Booking your own Dolphin experience...has anyone done this?

mom of a lil pirate

Mouseketeer
So I tried to search through the thread about this, but it was either from long ago or did not include the ports I am looking at. In Costa Maya, the dolphin touch is a 10 minute walk from the ship, you can see it from this ship. If I book on my own it is about $50 cheaper overall. On their site it has info about coming from cruises, so it doesn't seem that they won't take a reservation for cruise passengers. Anyone do this? Did it work out for you? I know I take a chance of missing out if the weather is bad, but is that the only drawback?

I can't speak to this specific dolphin experience, but most places will not let you book on your own if you are coming in on a cruise line that they have a contract with. Some are very insistent that they know how you will be arriving and will not let you book unless you tell them which ship you are on. If you are looking at a place that does not contract with DCL, just make sure you understand the cancellation policy in case you cannot make it because of weather or an itinerary change.

You do want to be honest with them as to what ship you are on. Most have a deal with their customers that if for any reason your ship cannot get in, you do not have to pay. This is especially important at tender ports.

As above, may cruise ships have been able to negotiate "exclusive" contracts with various excursion vendors. In exchange for guaranteeing an certain number of guests each cruise, the vendor agrees to not book guests from that ship privately.

Thanks so much. I will put a call into then today and see if I can do it. I am certainly not going to be sneaky about it and pretend I am staying somewhere else, but if I can save some money being honest I will :) I appreciate all the advice and info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter