Boys and Pick-a-Pearl

Surgie2

DIS Veteran
I know our little grandson (age 4) will want to pick-a-pearl since his sister and girls cousins will be doing this. Is there anything for a boy to do with the pearl afterwards? He won't be interested in jewelry so is there anything else that can purchased as a pearl-keeper keepsake?

The store is huge....Perhaps he could pick out a small box and the pearl could be the start of his treasure collection. There are lots of toys in the store....he may also like the option of picking a toy instead of a pearl....he could still enjoy the pearl picking spectacle.

Edited to add....assumed you were doing this in Japan at Epcot

The store is huge....Perhaps he could pick out a small box and the pearl could be the start of his treasure collection. There are lots of toys in the store....he may also like the option of picking a toy instead of a pearl....he could still enjoy the pearl picking spectacle.

Edited to add....assumed you were doing this in Japan at Epcot

Yes, in Japan at the department store. I will give him the option of picking a toy or picking a pearl:)

My daugther picks one every time, my son wanted to pick one last time (he was 8). I got him a shark cage one a necklace to put his pearl in (my daughter got a Minnie cage). He has it in his drawer, he's worn it a couple times, but mostly sits in the drawer. He really enjoyed the process. I think for him, it was a once and done thing.

ETA: I bought the cages online before we went, much cheaper option.

My "kids" (now adults) always loved shopping in Japan! My son enjoyed watching his sister pick a pearl but never wanted to use his $ for that. Pokemon cards were all the rage then and you could get the official Japanese ones there which he coveted. It is fun to let them pick out a japanese candy or treat also.

However, I like the suggestion of letting him pick out a special little box or something to store/display his pearl in if he chooses to do that. :)

The little glass bottle with blue sand in it was $5.00 when we did it, but that was five years ago, so it may have gone up. My son and daughter both opted for that and keep it with their "treasures."

He could always take the charm he chooses and connect it to a keychain, or a leather cord to make it a “tropical” looking boys necklace. My son used to do that with sharks teeth and found seashells too. On a cord is definitely a boy look.

My 3 boys did pick a pearl when they were 8 and 6. I bought them pirate treasure chest cages on Etsy before we left and hung them on a leather cord. They loved them!

We did the glass bottle with sand last October and I believe that the cost was still close to $5, though I am not certain of exactly how much it was. They had different colours of sand available to choose from as well.

I know our little grandson (age 4) will want to pick-a-pearl since his sister and girls cousins will be doing this. Is there anything for a boy to do with the pearl afterwards? He won't be interested in jewelry so is there anything else that can purchased as a pearl-keeper keepsake?
My son really enjoyed watching the process but in the end he wanted to get his name written in Japanese more than getting the pearl. Maybe your grandson will find something in there that interests him more.

My DS did this - he wanted to make a necklace for Grandma for mothers day (my mom). He paid for the pearl and for the setting with his own money. He was around 12 at the time. My mom passed away not long after that and he has the necklace back and will probably give to a future wife someday... (he is 19 now).

My 3 boys did pick a pearl when they were 8 and 6. I bought them pirate treasure chest cages on Etsy before we left and hung them on a leather cord. They loved them!

Yes, I was going to say to find something pirate themed, but I don't know if there is anything they sell at Disney. That's a good idea to get them ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!