Borrowing Points

dreamit

DIS Veteran
I’m new to all this, and am trying to get a good understanding of booking, banking and borrowing. I have a December UY. If I book a March 2021 reservation today that requires borrowing (less than 50%) 2021 points and I later cancel the reservation, what happens to the borrowed points? Am I stuck with keeping them in the 2020 UY or will they revert back to 2021 UY points?

They will stay in your 2020 UY and expire November 30th, if you cancel less than 31 days out, those points will also have holding restrictions which means you can only use them again for trips 60 days or less from check in,

Right now, due the closures, they have temporarily changed things and are returning, but that can end at any time. I would not borrow expecting this rule to still be in place and would assume normal rules will apply.

They will stay in your 2020 UY and expire November 30th, if you cancel less than 31 days out, those points will also have holding restrictions which means you can only use them again for trips 60 days or less from check in,

Right now, due the closures, they have temporarily changed things and are returning, but that can end at any time. I would not borrow expecting this rule to still be in place and would assume normal rules will apply.
Thank you! I’m glad I asked. The DVC QA person who reviewed the rules with me only advised of the 31 day issue, but said otherwise a cancellation results in everything going back to how it was prior to making the reservation. I’m looking at making a “maybe” reservation that uses banked and current points while contemplating adding one more day that would then involve borrowing points. To be safe, I won’t add the extra day to the reservation.

Thank you! I’m glad I asked. The DVC QA person who reviewed the rules with me only advised of the 31 day issue, but said otherwise a cancellation results in everything going back to how it was prior to making the reservation. I’m looking at making a “maybe” reservation that uses banked and current points while contemplating adding one more day that would then involve borrowing points. To be safe, I won’t add the extra day to the reservation.

Sometimes the way they say it is confusing and say, just returned with the same status, which could Make someone think borrowing is undone.

You can read all the information in the Home Rules and Regulations Document on the website.

I've noticed recently that the 50% borrowing restriction shows in the online booking tool, in that it shows me what is available to borrow, and the # it displays is only 50% of the # of points available in my contracts. This even includes contracts I've borrowed from; it's accurately showing only 50% of the remaining points.

The one exception to this is a contract I had borrowed from pre-covid (and pre the restrictions rules), which I later cancelled. The borrowed 2021 points were returned. That contract I borrowed everything for a series of reservations, and in this particular case 16 points only ended up returned to 2021. When I go to book any reservation, it shows that I have 16 points I could borrow from 2021.

Does that mean I could actually borrow those 16 points again? Or would it run afoul of the restrictions and the reservation get cancelled? (Note that I'm actually unlikely to re-borrow them, but I'm just curious to know if anyone knows the rules around this in case anyone else encounters this).

Is the online booking tool actually enforcing the 50% borrow restriction now, given that it's accurately displaying the 50% available to borrow?

I've noticed recently that the 50% borrowing restriction shows in the online booking tool, in that it shows me what is available to borrow, and the # it displays is only 50% of the # of points available in my contracts. This even includes contracts I've borrowed from; it's accurately showing only 50% of the remaining points.

The one exception to this is a contract I had borrowed from pre-covid (and pre the restrictions rules), which I later cancelled. The borrowed 2021 points were returned. That contract I borrowed everything for a series of reservations, and in this particular case 16 points only ended up returned to 2021. When I go to book any reservation, it shows that I have 16 points I could borrow from 2021.

Does that mean I could actually borrow those 16 points again? Or would it run afoul of the restrictions and the reservation get cancelled? (Note that I'm actually unlikely to re-borrow them, but I'm just curious to know if anyone knows the rules around this in case anyone else encounters this).

Is the online booking tool actually enforcing the 50% borrow restriction now, given that it's accurately displaying the 50% available to borrow?

I do know points that were returned can be borrowed again but are now subject to the 50% rule. So, if those 16 being returned put you back under 50%, you could borrow up to the 50%. Since you are currently above it, those would not be allowed.

Cant answer if it would let you borrow more I have not tried. But if it does, they’d catch and cancel.

My one contract that is over the 50% but grandfathered shows my borrowing limit is negative. 300 points and I borrowed 205 before rule so it says -55

Last edited:
I do know points that were returned can be borrowed again but are now subject to the 50% rule. So, if those 16 being returned put you back under 50%, you could borrow up to the 50%. Since you are currently above it, those would not be allowed.

Cant answer if it would let you borrow more I have not tried. But if it does, they’d catch and cancel.

My one contract that is over the 50% but grandfathered shows my borrowing limit is negative. 300 points and I borrowed 205 before rule so it says -55
I only have those 16 points on the contract left in 2031 but the tool shows I can borrow all 16 points. I haven’t tried to use them and probably my won’t as I don’t need to borrow points, but it did make me curious if I could borrow them.

I only have those 16 points on the contract left in 2031 but the tool shows I can borrow all 16 points. I haven’t tried to use them and probably my won’t as I don’t need to borrow points, but it did make me curious if I could borrow them.

They told me that you are held to the 50% rule going forward so if grandfathered points get sent back before you get to use them again, they are no longer grandfathered.

It is one of the reasons that if you want them to stay borrowed and cancel, put them in something or the system will sweep them up on you and you will be stuck. This happened to me with some points so the others I got into a reservation quickly and rearranged things.

Not sure why it shows like that...wait, good old Disney IT!

OK, I feel like I should know this;
I made an 11-months out reservation using some borrowed points. I know right now the rules are different and I could probably cancel and have everything returned to the original year as if the reservation never happened - I'm not talking about that. What I'm wondering is, if I cancel later and the original rules are in affect, can I bank the 2022 points that have been borrowed into 2021? I would be able to bank the 2021 points - seems like I should be able to bank the borrowed 2022 points too. I understand I would not be able to bank them into 2023.

OK, I feel like I should know this;
I made an 11-months out reservation using some borrowed points. I know right now the rules are different and I could probably cancel and have everything returned to the original year as if the reservation never happened - I'm not talking about that. What I'm wondering is, if I cancel later and the original rules are in affect, can I bank the 2022 points that have been borrowed into 2021? I would be able to bank the 2021 points - seems like I should be able to bank the borrowed 2022 points too. I understand I would not be able to bank them into 2023.

Once borrowed, they are now part of that UY and expire at the end of that UY.

Banking borrowed points would be the same thing as simply unborrowing, So, no, that is not allowed,

So, if you borrow, it’s a final transaction and cant be moved a second time,

That is why what they are doing now is the exception to the rule.

Once borrowed, they are now part of that UY and expire at the end of that UY.

Banking borrowed points would be the same thing as simply unborrowing, So, no, that is not allowed,

So, if you borrow, it’s a final transaction and cant be moved a second time,

That is why what they are doing now is the exception to the rule.
So you can bank all of your points but only borrow 50%? All borrowed points need to be used in the year you brought them forward or lose them?

How many years can you use points if you bank them?

If I have a 100 point contract can I use them every 3rd year and make a reservation with 300 points? I assume that reservation Would need to be made at 7 months when combining banked points?

So you can bank all of your points but only borrow 50%? All borrowed points need to be used in the year you brought them forward or lose them?

How many years can you use points if you bank them?

If I have a 100 point contract can I use them every 3rd year and make a reservation with 300 points? I assume that reservation Would need to be made at 7 months when combining banked points?

The status of the points play no role in when you can book. You can book any time 11 months for home resort and 7 months for the rest

Right now, bowling is limited to 50% but in normal times you can borrow all. We do not know when DVC will change it back.

Banked Points are extended one year. So, with an100 point contract, you can bank points, and then borrow to make a trip which would currently give you 250. As I said, in normal times, yes, it would be 300 for every 3rd year.

you can use banking and borrowing to move points up or back ONE use year. banking and borrowing are FINAL transactions - once moved, the points will expire if not used to complete a stay during their new use year. (i.e. You cannot bank 100 pts from 2019 UY into the 2020 UY and then bank those same points into your 2021 UY later.)

Ok , so I have a February use year, if I use all my 2022 points for a summer trip in 2022, and I need to borrow 50% of 2023. If I end-up not going , all the points would expire on January 31 2023. Or is it just the 2023 points that will expire in January 2023 ? In other words can I still bank my 2022 points ?

Ok , so I have a February use year, if I use all my 2022 points for a summer trip in 2022, and I need to borrow 50% of 2023. If I end-up not going , all the points would expire on January 31 2023. Or is it just the 2023 points that will expire in January 2023 ? In other words can I still bank my 2022 points ?
You can still bank your 2022 points as long as you cancel your reservation 31 days ahead of the booking otherwise they normally would go into holding after that window closes. Right now points aren’t going into holding because they don’t want anyone to be “forced” to feel like they have to go on their trips potentially sick or actually sick with COVID because will lose money. That could change at any time so especially for a booking in 2022 I’d assume the points usage is back to normal rules. Banking for Feb use year needs to be completed by the last day of September. The borrowed points from 2023 would still be stuck in 2022 UY and therefore expire Jan 31, 2023.

You can still bank your 2022 points as long as you cancel your reservation 31 days ahead of the booking otherwise they normally would go into holding after that window closes. Right now points aren’t going into holding because they don’t want anyone to be “forced” to feel like they have to go on their trips potentially sick or actually sick with COVID because will lose money. That could change at any time so especially for a booking in 2022 I’d assume the points usage is back to normal rules. Banking for Feb use year needs to be completed by the last day of September. The borrowed points from 2023 would still be stuck in 2022 UY and therefore expire Jan 31, 2023.
Thanks, I knew I missed something , and it is: I have to cancel more than 31 days before the trip.

First time I’ve borrowed and I think I’m now in a pickle.

I’m a December UY and borrowed from 2021 for a November 2021 trip that now looks like we have to cut short. I will be out those borrowed points now correct?

what a bummer.

First time I’ve borrowed and I think I’m now in a pickle.

I’m a December UY and borrowed from 2021 for a November 2021 trip that now looks like we have to cut short. I will be out those borrowed points now correct?

what a bummer.
Any borrowed points not used by 12/1/2021 will expire. In fact, even current use year points expire then if not used or banked before the end of your use year.

Are all the points for the trip borrowed? If not, when you modify the trip to drop days, the system will first use borrowed points & then return current use year points. If you decide before the end of July, you can bank the current use year points. You could also transfer current use year points to another member anytime before they expire.

If you decide soon enough, you could also deposit current and/or borrowed points into RCI. I don't remember the deadline to do that, but it should be sometime after July 31.

Sorry you might have to shorten the trip.

I just checked. I borrowed 26 from the December 2021 UY, and the dates I need to remove from the reservation comes out to 66 points. If the system uses the borrowed points first then I should be okay to bank 40?

it seems little silly to be obsessing over 26 points but when you love Run Disney and try to squeeze in 2-3day trips beyond the big family vacay it does add up!These are the “leftover” points that get me there.

lastly, multi use year people, you amaze me. I could easily see myself messing something up at some point with that.

I just checked. I borrowed 26 from the December 2021 UY, and the dates I need to remove from the reservation comes out to 66 points. If the system uses the borrowed points first then I should be okay to bank 40?

it seems little silly to be obsessing over 26 points but when you love Run Disney and try to squeeze in 2-3day trips beyond the big family vacay it does add up!These are the “leftover” points that get me there.

lastly, multi use year people, you amaze me. I could easily see myself messing something up at some point with that.

As long as you modify the reservation before the end of July, those 2020 points that are freed up will still be bankable.

If the reservation you is more than then the 26 you borrowed 26, you will free up even more than 40.

So, your trip when shortened will use any banked 2019 points first…if you had them…then the 25 borrowed points…and finish up with your 2020 points.

That is what you should have to bank,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter