Booking ahead of time?

smiths02

DIS Veteran
I have generally booked our Disney packages as soon as we could (about a year in advance).

We are trying to narrow down our Spring Break 2019 vacation choices now. How far out do we need to reserve Portofino Bay? Is there a general discount release schedule? (I know mousesavers has a historical release date for Disney discounts)

Should we bother with getting a package? (I'm guessing we should get tickets by January or so ahead of any price hikes if Universal changes ticket prices around when Disney does)

I would book room only as soon as possible for Spring Break. If rates change, you can just call and have your rate adjusted. I'd purchase tickets at Undercover Tourist or somewhere like that.

I noticed that packages for our stay in August @ HRH went up over $1,000 from the time when we first booked about 7 months ago!

No benefit with booking a package. I agree with PP that there's no harm in booking your room now to secure it for you, and then just check the rates and call to change it if you find a lower one. I also agree with using Undercover Tourist for tickets. If you are going for 4 days or longer, it may behoove you to buy an Annual Pass. The ticket price difference is negligible, and you also get additional discounts around the parks/City Walk with AP. They also have AP room rates at the resorts, but not sure whether any would be available during Spring Break.

Why no benefit? With what I booked it appears to be more expensive to buy ala carte.

Why no benefit? With what I booked it appears to be more expensive to buy ala carte.
If I read your other posts correctly, you booked your package 7 months back?

Prices probably less then compared to what they are today.
Could be what you paid was a good deal.

The one disadvantage with a package for some of us are the penalties involved.
Each time you make a change on a package, $50 fee.
Cancellation policy is different than booking a room out right.

You may be the exception, but in the past when I compared a package to ala cart it was always more expensive with the package (granted I stopped checking after the third time but that was 3 times in 3 different years). Did you compare room/tickets at the same time as you booked your package or are you comparing your package against the rates being quoted now (since hotel prices do increase as supply goes down the prices quoted 7 months ago might have been lower than what’s showing now for your dates). Either way, if you’re saving money that’s awesome- more butterbeer for you!!!

No benefit with booking a package. I agree with PP that there's no harm in booking your room now to secure it for you, and then just check the rates and call to change it if you find a lower one. I also agree with using Undercover Tourist for tickets. If you are going for 4 days or longer, it may behoove you to buy an Annual Pass. The ticket price difference is negligible, and you also get additional discounts around the parks/City Walk with AP. They also have AP room rates at the resorts, but not sure whether any would be available during Spring Break.

Depending upon when Spring Break is for the OP, we have gotten AP discounts twice for our Spring Breaks in 2016 & 2017 during the 2nd or 3rd week of March. The rates came out pretty late though, like late January or sometime in February. We even got an AP rate at Hard Rock.

Agree with PPs that booking a package gives you less flexibility. When you book room only, you have a less strict cancellation period/penalty and you are also free to adjust your room rate as promotions and AP rates become available. In addition, you can also purchase park tickets from Undercover Tourist which is a savings as well. Or, you have the option of purchasing an annual pass which can be a savings depending on how many park days you have and whether you'll take advantage of resort AP rates.

Yes- like the flexibility of room only. It works good for me as it seems that our schedules change and so must our vacation dates!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter