guest is also easier to satisfy as they dont have memories of past visits. They only see whats in front of them at this moment in time.
That’s not the strategy. If it was, they would stop building DVC resorts totally because that group is far from one and done.

anecdotally only 80% of those laid off have accepted the recall, What this probably means is many of the top performer CM’s have found jobs elsewhere where they are appreciated by management. This does not look good for the park experience. Also is this a recall/reinstatement where the recalled CM returns with their prior benefits/seniority or is this a rehire at 0 where the CM ‘starts over’. I suspect the latter case- it would be good to hear from CM’s on this but I expect they are not allowed to comment
That’s unlikely to be the case. An 80% recall rate is a lot higher than I would have expected it to be.

Customer satisfaction at WDW is no longer a factor its PRGS and sales per sq ft. As long as those metrics are met and exceeded Chapek does not care what the satisfaction numbers look like now. The parks are the only cash positive part of Disney’s operations at the moment and they will be squeezed mercilessly for cash to stop the bleeding elsewhere in the Disney empire

the conversation between the bobs probably went something like the squeeze scene in Lynch’s Dune where the Baron charges hus Nephew Rabban with the mandate to show no mercy in squeezing Arrakis for spice.
If that’s true, why was Chapek talking about guest satisfaction two earnings calls ago?

That’s not the strategy. If it was, they would stop building DVC resorts totally because that group is far from one and done.

Once they hook you in though, you are pretty much stuck, unless you sell/rent your points. Plus, they are part of the die hard group that will go almost no matter what. They don't want a large, loud group of unhappy customers, but they aren't opposed to small, non-vocal groups that are unhappy.

Customer satisfaction at WDW is no longer a factor its PRGS and sales per sq ft. As long as those metrics are met and exceeded Chapek does not care what the satisfaction numbers look like now. The parks are the only cash positive part of Disney’s operations at the moment and they will be squeezed mercilessly for cash to stop the bleeding elsewhere in the Disney empire

the conversation between the bobs probably went something like the squeeze scene in Lynch’s Dune where the Baron charges hus Nephew Rabban with the mandate to show no mercy in squeezing Arrakis for spice.

Well, that's an extraordinarily pessimistic view. To each their own.

There is so pent up travel demand right now that Disney doesn't need to offer more to draw tourists. The CEO already said that he's seeing 2019 booking levels already. There is zero reason to add more at this point. Customers seem satisfied enough to be able to go to the parks.

Need and should are 2 different things. They dont need to do anything, that is correct. Eventually they will kill the legacy thats been built up for decades, but at the end of the day, why would the executives even care if that happened?

Need and should are 2 different things. They dont need to do anything, that is correct. Eventually they will kill the legacy thats been built up for decades, but at the end of the day, why would the executives even care if that happened?

Correct they will have collected their bonuses and floated off on their Golden parachutes (which ought to be illegal) leaving others to deal with the wreckage of the legacy which took decades to builld but is well on its way to destruction.

Um, No they build DVC because its enormously profitable and because of the point sales the profit is front loaded in the first 5 years. Example if you take 115 per point at BLT when it opened and multiply by number of points you get about 1.2 billion dollars the hotel at most cost 300 million, Thats almost a billion dollar profit. Not bad. Plus as a one time BLT member. In the contract Disney must give you your points however there are no corresponding guarantees that ANY accommodations will be available for you to rent with your points.

so in effect DVC members are building Disney hotels for free so to speak.

I don't get the sense that you hate yourself for saying this, you talk about it an awful lot.

It aint fun watching greedy executives destroy my happy place of 30+ years, In reality greedy executives have destroyed many times many good companies and the towns that depended on them for short term profit.

A wonderful example for NYC dwellers is B. Altman when the owner died the company went into a trust to be operated for the benefit of the employees operated profitably for decades. But since it was sitting on some very valuable land a cabal of executives and lawyers figured out how to break the trust.

Short version Lawyers and Executives became wealthy and the employees ended up on the street.

If customers are willing to pay with fewer offerings, why should executives think any differently? Customers are voting with their dollars.

It aint fun watching greedy executives destroy my happy place of 30+ years, In reality greedy executives have destroyed many times many good companies and the towns that depended on them for short term profit.

A wonderful example for NYC dwellers is B. Altman when the owner died the company went into a trust to be operated for the benefit of the employees operated profitably for decades. But since it was sitting on some very valuable land a cabal of executives and lawyers figured out how to break the trust.

Short version Lawyers and Executives became wealthy and the employees ended up on the street.
The problem with your POV is that it’s exactly that… just your POV.

Given where attendance and revenues were from the parks pre-pandemic… hard to argue that it’s being ‘destroyed.’

Lots of other people are paying huge money to go and enjoy the parks and seem to think the experience is still pretty excellent.

With all due respect, just because you have a lot too Disney sacred cows doesn’t mean every other consumer agrees.

The problem with your POV is that it’s exactly that… just your POV.

Given where attendance and revenues were from the parks pre-pandemic… hard to argue that it’s being ‘destroyed.’

Lots of other people are paying huge money to go and enjoy the parks and seem to think the experience is still pretty excellent.

With all due respect, just because you have a lot too Disney sacred cows doesn’t mean every other consumer agrees.

You are correct, and it's not like they haven't been investing in the parks. Maybe they're not investing where certian people want them to be, but the number of new rides being added has been pretty high, if a bit slow moving. A lot of this stuff is very subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!