Book water view at YC or stick with standard?

DeterminedOne

DIS Veteran
We currently have the standard view booked but now I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. (I've read too many threads about about how beautiful the marina view is at night.) We previously stayed lagoon view at GF and savannah view at AKL which were wonderful and I would like to have that same wonderful experience at YC. We chose standard view because of the price, but also because I've read that not all water view rooms face the water ... don't want to pay extra for something we may not get. What do you think? :confused3

This is so tough.. we had to make the same decision when we went to the Beach Club in February. Previously, we only stayed at lagoon, water or other premium view rooms. But, we knew we'd be spending a lot of time in the parks that trip (we usually don't do that, we usually spend a good amount of time lounging at the resort) so we booked a standard view. The truth is you will be a little disappointed. And, the standard rooms at the YC and BC usually overlook the entrance, parking area or building roof tops. It's not like staying at the GF in a garden view where the views are still really pretty.

I think it depends on how much time you'll be staying at the resort. If you will there a fair amount, you may be disappointed in a standard view room. And you are right... a good number of water or pool view rooms will overlook a quiet pool and not the lake directly.

There are a select number of standard view rooms at the YC that actually are on the boardwalk side of the resort (not many) so you can always book a standard room and hope you'll get one of those. There is a map of room locations at this link:
YC Map

Good luck! :wizard:

We're heading to BC in August and we've booked standard. I just can't see (for us!!!) paying another $65 per night for a great view. It will be so warm in August and September that I seriuosly doubt that we will be out on our balcony very much at all (if we even get a balcony). Maybe I'm cheap, but for me, I'd rather spend that $$$ on something I can bring home with me. :thumbsup2

We always book waterview at BWI, but when we stayed at BC we booked standard. It didn't seem worth the money for the view there compared to BWI. We were very happy with our decision since we didn't spend that much time at our room anyway. By the way, our room was great and we really enjoyed our stay there. The view didn't even matter to us. :banana:

We stayed at the YC once and only once- and it was a function of us cheaping out on the view. We went standard and ended up with a very dark room overlooking the valet. It was terrible. But we figured no biggie we are never in the room- but with that attitude we should have stayed value. We have had better luck with standard views at the BC although we do generally book Water View. This year we are staying LV Poly. Can't wait have never stayed there in all my years of going! :banana: So my vote is water view.

As many things as there are to do at WDW, how much time do you spend looking out of your window? You would be better off requesting a convenient location within the resort.

Misti said:
This is so tough.. we had to make the same decision when we went to the Beach Club in February. Previously, we only stayed at lagoon, water or other premium view rooms. But, we knew we'd be spending a lot of time in the parks that trip (we usually don't do that, we usually spend a good amount of time lounging at the resort) so we booked a standard view. The truth is you will be a little disappointed. And, the standard rooms at the YC and BC usually overlook the entrance, parking area or building roof tops. It's not like staying at the GF in a garden view where the views are still really pretty.

I think it depends on how much time you'll be staying at the resort. If you will there a fair amount, you may be disappointed in a standard view room. And you are right... a good number of water or pool view rooms will overlook a quiet pool and not the lake directly.

There are a select number of standard view rooms at the YC that actually are on the boardwalk side of the resort (not many) so you can always book a standard room and hope you'll get one of those. There is a map of room locations at this link:
YC Map

Good luck! :wizard:

It's nice to see that you've been in a similar situation. Thanks for your honesty. Thanks everyone who responded.

I have heard that the rooms overlooking the quiet pool at YC are now considered standard view and no longer count as a water view. I've always loved the lagoon view at YC and think sitting out on the balcony looking across to the Boardwalk with the boats during the day and the lights and activity of the Boardwalk at night is as much a favorite part of my vacation as going to the parks. I would definitely miss it myself.

We booked std. view last year and were upgraded to a wonderful room that overlooked the marina! We really lucked out and knowing what great water views they have at the YC would make it hard to book a std. view again. But I definitely would if that was what my budget dictated.

We do LOVE the YC and have to say it is now our favorite! I would stay in a std. view again just because there are so many other things we love about the resort. If I could swing it, I would book a water view room. If not, I would not hesitate to book std. view.

There is also the "overall" ambience at the BC and YC that make staying there well worth it. This applies to all rooms. If staying deluxe and being in a nice hotel are important to you, then the view is secondary. There are lots of nice public areas around the hotel to sit out and enjoy the view and catch Illuminations at night.

If the view is really important to you, I wouldn't leave it up to chance and I'd upgrade. We had a standard view at the YC and we overlooked the parking lot and employee break area. Not a big deal, as our stay was in the colder months and we knew we wouldn't be using the balcony. I would have been really disappointed though, had we planned on sitting out there. A majority of the standard rooms are located on the front side of the resort. As others have mentioned, a few do have better views, but not sure if you want to risk it or not. Depending on what time of year you're going, you might want to wait and see what you get at check-in and if it's not to your liking, then try to upgrade then. You may get lucky and get a complimentary upgrade, or have to pay the difference. Worst case scenario is that resort is full and you have to keep what they give you.

Being an experienced water view room patron at YC, I can tell you that the view is wonderful as long as you do end up with a room that is facing Crescent Lake. The OP is correct in that there are many rooms which are considered water view, but do not directly face the lake.

The one thing I would suggest is to place a request in your room reservation that specifically states that you would like a direct view of Crescent Lake. If you get to your room and feel that your view is not what you had asked for, call down to the desk and see if there is a chance that they can move you, or have them move you down to a standard room at that point. It may be a bit of a hassle, but at least you gave it a try. If you get that "special" view it will be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter