book recommendations for young readers,

wideeyes

<font color=purple>Won't use fake tan, wants to st
My DD is 7 and is a book worm and a very fluent reader for her age however I am having trouble finding suitable books for her as she is finding the books for her age group to easy however I am worried about getting her books for an older reader due to the content as she is a very sensitive child and gets scared and upset easily?

My ds likes a group of books from the happy famillies series, titles such as Mr tick the teacher, Mrs wobble the waitress and Mrs plug the plumber etc, There are about 20 books altogether and they are funny and not at all scary.

We have spent a fortune on books for my DD who is also a very fluent reader and could read some books in an evening.

Molly read the Harry Potter books at that age and enjoyed them.

What about Enid Blyton books - her favourite is The Enchanted Wood series which is a thicker book so takes them a bit longer to read. There is also The WIshing Chair series or Famous Five, Malory Towers etc.

The author Michael Morpurgo has a wide range of books that are very popular in our school library

Hope this gives you some ideas :goodvibes

We have spent a fortune on books for my DD who is also a very fluent reader and could read some books in an evening.

That is what we are finding now, she is reading books from the Animal Rescue series at the moment and finishing by the next day.

I don't think she would cope well with Harry Potter, Roal Dahl would be out to as his stories are quite dark too. The Enchanted Wood books look good so may try her with a couple of those and see how she gets on.

I had the same problem with cara and it got expensive:lmao: But at that age she too was into harry potter and worked her way through whole series. she also loved the Rainbow Fairies books, and there must be well over 100 of them by now, although yes she got through them too fast. however look on ebay for these as there are loads on there at a big saving, highly recommend them!

My DD is reading 'The Invention of Hugo Cabret' by Brian Selznick. She is loving it and it is a truly beautiful book - part novel and part illustrations.

Another vote here for Enid Blyton Lucy loves these books. :)

I am also a big fan of the Enchanted Wood books and the Wishing Chair series. I now have them for my DS as they were a big part of my childhood. I also loved the Famous Five and Naughty Amelia Jane books as they were so exciting and also that little bit more grown up.
I know you said that some of the Roald Dahl books were a bit dark but what about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach?
My DS is 6 and loves to read but I now have a similar problem as some books are too hard and then he gets quite frustrated.

I remember feeling exactly the same with my children - just because they could read the more complex words didn't mean the stories were right for them. I would second the suggestion about the Rainbow Fairies. My daughter also enjoyed My Secret Unicorn series.
Keep a look out online at RedHouse and The Book People - they often sell sets of books for silly prices. One time they had a set of 7 Rainbow Fairies books for £4.99, P&P free.

At that age my DDs loved the Animal Ark series and Home Farm Twins books. I had been a bit dubious about the Roald Dahl books at such a young age too but after finding out the Y2 summer topic was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I bought a set and they were read multiple times.

Have you got a library near you? We're very lucky in that we only live 5 minutes walk from one and this has certainly saved some money over the years.

My DD is 7 and is a book worm and a very fluent reader for her age however I am having trouble finding suitable books for her as she is finding the books for her age group to easy however I am worried about getting her books for an older reader due to the content as she is a very sensitive child and gets scared and upset easily?

Are you familiar with the Rainbow Magic series? They're about fairies and goblins and are very, very popular.

Also, Roald Dahl - although his books can be a bit dark. My DD read George's Marvellous Medicine at that age and was literally stiff with anticipation and excitement!

I would take her to the library and see what books they have for young readers. Animal Ark are also very popular and there's various horsey series(s) as well.

At that age my DDs loved the Animal Ark series and Home Farm Twins books. I had been a bit dubious about the Roald Dahl books at such a young age too but after finding out the Y2 summer topic was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I bought a set and they were read multiple times.

Have you got a library near you? We're very lucky in that we only live 5 minutes walk from one and this has certainly saved some money over the years.

Oops - I should have read your post before posting mine!

Thanks for the suggestions I will check out the rainbow fairy and Animal Ark books too, she loves Animal books.

I am not sure about Roald Dahl yet, I think his stories are a bit to dark for my DD and a lot of his stories have cruel fates to his characters which will just upset her. The film Charlie and The Chocolate Factory really scared her so no chance she will read it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter