Boyfriend's First Trip

ohana1221

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!
This June my boyfriend and I will be taking a 6 day trip to Disney World for my 21st birthday. Since I grew up going to Disney, I of course already love it, however I am concerned about him having fun as it's hard for adults who didn't experience the magic growing up to suddenly fall in love with Disney. What are your suggestions for some things at Disney that even adults can't help falling in love with? Also, what are some things you would consider must-do or that make your disney trip special? We already are planning on visiting The California Grill (my family's tradition) and Be Our Guest.

Hi everyone!
This June my boyfriend and I will be taking a 6 day trip to Disney World for my 21st birthday. Since I grew up going to Disney, I of course already love it, however I am concerned about him having fun as it's hard for adults who didn't experience the magic growing up to suddenly fall in love with Disney. What are your suggestions for some things at Disney that even adults can't help falling in love with? Also, what are some things you would consider must-do or that make your disney trip special? We already are planning on visiting The California Grill (my family's tradition) and Be Our Guest.
I took my fiance (then boyfriend) to disney for the first time in 2012 (we were 21 & 22). He did NOT want to go but was "tolerating" disney because it made me happy.

Well needless to say... he has been back 5 times since! I've found it helps to incorporate things he might like into your trip. For example, my boyfriend loves water parks so we always do TL or BB. He also loves steak so I plan date night at Yachtsman. Little things.

My one suggestion:
Go to the parks for two days, take a day off, go to the parks for two days, take a day off, etc.
This way you build in downtime to relax and not be on the go all the time. Agree with the PP about doing something that he likes, depending upon what he and you are into here are some outside the park suggestions:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

@suomyno would you have any suggestions for the Original Poster, when you had to deal with me not being a Disney person to begin with. Then falling in love and obsessing over Disney :P

Me and my boyfriend went to Disney World last year for my birthday. I grew up going on family vacations there, he had only been once as a child. He probably only agreed to go because he knew how happy it would make me. We went for 6 nights. First 4 days I planned everything down to the time we were going to brush our teeth. The last 2 days I let him choose where we would go and what we would do. I completely expected him to say he wanted to relax at the resort (we stayed at the beautiful POR) and drink by the pool. To my surprise he didn't! He wanted to head right back to MK and made me ride space mountain 3 times in a row! Needless to say he now loves Disney just as much as me and we just booked a trip for December.

I don't really have any great advice besides if he enjoys an alcoholic beverage here and there like me and my boyfriend, we started the trip off at Epcot and did a mini "drink around the world". (Get an avocado margarita) Which he thought was fun and was a great start to the trip. We also had dinner at Be our guest and he loved the Sci-fi drive in and the Tune in lounge at Hollywood Studios. He also ended up loving the Indiana Jones stunt show even though he fought me on it at first (short attention span)!

Have an awesome trip!

When I took my husband (then boyfriend) on his first trip to Disney, he was convinced that he was not going to like it. But now he's been back 4 times since then and can't wait to go back for our next trip. I think people just have misconceptions about Disney being just for kids and then their eyes are opened when they actually get to experience it for themselves. That being said, I would try to incorporate things that you know he enjoys. If he likes thrill rides, make it a point to do the roller coasters, if he enjoys a specific type of food, try to get a reservation at that restaurant. Also, maybe try to do a fireworks dessert party? I always enjoy those, nothing beats fireworks and dessert!:earboy2:

I took my boyfriend to WDW for the first time in Dec 2015, and he has now decided he's up for going every year. We visited again in Dec 2016, and we might be back again this Dec. Below are the few things I did with my boyfriend in mind for our two trips:

1. Make room in your schedule for more downtime than you think you need.
Though my boyfriend is in great shape, his feet aren't used to walking as much as we did in the parks. He needed to sit down for a bit between each attraction because his feet hurt for the first few days, and that definitely took a bunch of time.

2. Do not plan anything on the day of arrival.
We used our first day to sleep and relax. The week leading up to travel is particularly stressful for us, and by the time we arrived at our room, we were both incredibly exhausted. Using the first day to relax and sleep in helped us feel recharged by the time we hit the parks the next morning. Also, my boyfriend and I get really grumpy when we are tired and stressed, and that's when arguments ensue. The last place I would ever want to argue with him for no reason is at the parks, so we were both grateful for our recharge day.

3. Write an itinerary based on your reservations, fastpasses, showtime options, and park opening/closing times, and share this itinerary with him.
I wrote our itinerary in Google Sheets and shared it with my boyfriend for easy access. This gave my boyfriend a good idea of what to expect each day. My boyfriend is definitely a planner, and he gets nervous when there is no structure or plan to each day (not just on vacation, but every day in general). Having a written itinerary put him at ease knowing we had a plan, but I also reminded him that we needed to be somewhat flexible in case something unexpected happened. The only changes we made on the fly were a few fastpass adjustments, but that was about it.

4. Try the attractions you like once, and ask him to give feedback on what he likes/doesn't like throughout the day. I was very surprised by my boyfriend's feedback. His favorite attractions were Big Thunder Mountain, the Peoplemover, Spaceship Earth, and the Carousel of Progress. He disliked Star Tours and Space Mountain because they made him dizzy, and I quickly figured out he got dizzy on rides where movement and sight can get distorted or out of sync. We then repeated his favorites with extra time we had, and we avoided rides that would make him dizzy (we skipped Mission: Space for this reason).

5. Take what you already know about him, and plan attractions around those ideas.
My boyfriend LOVES aquariums. We've been to aquariums in every city we have ever visited, and he never gets tired of staring at saltwater exhibits. When I go to WDW with my family, we usually skip The Seas with Nemo and Friends entirely because it's not particularly interesting to us, but with my boyfriend, I planned spending at least an hour in that pavilion. We ended up spending almost 3 hours there. He loved it. I also reserved dinner at the Coral Reef, and he absolutely loved the aquarium view in the restaurant. It was a definite highlight of the trip for him.

6. Don't sweat it and just have fun.
One of the things my boyfriend said made the trip most enjoyable for him was seeing me have as much fun as I did. He said he never saw me happier than when we were at WDW together, and in turn, my happiness made him incredibly happy. He loves going to WDW now, and of course, I love that he loves it!

I know this list isn't specific about attractions and restaurants, but honestly, I think those decisions are best made by the person who knows your boyfriend the best: you! I hope this helps, but more importantly, I hope you guys have a fantastic trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter