Brave Ken

WDWfan uk

<font color=red>.... but you can call me Shirley :
I hope you won't mind me sharing this :-

Ken was working in the police force until he discovered that he had cancer in his thigh and hip and needed a long time off for treatment.

We (and of course he and his family) were shocked - not Ken! Ken had run in the marathon in aid of Lupus ( a mutual friend is a sufferer). Ken had received a bravery award from the Prime Minister for diving into a local river and attempting to rescue the teenagers trapped under water in their car that had sped off the road and sunk to the river bed. He worked in the special armed unit off and on - very fit people in that unit. (Ken would work out every day and never smoked).

Ken's cancer has unfortunately spread and he had a lung removed a couple of weeks ago, but whilst in hospital the surgeon has informed them that the remaining lung has a problem and Ken is dying and probably will not live very much longer.

He is 39 and has a son age 13, the same age as mine (they were in class together at Primary School) and a daughter age 10.

He has booked his wife and children a holiday with mutual friends for next year - there is no ticket for Ken.

He has also organised his own funeral and sorted everything out so Debbie does not have to worry.

Although he walks with a profound limp and is breathless, he is cheerful and busy, not stopping for a moment.

His son has organised a cricket match for fathers versus sons at our local cricket club this Sunday in which he and Sam will take part, and my DH and son will also as well as friends of ours.

I am SO determined that I am going to go and watch part of the match and be as cheerful as he wants us all to be - hopefully he won't need us to tell him how much we admire him, as he will see it from the way we behave and the smiles we will wear.

I don't know why I am posting this or even how to end it except that I am so deeply touched at the way he and his family are dealing with their situation. When Ken is gone, I'm sure Debbie and the children will be devastated, but he has set the stage for them not to be surrounded in pity but to ensure they live their lives to their full potential.

Shirley
I dont know what to say, that is so very sad. What a brave man! My thoughts are with Ken and his family, and you and all his friends.

This is so sad, but also so very inspirational - Ken must be an exceptional man, husband, father and friend.

Shirley ~

Ken is approaching his illness with the dignity that everyone hopes to do. He truly is an inspirational man. My thoughts and prayers are with Ken, his family and friends at this difficult time.

Oh Shirley.......what a brave and courageous man?

I am so, so sorry ~ my thoughts and prayers will be with him, his family and you all.

Such inspiration! So very sad.

Goodness, when you read about men like Ken, their suffering and the way they are dealing with life, everything else is put into perspective.

I hope the cricket match is a huge success.

My thoughts are with Ken and his familey.

Astrid x

How very,very sad. What a wonderful man. His family must be so very proud of him.
Tracy

Thanks for posting this Shirley, it helps us put all our little trials and tribulations in the proper context when you read of such courage and sadness.

I hope the cricket match is a wonderful success.

Paul

With very best wishes to Ken and his family and may they get all the support they need.
Claire

I occasionally wonder how I would behave if I were in such a situation. I love to imagine I could deal with it in the way that Ken is, but being realistic I'm sure I wouldn't have the strength of character to pull it off. Life really is a precious and wonderful gift and we should live each day to the full. I think Naveed and I were discussing this very concept on Saturday, although I didn't know about Ken at the time.

I shall be thinking about you all on Sunday.

Goodness, I cannot imagine how Ken has come to terms with his illness the way he has. What a courageous, selfless person he is.

I hope and pray he will not suffer - nor his family.

Please let us know how things progress and I truly hope the cricket match is a huge success, it's no more than Ken and his family deserve.

Shirley,

Thanks for sharing this - very touching.

I can't really add to what others have said already, although like Deb said, I wonder how I would cope or react in the same situation?

Keep us posted on any further developments etc.

Thankyou Shirley for sharing this with us.
It made me sit up and think about how little time all of us have here ,some shorter than others. And how we should all make every day special to those around us in some way. I'll be thinking of you all on Sunday.
Jeanette

The cricket match was a great success :) ....... a lot of fun and laughter (far more raucous than most cricket matches - there was a serious match being played on the next field and we saw a few heads peer over the hedge when us girls were heckling a little too much :teeth: )

Ken really enjoyed it - especially as the Dads beat the Lads!! (only just!). And in spite of the forecast, we had great weather too :) !

Great news, sounds like a fun time was had by everyone (apart from those on the other pitch:p ).

I thought of you yesterday afternoon whilst putting our teams cricket teas out and watching a huge black cloud coming over (never did rain, all those ridiculous forecasts of terrible weather all weekend:rolleyes: ).

Here's to Ken and his family

Glad to hear the day was such a success and that Ken enjoyed it :)

I thought of you all several times yesterday. So pleased it was a success and that the weather held out. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter