• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Boulder Ridge Refurb Has Begun!

I'm feeling pretty genius. I bought a 195 point resale contract last year for 110 point. Our first stay is late November.
I totally told my hubby we should do this (although I secretly wanted to buy here- wait for refurb- sell when people are all excited about the shiny new rooms- & buy into CCV for the longer contract 😂)!! He loved staying at BRV & I’m a big WL fan. :D But since we had already added on in 2021, and then decided to take advantage of the “intro rate” for VGF direct this year …it was a pretty hard “no” for me. But YAY for you!! 🤩🎉

I totally told my hubby we should do this (although I secretly wanted to buy here- wait for refurb- sell when people are all excited about the shiny new rooms- & buy into CCV for the longer contract 😂)!! He loved staying at BRV & I’m a big WL fan. :D But since we had already added on in 2021, and then decided to take advantage of the “intro rate” for VGF direct this year …it was a pretty hard “no” for me. But YAY for you!! 🤩🎉
We got ours at $93 per point back in 2019. (167 points).
We do own at both BRV and CCV, and we've talked a few times about selling BRV post-refurb and rebuying as CCV points, but I'm not sure we actually will unless the resale price makes it a no-brainer. We do love BRV, and you need home resort priority for Fall Frenzy and Holidays. Especially if they make it so 1BRs truly sleep 5 (have a 3rd sleeping surface), we won't want to give that up anytime soon.

We got ours at $93 per point back in 2019. (167 points).
We do own at both BRV and CCV, and we've talked a few times about selling BRV post-refurb and rebuying as CCV points, but I'm not sure we actually will unless the resale price makes it a no-brainer. We do love BRV, and you need home resort priority for Fall Frenzy and Holidays. Especially if they make it so 1BRs truly sleep 5 (have a 3rd sleeping surface), we won't want to give that up anytime soon.
For me, the ONLY thing CCV has/had going for it was the newer room decor. I absolutely LOVE the WL lobby (I mean we own more points at BRV than any other resort), but also love the fact that BRV is separated from the hustle and noise of that awesome space. I like that there is a buffer zone that gives you the sense of separation and exclusivity. And the BRV lobby has to be the most relaxing and intimate space on property. I also think that, on average, you're going to get a far nicer view at BRV. Lastly, I'm not a fan of the CCV room layouts, especially having to walk through the galley kitchen to get to the living room. It's just too obviously side by side converted hotel rooms. No argument on the sleeping capacity benefits, or again, the appearance and furnishing of the rooms.

Again, pre-refurb, the BRV rooms shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath as CCV rooms, but post-refurb I think it's a whole different story.

For me, the ONLY thing CCV has/had going for it was the newer room decor. I absolutely LOVE the WL lobby (I mean we own more points at BRV than any other resort), but also love the fact that BRV is separated from the hustle and noise of that awesome space. I like that there is a buffer zone that gives you the sense of separation and exclusivity. And the BRV lobby has to be the most relaxing and intimate space on property. I also think that, on average, you're going to get a far nicer view at BRV. Lastly, I'm not a fan of the CCV room layouts, especially having to walk through the galley kitchen to get to the living room. It's just too obviously side by side converted hotel rooms. No argument on the sleeping capacity benefits, or again, the appearance and furnishing of the rooms.

Again, pre-refurb, the BRV rooms shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath as CCV rooms, but post-refurb I think it's a whole different story.
I am crossing my fingers on this refurb. I agree with you on the decor - CCV is too "modern" for us, and I don't like the galley kitchens, either. But I hope to retire around 2042, and the Wilderness Lodge is tied for my favorite with the Animal Kingdom Lodge, so I wanted WL points that would extend into retirement. I absolutely want to snowbird for 1-2 months at Disney as part of my retirement plan. :)

It's so weird there's no art. I mean if they're already doing it, it must be all planned and bought, right???
Right? No announcement, no artwork, no messages even on the DVC booking site. I even checked disneyworld.com and no notification of construction for BRV on their booking site for the fall, either. It makes me worried we aren't going to be happy, that they are doing this so quietly. They certainly didn't follow up with any of us who had contacted them asking when the refurb was going to be (I got a reply in early August saying they had no idea when).

It makes me worried we aren't going to be happy, that they are doing this so quietly.
I don’t mean this in a negative way, but I really don’t understand comments like this. It’s not like they snuck in overnight with a can of paint and a carpet cleaner. They are gutting the rooms down to drywall. I mean this sincerely: when you say you’re worried you won’t be happy, what do you mean?

Even if they had told everyone, posted it on the website and did a full blown press release, what they end up doing is what they end up doing.

I don’t mean this in a negative way, but I really don’t understand comments like this. It’s not like they snuck in overnight with a can of paint and a carpet cleaner. They are gutting the rooms down to drywall. I mean this sincerely: when you say you’re worried you won’t be happy, what do you mean?

Even if they had told everyone, posted it on the website and did a full blown press release, what they end up doing is what they end up doing.
That the refurb will take away all the character that made BRV BRV. There's a trend lately in making disney resorts more and more generic, which I don't like. Now, the Poly refurb gives me hope, and I don't REALLY think they would do this, but I'm baffled at the silence from Disney regarding this refurb. And I'm a worrier by nature, so my brain goes "Why are they being silent about this???" :)

That the refurb will take away all the character that made BRV BRV. There's a trend lately in making disney resorts more and more generic, which I don't like. Now, the Poly refurb gives me hope, and I don't REALLY think they would do this, but I'm baffled at the silence from Disney regarding this refurb. And I'm a worrier by nature, so my brain goes "Why are they being silent about this???" :)
I can appreciate a fear of a change in the aesthetic, but I doubt it will be too much different than the test rooms. They didn’t do new rooms to test any new materials or fixtures, and most of the hard goods are long-lead-time items that you don’t just pick out off the Hone Depot website.

I guess what I’m saying is, at some point prior to commencement of the work, Disney decided what those rooms are going to look like, and that’s what they are going to look like whether they shared their vision with anyone or not. So, I don’t think them not previewing the rooms really means anything.

If they had shared images, and everyone hated them, Disney would still have completed the refurb, ignored the “complaints” and that would be that. The only reason to willfully hide something would be to avoid having to change it, which we know they wouldn’t do anyway.

It’s not like your son not wanting to introduce you to his new fiancé for fear you may try to talk him out of it before the wedding.

So IF the original test rooms are what we are getting if you go back and look at the vague pics we were given. The wood tones, the reds and greens, the darker floors, the southwestern style rug, the cream color paint scheme, the awesome picture above the sofa\Murphy bed with Mickey, Pluto and the tent pitched on the cliff what about this is white and sterile? It even looks like they are keeping the original texture on the walls (which is unfortunate). Lets wait to be too critical till we see the final product. If it does turn out to be CCV and SSR then we bring out the pitchforks!

It even looks like they are keeping the original texture on the walls (which is unfortunate).
This I agree with 100%. The existing texture is what we call a “heavy lace” and it really dates the place. In fact, a lace texture was way out of date when the building was built in 2000, with most drywall just about everywhere across the country receiving a knockdown finish.

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of it is to replace the sheet rock entirely. You can’t scrape it off and you can’t add enough mud to smooth it out. A lighter paint tint makes it far less obvious.

This I agree with 100%. The existing texture is what we call a “heavy lace” and it really dates the place. In fact, a lace texture was way out of date when the building was built in 2000, with most drywall just about everywhere across the country receiving a knockdown finish.

Unfortunately, the only way to get rid of it is to replace the sheet rock entirely. You can’t scrape it off and you can’t add enough mud to smooth it out. A lighter paint tint makes it far less obvious.
We can only hope they break out the 40 Grit for this one!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter