Book recomendation for the park?

Pamela M

DIS Veteran
I'm traveling solo for a trip in May. I thought it might be fun to read about Disneyland while in Disneyland. Looking for recommendations on a book that would be good to read while in the park.

Totally blanking on the names....
The Disneyland Encyclopedia (lots of history on people and rides). By the same author, The Book of Disneyland Lists. Some are more in depth than others, but its a fun, easy read. Hidden Mickeys latest edition. There's a book about imagineering that is based on each park. Can't remember the name, and its currently packed, but I'm fairly certain "imagineering" is in the title.

For something a little deeper (not good park reading, lol), I'm re-reading Disney War. Interesting look at Eisner'e reign and influence on the company.

It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I like Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers series. They're YA books but still enjoyable by adults. I actually found the first book on a Disneyland trip back in 2005, at the Compass book store (where Earl of Sandwich is today).

There are 7 books in the series and each one takes place in a different Disney park (including the 4 WDW parks and Disney Cruise Line). I wouldn't recommend reading them out of sequence. The first book takes place in the Magic Kingdom at WDW and the seventh book takes place at Disneyland.

The Imagineering Field Guide to Disneyland and the Imagineering Field Guide to Disney’s California Adventure. Easy reads, can pick up and read for a while or just a quick minute, full of fun facts. Perfect for being in the parks while reading, and the size of the books makes it VERY easy to throw in a backpack or purse.

The novel series "Hidden Mickey" (not the same as the non-fiction book a PP mentioned above) would have you looking at the parks in a different way. Mystery series set in the park.

PHXscuba

Mouse Tales: A Behind the Ears Look at Disneyland by David Koenig have been around for decades. It’s a pretty fun read, not anti-Disneyland, but definitely not the “Disney corporate version” either. Discover the deadest ride at Disneyland! (though it’s not there anymore, the book is somewhat old) This is the book that CM's used to share among themselves through the late '90's and early '00's and often the first book former CM's recommend on Disneyland.

Secret Stories of Disneyland
by Jim Korkis is newer, still un-official, and features a lot more one-on-one interviews with, and annecdotes from, real people who built and worked at Disneyland. Korkis does a lot of interviews with the DIS podcasts.

The authors of both these books have written sequels and other books about Disney parks. So if you like them, there is more to read.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter