Boston: can you suggest a convenient, budget friendly hotel

stiebermom

Mouseketeer
We will be visiting some colleges in the Boston area in early April. I am trying to find a convenient hotel to Wellesley College, Boston College, and Fenway Park. I am thinking a hotel in walking distance to the T, but am unsure if Wellesley College is easily reached via the T. I am looking at the hotelBoston, Embassy Suites in Waltham, Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge, and the Comfort Inn on Morrissey Boulevard in Boston.

All assistance is appreciated. thanks.

Last edited:
Please post your budget. We're probably about the same given what you've listed. But Boston is expensive so it would be good to have a dollar range.

I don't know how comfortable you would be with it, but it could be a fun experience with your teen- near Chinatown, there's Hostelling International Boston. It's really modern and nice, and really convenient to public transit.

Boston hotels are expensive, no matter how you slice it. Most charge a parking fee for cars, too--if possible, don't bring one. (An option is to park at a far-out T station, then T-ing it about town).

We stay at this hotel: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bosfn-residence-inn-boston-back-bay-fenway/ when we're there.

It's not cheap, but the rooms are nice, there's an indoor pool, and the price includes breakfast. It's very close to Fenway and BU--I know you didn't list that, but my DD goes there. There's a couple T-stations nearby (green line). I believe Wellesley is on a commuter line--these are the purple lines that run out to Worcester, Fitchburg, etc.. If you're driving, you could consider doing Wellesley first, parking your car at the T station, and then going in to Boston proper for a day or two, assuming you're driving.

Boston hotels are crazy expensive, esp. in April and May. Hotel Boston (formerly a Best Western) on Commonwealth Avenue is right on the B line and close to Boston College. (http://www.hotelboston.com/) I suggested it to some relatives back when it was a Best Western and they seemed to have no complaints. It would also put you within a reasonable Uber/taxi/Lyft ride of Wellesley. And you'd be staying in a neighborhood where your kid would possibly be living eventually if they went to BC.

For the places you're trying to go, def stick to the green line... so I'd suggest against the Cambridge hotel you listed, and Waltham is not on the trains though you could catch a bus. Don't know the others.

Framingham and Natick are about 20 minutes from Boston and the hotels there would be more reasonable. If you are driving Wellesley College and BC would be right down RT 9 from there. There is a Red Roof Inn there that is not too bad.

Another hotel you could try which is outside the city is the Newton Marriott. It is right near the RT 128 intersection which would be near both colleges and a quick. Into the city. There is a T stop not too far from there.

There is also a Sheraton in Newton which is literally over the Mass Pike.

If you would like to be in the city itself...which BC and Wellesley are not, we like the Copley Marriott as well as the Courtyard right near Copley Place. Copley Place is an indoor shopping mall connected to the Prudential Center with tons of restaurants and shops...great if weather is bad.

Hope this helps!

PS? if you have AAA, Marriott usually has good rates. Good luck!!

Boston hotels are crazy expensive, esp. in April and May. Hotel Boston (formerly a Best Western) on Commonwealth Avenue is right on the B line and close to Boston College. (http://www.hotelboston.com/) I suggested it to some relatives back when it was a Best Western and they seemed to have no complaints. It would also put you within a reasonable Uber/taxi/Lyft ride of Wellesley. And you'd be staying in a neighborhood where your kid would possibly be living eventually if they went to BC.

For the places you're trying to go, def stick to the green line... so I'd suggest against the Cambridge hotel you listed, and Waltham is not on the trains though you could catch a bus. Don't know the others.

So true! We had to book a year out for this May, and gladly paid rack rate. DD is graduating, I would sleep on the T if I had to!

On the good side, Boston is a fun "walking" city, and a great place for college students. And to the OP, DD takes Ubers fairly frequently for things the T doesn't work for. She absolutely loves living there.

We will be visiting some colleges in the Boston area in early April. I am trying to find a convenient hotel to Wellesley College, Boston College, and Fenway Park. I am thinking a hotel in walking distance to the T, but am unsure if Wellesley College is easily reached via the T. I am looking at the hotelBoston, Embassy Suites in Waltham, Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge, and the Comfort Inn on Morrissey Boulevard in Boston.

Hi..... Groupon has two Hotels, ( Perfect Location for jumping on the T and South Station) Omni Parker House and Boston Hotel Buckminster - Boston, MA

82.00 and 95.00 rooms weekdays until the end of April. Also, the trolley pass is on sale. One of the trolleys has 16 different stops. Including Fenway and Cambridge.

You can jump off and on all day for the one price. Have Fun!

The Subway (T) and South Station are with in walking distance.

The Subway will get you to BC and Fenway.

The Trolley will take you all over Boston including Fenway!

You can get to Wellesley , If you do not mind a little walking.

Amtrak (South Station) train and a 20 minute walk.
Inter-city Rail: Take Framingham/Worcester Line - Worcester

Depart: South Station
South Station
Back Bay
Yawkey
Newtonville

West Newton
Auburndale
Wellesley Farms
Wellesley Hills
Wellesley Square

Arrive: Wellesley Square

Previous stop is Wellesley Hills

If you reach Natick Center, you've gone to far.

OR Skip South Station and take the Orange Line (T) to the Back Bay and start from there

It can be done!

Last edited:

OP, I haven't been to Boston in ages so I was hoping a local would chime in. Wellesley is nowhere near Fenway Park. You cannot get to Wellesley on the T (subway system). I don't recall if you can even get there on the commuter rail. You can get to the general vicinity of Boston College on the T, but as I recall the school itself is not near the T stop. If you aren't planning to drive to each school, maybe you could take a cab, but it could be expensive. I think you need to think about transportation not just a nice cheap hotel. It feels like the comments here weren't quite addressing your original question about those particular schools.

BC is at the end of one of the green T lines. I have no idea how close the stop is to the actual college--I'm not allowed to visit there, my DD goes to BU, and she would disown me. Needham would get you closest to Wellesley.
subway-spider.png

Hyatt place in Medford was fantastic. We stayed there last may. Their rooms were large with a living room, great breakfast and their shuttle service took us to the metro for free. I got it on Hotwire for about $100 a night.

Note: The T (MBTA) map shown above is highly morphed (particularly the Green Line) and you cannot estimate distances or get accurate north-east-south-west relationships to points of interest (such as Boston College or Wellesley College or Fenway Park) using a ruler.

Note: The T (MBTA) map shown above is highly morphed (particularly the Green Line) and you cannot estimate distances to points of interest (such as Boston College or Wellesley College) using a ruler.

Very true. That's what the maps look like that they publish, but it's stylized, not to scale. It does give you a good idea of how the lines run and intersect, though.

I am looking at the hotelBoston, Embassy Suites in Waltham,

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites in Waltham a couple of times. It's about 20 minutes outside Boston in an office type area, there isn't really anything within walking distance of this hotel other than Costco, but it does have the evening reception (which does not include alcohol like other Embassy Suites due to Massachusetts law) and hot breakfast.

I went back and checked, because it's been years since I lived in MA and just wanted to clarify some earlier posts about how to get to Wellesley without a car. (I worked in Natick.) :) It's easy to do. Get on the Worcester/Framingham commuter rail at South Station and get off at Wellesley Square. Make sure the train says FRAMINGHAM. Some of the trains on that line don't stop until they get past Framingham (These will be labelled Worcester, if I remember correctly). Some only go as far as Natick and turn around. Some hit all the stops from Boston to Worcester and will be labelled as Framingham/Worcester. It's about 30 minutes from the time you board the train. The train will deposit you a block or two from campus.

You can get to the general vicinity of Boston College on the T, but as I recall the school itself is not near the T stop.

Nope. The train goes right to Boston College on the Green line B branch. BC is also fairly close to Reservoir stop on the D line (and kind of Chestnut Hill stop) and Cleveland Circle on the C line, where all 3 branches come within a few hundred yards of each other.

OP, not much to be said, hotels are expensive in and around Boston so you need to come up with a budget and figure it out from there or get creative and figure what is doable from perhaps a commuter rail situation. Would be glad to answer any BC related questions you may have. :)

I can't speak to the other hotels you listed but I would avoid using the Comfort Inn on Morrissey Blvd. it's not super easily accessible to the T line. There is a Marriot in Quincy that is close to the Quincy Adams T stop I believe has a shuttle.

I work in Boston and live near Waltham. Waltham has a number of hotels and motels and is very convenient - I would check Trip Advisor for some other Waltham hotels besides Embassy Suites. Hilton Garden Inn is nice. Avoid the Extended Stay Hotel - we stayed there when our home burned down and it is a dump. Cambridge is also convenient. I would avoid Morrissey Boulevard.

We have a room booked at the Residence Inn in Woburn during April school break. There will be 6 of us--so we needed either a large room or 2 rooms. We're hoping to use public transportation in to Boston for sightseeing/redsox game. Is this doable? I haven't seen Woburn mentioned in this thread--now I'm concerned we made a bad choice.

I work in Boston and live near Waltham. Waltham has a number of hotels and motels and is very convenient - I would check Trip Advisor for some other Waltham hotels besides Embassy Suites. Hilton Garden Inn is nice. Avoid the Extended Stay Hotel - we stayed there when our home burned down and it is a dump. Cambridge is also convenient. I would avoid Morrissey Boulevard.

We stay in Waltham when visiting family. There are a cluster of nice hotels right off the highway that can be very reasonable, depending on the dates. We've stayed at the Marriott and the Hilton and been very happy. Embassy Suites always gets good reviews. The new Residence Inn in Watertown is one we will probably try... great chain and excellent location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter