Breakfast/Lunch/Brunch decision to make

PixieT78

Mouseketeer
DH and I are heading down for a WDW/UO trip in just over a month (yay!). It's mostly a UO trip but we are going to MNSSHP on our arrival day, which is a Sunday. We're staying for one night at the Contemporary so we can get back to our room easily that night (we did not enjoy the wait for the monorail after MVMCP last year!) and a short stay here is all that is in the budget so I don't see it happening again! I'm excited to stay here though!

Since we are heading to the HRH on Monday, we had booked into Chef Mickey's for breakfast. My thinking is that it would be fun to meet some characters (we'll be focusing on rides/parade/fireworks at the party) and also that it is super convenient since we can just leave the bags in our room and check out after (our ADR is for 9:30).

However, after reading a bunch of TR which had Sanaa in them, I'm wondering if that would be a better choice. It has always been on my radar, especially for lunch, but so far we haven't been able to fit it into previous trips. The idea is we'd take the bus from MK/TT to get there for an early lunch (currently have an ADR for 11:30) as I assume we can have the Contemporary bell services hold our bags so we don't have to drag them with us (we'd have a large suitcase and likely two backpacks). Are we still able to book a Minnie Van for the way back or is it an issue since we'd technically be checked out by then?

Does it sound like more trouble than it is worth? We'd also still need to get to HRH after lunch and we want to do a stop at Target or a grocery store for some supplies so I'm not sure you can do that many stops with the same Uber/Lyft (if we were to go from Sanaa to Contemporary to get our bags to a grocery store to HRH)?

TIA!

I'd say keep it simple.. that is a lot of back and forth.. I know they say the food is amazing at Sanaa and not so amazing at Chef Mickeys.. but if you want characters.. and you dont have your own way of transportation.. I would stick with breakfast at CM!

Can you rent a car for the afternoon? Then you could pack all your stuff and take it with you and use it to go to the store.

Sanaa is great, but that's a lot of back and forth for just for lunch. I agree that the food at Chef Mickey's is not good. I would suggest checking out some other restaurants in the MK area. The Wave right at CR is great for breakfast. Or take the monorail over to 1900 Park Fare for a better character breakfast. You can also boat to WL from CR (it's so nice!) and have breakfast at Whispering Canyon, which is a lot of fun (get the skillet!)

Have you looked st the Wave at the Contemporary for breakfast? Personally I wouldn’t eat at Chef Mickeys, but it would be nice to find right st the Contemporary.

Ohana has a nice character breakfast too and that would just be a monorail ride if you really wanted characters.

I'd say keep it simple.. that is a lot of back and forth.. I know they say the food is amazing at Sanaa and not so amazing at Chef Mickeys.. but if you want characters.. and you dont have your own way of transportation.. I would stick with breakfast at CM!

Thank you!

Can you rent a car for the afternoon? Then you could pack all your stuff and take it with you and use it to go to the store.

This is an interesting option - do you know how I could do that (ie what companies are near both the Contemporary and UO?) I've never rented a car for that short of a period of time!

Sanaa is great, but that's a lot of back and forth for just for lunch. I agree that the food at Chef Mickey's is not good. I would suggest checking out some other restaurants in the MK area. The Wave right at CR is great for breakfast. Or take the monorail over to 1900 Park Fare for a better character breakfast. You can also boat to WL from CR (it's so nice!) and have breakfast at Whispering Canyon, which is a lot of fun (get the skillet!)

1900 Park Fare we did on the last trip and it was so fun - Alice and Pooh had an awesome interaction together that totally made the morning for us! I thought breakfast at CM was ok but it sounds like it isn't! WL might be an option though!

Have you looked st the Wave at the Contemporary for breakfast? Personally I wouldn’t eat at Chef Mickeys, but it would be nice to find right st the Contemporary.

Ohana has a nice character breakfast too and that would just be a monorail ride if you really wanted characters.

I'll look at the Wave! I preferred the characters at CM as opposed to Ohana but maybe I should revist how much I want the character experience vs good food/experience.

Thanks for the input!! Sometimes I get a bit carried away haha.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I haven't done Chef Mickeys in forever, but given that it is consistently poor reviews I'd steer clear characters or not. The Wave on the other hand is one of our favorite breakfasts, and I don't care for buffets, so that is saying a lot. It doesn't have as many options as others but is executed well. Another option would be to take the boat to Ft. Wilderness for Trails End which is also infinitely better than CMs.

Look into enterprise... they will come and pick you up.. and there are enterprises EVERYWHERE so returning somewhere else shouldn't be an issie!

I agree that I'd eat at The Wave over Chef Mickey's. I've never eaten at Chef Mickey's, but with all the reviews I've read, I never will. The Wave sounds so much nicer, better food for sure.

I also agree, at trip over to AKL just for Sanaa is too much back and forth; totally not worth wasting your time IMHO. Yes, I've heard it's good, but not worth the trek (especially since then you're going to check into HRH with a Target stop along the way).

Thanks again all for the reality check :)

I've moved our reservation to Whispering Canyon (that skillet sounds amazing) as it seems more reasonable to get to, as well as better food, but also like somewhere we wouldn't necessarily be able to fit in on a future trip. However I haven't ruled out just going to the Wave either to keep things simple!

I've moved our reservation to Whispering Canyon (that skillet sounds amazing) as it seems more reasonable to get to, as well as better food, but also like somewhere we wouldn't necessarily be able to fit in on a future trip. However I haven't ruled out just going to the Wave either to keep things simple!
Either one is a good choice. There is a nice boat ride between the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge.

I think you will love it! It's a beautiful boat ride from CR to WL. WL is gorgeous and the WCC skillet is SO yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter