Boys wearing mouse ears-

riddlemethis

Disney Mom
Hi everyone,

I wanted to do some DIY projects with the kids and make some mouse ears.

It never occurred to me that girls wear ears and boys wear.. hats?

Is that a thing?

I caught wind of a comment along those lines on the boards. We're pretty do-whatever wear-whatever people so it doesn't matter TOO much. I am just wondering. :0

Thanks!

I've seen girls with hats and boys with headbands, it's just a personal preference.

I don't know how old your son is, but by 5 years old DS was associating headbands with girls' hair accessories and would have flipped if I gave him one, even with ears. I would ask him which he prefers first.

I had trouble getting any of my kids to wear headbands, even my daughter. They seemed to just annoy them more than anything.

I splurged and bought my 4 year old son a hat with mouse ears and I'm sooo glad I did. He wore that thing constantly, and he loved it!

My son wore this mickey hat and these ears the past few times we've visited:

He MUCH preferred the hat, for comfort reasons.

s-l1600.jpg

Boys most definitely can wear mouse ears. There are lots of varieties to suit anyone's taste or style.

I don't know how old your son is, but by 5 years old DS was associating headbands with girls' hair accessories and would have flipped if I gave him one, even with ears. I would ask him which he prefers first.

I would just tell him he doesn't have to genderize things like that, no need to flip out, as no one is challenging his sexuality and gender.

I do think mouse ear headbands are more feminine. Sure a boy could wear them, but I would put my boy in an ear hat unless he specifically picked out a headband himself.

I would just tell him he doesn't have to genderize things like that, no need to flip out, as no one is challenging his sexuality and gender.

True, but trying to rationalize things to a 5 year old doesn't always work. My youngest ds would have refused to wear a headband with ears for the same reason, and I would have said OK, how about a hat then?

I would say a hat with ears for a boy (if you think he will make a stink about a hairband with ears being for girls). You said you are making them yourselves - you can hot glue gun ears onto a baseball hat. And hairbands always give me headaches - either they are too tight or the pinch on the sides of my head.

I just wish there was a more comfortable way than headbands to proudly wear the ears... because I don't do hats! Personal preference, not gender bias, BTW. Any hat is too hot for me, and crushes my hair, too. I have headband leopard print ears and beautiful, sparkly Christmas ones, but can only have them long enough for a picture.

Speaking of head-toppers of any kind, I shopped with my 3 grandchildren for whatever kind of hats/ears they wanted on their first WDW visit. The oldest one, with discerning 4 yr old taste, carefully selected a white ballcap, which appealed to him because of the many characters embroidered on it. His mother was appalled that I would get a white hat for a little guy, thinking only of how dirty it would get. He wore and wore and wore that hat, and it washed like a dream. When his head got too big, his younger brother immediately took over and wore it until it would no sit on his head. Best hat choice ever! Happy memories of watching him chose, and seeing it for years afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter