• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Breastfeeding welcome in WDW?

MosMom

<font color=deeppink>Damn you, you wretched clown!
We are thinking about going to WDW in December and our baby (who should be arriving soon here :)) will be around 5 months by then. We will be breastfeeding and this will be a first for us. We formula fed my daughter so the whole attitude surrounding BF'ing is new to me.

I'm not one who would just plop my boobie :o out and I already bought a nursing blanket. Do you think I would get nasty looks or be asked to go to a Baby Care Center? I wouldn't mind using those but it would be a pain to find one everytime I needed to nurse. Would finding a bench and using a nursing blanket be okay?

Were you treated okay when you nursed at WDW? I know it seems so silly but I've heard some horror stories of people making nasty comments of people nursed in public. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, apparently it is though. :rolleyes:

GO!!! RELAX!!! ENJOY!!!! Your baby will love it and breastfeeding at WDW is the best way to go!!! No bottles to fill, clean, carry, worry about dropping.....

I breast fed my 9 month old for 7 day there and NEVER ONCE did anyone even look at me (well once....a tot pointed and said look mama she's having lunch. Obviously another family comfortable with the breast :p ) I think most people are too busy to notice someone sitting on a bench. And most of the shows are dark enough, if your concerned, you could take a seat in the back and let dh sit guard next to you and enjoy a show while db is having a snack.

I would suggest thought that you practice techniques without the blanket. Could get warm for you and the babe.

I am a very modest person, but I found that with the right nursing bra it was easy to descretely nessle my daughter under my shirt.

My first daughter didn't like "getting started" easily and then I found the nursing blanket a big help. We could "wrestle" under the blanket until she was settled then I'd uncover her for air.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of time to practice whatever you do before you go!

Oh, I never used them, but I hear the baby centers are fabulous. I alway sat down wherever we were and nursed. Guess I'm a lazy sort of mom:bounce: :bounce:

By the way CONGRATULATIONS on your impending arrival. May your family be blessed with lots of happiness!

I second the idea of practicing without the blanket. EIther sit in front of a mirror or keep asking your DH if he can see anything. I was really nervous nursing my first in public and now figure if they can see something they shouldn't they are looking too closely! I'm discreet mind you, but come on nobody is perfect and sometimes the baby moves his head when I least expect it!

Lots of rides are good for nursing--S[acship earth, Small world, hall of Pres, you get the idea. Plus there are lots of out of the way benches--on the walkway between Toontown and Fantasyland and to the side of Alien Encounter under the Timekeeper area come to mind. I did nurse in the counter service place in Tomorrowland--not my first choice, but baby was hungry and so was everyone else--no wierd looks. Trust me you are a lot more worried about it than anyone else!

If you get any dirty looks, just blow them off--babies have to eat and there is nothing wrong with feeding them.

MosMom,

I don't think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding in public. I actually saw a woman b'feeding in front of Aladdin's Magic Carpets in December, but I had to look twice because she had a nursing blanket over her and the baby. I'm expecting also, (August 18th or so.....it's a boy!) and I will be breastfeeding too. Not in WDW, sadly. :( You'll have to post how it was taking an infant to WDW. I'm trying to convince DH to take a long weekend trip sometime next year (like President's day weekend or something).

Anyway, breastfeeding is perfectly natural and I have read that it's only in the US that it's not seen as "socially acceptable." So if anyone is nasty to you, just tell them it's perfectly natural or better yet, they should just mind their business!

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival. You don't have much longer to go!!!!!!!! I hope time flies and my baby is here soon, too!

Lots of luck!

Originally posted by disneymom3
now figure if they can see something they shouldn't they are looking too closely!

LOL!!! I love this line:p :p :p :p :p

I totally agree with all above posters.. you'll be fine! I nursed both my children at WDW and never once had a problem. The Baby Centers are very nice and clean (and COOL!) and we TRIED to schedule feedings when were close to the centers but... babies get hungry on their own schedule. Or sometimes, mommies are ready to nurse on their own schedules (trying to be delicate:)

I can't think of a better place to bond with your child!

Have fun!

I agree with everyone else, go for it. If you are comfortable, it may not even be noticed! I nursed 3 of my 6 kids there. In rest., on rides, on benches, I even think I had to feed one of them on the monorail one time. No one seemed to have a problem with it at all.

If you are comfortable with it, it makes it easier. You may want to go out with the baby before nad try nursing at the mall and such. The only other problem I found was in a loud ride, my kids were more interested in what was going on to eat. It just made the whole process longer than it needed to be otherwise.

Yep, I agree with the others. I BF 2 of my 5 at WDW and no one ever looked askance at us. Without the blanket - wow, wish I would have thought of that. I didn't think to "practice" without it and that is a GREAT idea. My little guys just suffered through under the blanket (and I suffered a bit myself!!). Mine also had some trouble getting started, and I asked Dad to hold the blanket for us while we were getting situated. Worked fine, it's natural, WDW is a wonderful place to be with your family & your baby. God bless you and your new arrival!!

It's pretty common and you feel comfortable, so don't worry much about it. I did however enjoy the baby care centers so much that I tried to get in there when I could. It's just a nice quiet area for you and the baby to rest during the feeding.

My DD went to WDW at 4 months, then again at 8 months and again at 11 months. All three times she nursed. We nursed everywhere and we got to be quite good at it ;). I never received any dirty looks and I think I was less than discreet about it. The baby cried and yes, I popped a boobie in her mouth :D. The worst was at the 8 month "looky-loo" stage where other things were more interesting while she was nursing and I would suddenly be exposed with no warning :o. You need a quick hand with an 8 month old. I had many other people smile at me, a couple actually commented positively about nursing and one 5 year old asked "What is your baby doing?" while waiting for Chef Mickey's.

Once you start nursing you will be surprised at all the mom you now notice at the mall etc. doing the same thing!!! I never even noticed nursing mom/babies until I had DD! Most people won't even bat a eyelash at you and babe taking a nursing stop. It is natural!

It is also a very easy way to feed baby at WDW. No lugging around bottles, formula etc. Wherever you are, food can be served!

Best wishes to you and you soon to be new little one!!!

I also formula fed my first and BF my second. I started out with the intent on being absolutely discreet--but after a few weeks, developed the "My kid's gotta eat, get over it!" attitude! Now I get nostalgic when I see a nursing mom--enjoy it, it's a brief time in their lives! I would also second the "looky-loo" comment--Buzz favored my left one, and loved to latch on, then look around. I'm lucky that one's not down to my knees! ARRGH!

My suggestion is to try to do it without the blanket, the blanket draws more attention to you. I have nursed EVERYWHERE from beaches to churches. The babycenters a great, but a shady spot will work fine. Shade is important at times :)

Remember you can (by law) nurse anywhere you can bottlefees.
If you need any BF support let me know, I know some great sites.

No blanket...loose shirt and practice, practice, practice nursing in public before you go. And if anyone DARES give you a 'dirty look', just stick your tongue out at them :p I am pretty confident though you will more likely get lots of smiles from other BTDT moms like myself who think you are a hero.

And if you're too tired to be discreet on a bench, use those Baby Centers.

By the way... I think it varies by state but here in NJ it is ILLEGAL for anyone to tell you that you cannot breastfeed in a public place. That goes for malls, restaurants, park benches, department stores and anywhere else public. BFing is an absolute right and the greatest gift a mother can give to her child. Anyone who thinks it's 'nasty', needs to just get their mind out of the gutter, IMHO. (stepping down off my soapbox now!)

I've been checking out people's responses since I posted my pro-BF reply. I'd just like to say HOOORRRAAAYYYY for all the BF-ing supporters out there!!!!!

Makes me want to have another bundle of joy just so I can do it again.......well......maybe not:jester: :jester:

My suggestion is to try to do it without the blanket, the blanket draws more attention to you.
I completely agree.

I nursed on every dark ride or show in WDW at one point or another. Never a problem. Just remember that people would much rather you feed a hungry or fussy baby than listen to him/her be unhappy - or listen to you say "excuse me" over and over while you try to exit to the end of the row.

Depending on when you're going, I found it very easy to nurse while the baby was in the baby sling. And nobody! could tell. (I still remember my friend's husband leaning over to "look at the baby" while the baby was nursing in the grocery store. He was standing less than three feet from me and didn't know. :) ) It may not be practical to wear a sling in July, but it's definitely an option in the winter!

Good luck. There's a lot of positive literature available, especially if you need a little extra help getting started. Feel free to e-mail me. It's one of the best parenting decisions I feel I've made. My mom wasn't able to breastfeed and I really understand now why she was disappointed.

In Florida it is illegal for anyone to ask a breasfeeding mother to stop. This is a very pro-breastfeeding state.

I agree that it is ALWAYS much easier to nurse WITHOUT a blanket/shawl. Done correctly, no one will even know. And since it is quite warm here, no additional layers are needed.

There are nursing stations, benches, and hotels to make your nursing experience a good one. Keep baby happy by carrying him in a sling. It can also be used as a sunshield or to cover an "exposed spots" while nursing. I use mine as a prop for my arm while nursing. The Disney rental strollers are great for older babes but not infants.

Good luck and Congratulations!,
Mom to 3 under 6.

We are going to WDW in August with our DD who will turn 3 months old upon arrival and DS 3 yo. I BF DS until he was four months old and unfortunately weaned himself. I never BF in public though, since I was unsure about it, we gave him a bottle in restraunts etc. I was never shy about BFing infront of family or friends, I just never mastered a comfortable technique.

I'm doing much better with DD, in fact she rarely takes a bottle ( only when I'm sleeping and DH feeds her on his "shift", but this is rare). I just don't know how to be discrete. Lets just say I'm well endowed (size 42h) and I have to hold my breast with one hand so it doesn't suffocate her.:o This leaves the other hand to hold the baby, and I'm not really able to stay covered up in this manner. August will be too hot for a sling, she already gets overheated easily. I also use a nursing pillow at home to porp her up at the right angle. Any pointers on being discrete? I have a very nervous husband too, he gets very uncomfortable when other people get uncomfortable around me. I also have a hard time finding nursing shirts in my size (24). Right now I don't have any because the ones I found in the cataloge were $40 each for a short sleeve t-shirt.

I really want to enjoy our trip and not be running for the baby centers. Although, with the heat in August, I may like them, but I want to be able to BF whenever I need to. Thanks for any advice.

wow Jacksmom99, you sound alot like me....well endowed with a nervous husband....lol! It AINT easy being well endowed and bfing in public. I did not use nursing shirts at all - too expensive and I thought they were all ugly. I preferred button down oversized shirts (like a 3x/4x or so depending on the style- so there was lots of room to move around and fit the baby just underneath - I already had them from being pg with twins!) and tee shirts that I could just lift up. But although she is a newborn now, by three months she'll be bigger, and you'll both be more comfortable, and you won't be so worried about suffocating her. I always had to hold my breast too, and I was not too fond of the sling but I used it in public because it hid alot. You could use the sling and find airconditioned places to nurse. You could also use a really light cotton receiving blanket to cover if you really don't want to use the sling. I think the baby center probably isn't as bad as you think and I bet they have nursing pillows so that may be one place where you get to have a really good 'session' and then around the parks you would do quick 5 minute feedings to keep her hydrated in the heat. I also always had kids who got overheated easily and I would sometimes use a wet rag to cool them off, as long as we weren't going into an airconditioned place before they could dry off. Frankly, I never mastered a comfortable technique for public bfing - I always felt awkward but as for people looking I just felt like TOO BAD my kids have to eat and this is they way they do it. And I was in many situations where my dh was more concerned than anyone around me so I told him to go for a walk and just let us do our business and come back in 10 minutes. Worked out very well!! Good luck and maybe we'll see you in the baby center in August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter