Book a hire car or get the bus around resorts/parks?

Azza1987

DIS Veteran
Hello All,

Sorry I suppose your all going to be sick of me soon, asking a million questions! I can only apologise, It's our first visit and I am clueless really!

So we've booked SSR for 7 nights, 1st may - 8th may. I am wondering whether to booked ME, and then use the bus transport system to the parks, boats etc. OR book a hire car through Alamo? I've been quoted about £140 for a compact for the week, and then another £40 for a sat nav?

Is it worth paying the money for a hire car to get us to and from the parks or is the bus system good enough?

We want to do all parks (we have the ultimate tickets booked through Disney) and we will want to get up early and spend as much time in the parks AM - Early lunch and then chill in the afternoons, and maybe head back to the parks in the evenings.

I will be requesting a room in the congress park section, if this helps? But i know its not a guarntee so I really could end up in any section and maybe a 10 minute walk from the bus stop!

Again thank you so much for your help and advice :) xxxx

Personally I would not goto Florida without a car but we do so much away from Disney, coast, Busch gardens, visit friends at Hunters Creek etc.

For your plans, a week at Disney with free DDP I am not so sure you need it. Will you want to go shopping at the malls? Do any dining offsite? go anywhere else?

£140 is probably a bit on the high side. Is it 1st-8th May? This link http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...e/734198-holidayautos-discount-worldwide.html will give you a price of £124.10 less 10% Quidco = £111.69 http://www.quidco.com/holiday-autos/?ac
I would wait for a sale, their last about 2 weeks ago was only for dates upto 3st Mar, it was £25 off so wait for another, if repeated and you could get your car for £89.19
You also have to consider adding Max (tank of gas & extra driver) only about £30 on a weeks rental.

Sat nav is not really required unless you venture further away from the parks, rather than pay £40 to rent watch ebay one sold recently for £55, you would get that back on ebay when you return, costing you next to nothing. Many buy out there, I bought this last year on offer at £35 http://www.walmart.com/ip/TomTom-XL-335SE-4.3-GPS/17474505

For a 1st visit I am not sure you need the car it just makes life easier, we enjoy going to other resorts for lunch, not so easy on the buses. There is no right or wrong way, its down to what you prefer.

I agree with the above. We never go without a car. I much prefer the convenience of being able to come and go as we please.
I also wouldn't bother with a satnav. The roads are easy to navigate with maps and signage is generally really good.
Shop around and I am sure you will find a better quote.

Another vote for not going without a car. The very first trip that we went on we didn't get a car and we hated waiting for the buses and we didn't take breaks back at the resort during the day! You have a lot more freedom to come and go if you have a car, but some people like not having to drive while they're on vacation. On our last trip we only caught the bus once from OKW to DTD and we had to wait 20 mins for a bus there and 15 mins on the way back, but I think that we were unlucky!

I'm a vote for the WDW transportation! :thumbsup2

Out of 5 visits I've only had a car once, the other 4 have been on-site and using the buses, boats and monorail, and Magical Express for the airport transfers.

I like not having to drive or navigate. Even if it does take a little longer to get from A to B, it's all part of the fun.

Yeah I'd like to back up what Catherine said. She is right that you could end up waiting 15-20 mins for a bus some days and it really is up to you if you don't mind that kind of wait. When I was there last year at Congress park although I can't fault the disney transportation as it's free it is just luck of the draw as to how long you are waiting. We took the car to the theme parks so that we could come and go without any waiting, then used the buses on a night when we were going out for a meal so that we could both have a drink and weren't too bothered to be waiting at that point as we were in no rush.

Hmm, what a tough decision!

I think I'll wait and see if there's any changes to the rates and look for discounts (thanks again Wayne!) and then make a choice. If I can get something for under £100 it would seem worth it, even if we only used it during the day to and from the parks, and then used the buses in the evening in case we fancy a cheeky wine or gin!

We are only there for 7 days (we're spending 5 days in new york before we fly down) so I dont want to spend and hour or so a day just waiting for a bus, but then we might get lucky and get one very quickly. I suppose its pot luck. There room in the budget for a hire car, but I dont want to book one if we wont use it! The ME seems to have great reviews for being stress free so maybe its worth just taking advantage of Disney's transport!

From our experience a car will get you to the parks quicker and gives you that extra freedom of shopping at the Malls, etc.

But with only 7-days, your first trip, having the Disney dining plan, park tickets and the option of the Magical Express then renting a car for the 7-days might be a waste of money as it will be siting in car parks for most of the day.

Waiting for a bus and then the stopping to pick up passengers might mean an extra 30 minutes travelling a day but it's stress free if you don't mind the wait.

So have an open mind for the time being and see what others suggest and if you choose the car option then maybe wait until a good offer turns up as there's plenty of time yet.

Also think about using the Magical Express and rent a car for a few days from the Disney Car Center on site, works out a little more expensive per day when booking less than a weeks car rental. And this can be booked before you leave or when you are there as long as you have internet access.

When we were staying in Miami for a week in 2007 we hadn't pre-arranged any car hire and decided to hire a car for a few days so just went on line in the hotel and booked through a UK web site and got a good price and much cheaper that just turning up at the rental office, within 30 minutes of making the booking we were picking the car up at a nearby rental office.

And changing the subject, if you enjoy jogging then while you are there, there's a Expedition Everest Challenge 5K fun run on Sat 4th May starting at 9.30 pm at Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park check it out at http://www.rundisney.com/expedition-everest-challenge/

Enjoy the rest of your planning

We always do both! We get the ME from the airport then get a car the next day from the Disney car centre ( a little alamo van picks you up and takes you ). This saves money plus coming from the UK we are tired from the plane. We then use the Disney transport to the parks where possible but use the car to go eat out at night (olive garden etc ) as its cheaper. Plus we can go to walmart etc and get breakfast things in to have in our room and snacks. We also get water to put in the fridge.

Then we take the car back a day early and get the ME back to the airport. We dont need a car the entire time. If you plan it this works well!

Hope this helps. I believe in using all thats on offer lol.

Although we always have a car, when we have stayed on-site the last few times we have made use of the Disney transport from OKW, usually when going to MK (as the buses drop you off and pick up from outside the main entrance so no hassle of getting back to the car park on the boat or monorail), or for an evening at DTD on the boat.

Whether we were lucky or not I don't know, but when on our way to MK a bus always seemed to turn up within 5 minutes, and returning within 15 minutes.

What I would say if that when booking restaurants, if planning to eat at a resort restaurant, then try and book a hotel near a theme park then you can use the park buses rather than having to take two buses.

For example, look at booking in the MK resort hotels, then you can just use the bus to MK then walk to the Contemporary, or get the launch/resort monorail to the Poly or GF. Alternatively, try the hotels around the Boardwalk area and use the bus to EPCOT and walk through World Showcase to the exit between the UK and France, then a further 10 mins walk. Of course, there are also the restaurants at DTD which shold be easily accessible by bus, boat or walking.

HTH.

we have found a car a complete waste of time and money when staying on resort. Sure you may wait 15 mins for a bus but it does drop you at the gate of each park, where as you could still have a journey from the car parks (they are massive)! Personally, unless you have small kids with you or somebody that will need a seat at peak times, we find the buses, mononrails, boats a great way of getting about. Just hire it for when you def need it ie for the malls, universal, if you don't want to use the Lynx bus (which are great).

so basically you will see from the responses that its totally personal pref..but you can definately DO Disney without a car no probs.:)

Personally for a week, I wouldn't bother.

You've just had time in New York, so I imagine you'll be shopped out!

I'm leaving tomorrow for two weeks and have a hire car for the middle 7 days to go to the malls and take in a Magic game but I won't be using it to get to the parks, I just don't think it's worth the hassle for an extra 5 minutes or so as has been said before, it can take a fair while to get from the car park to the gate......

Hi Guys,

Yeah we plan on doing all our shopping in New York whilst we are there (Well thats my plan for us!). Disney I just want it to be about having fun!

I think I'll book the ME, and then if we decide we need a car for a few days I could book one at the Disney rental on site, I didn't even think of that so thank you Paula for that suggestion.

We will want to see all the parks at Disney , and then I want to take one day out to go to Sea World, but we could probably get the bus or even a taxi there and still not need a car :)

As we are going first week of May, Im hoping it wont be 'as' busy and therefore the bus system should be quite good around Disney. I dont mind a 10-15 minute wait for a bus, and I certainly dont mind standing either!

xxxx

Azza1987 said:
Hi Guys,

Yeah we plan on doing all our shopping in New York whilst we are there (Well thats my plan for us!). Disney I just want it to be about having fun!

I think I'll book the ME, and then if we decide we need a car for a few days I could book one at the Disney rental on site, I didn't even think of that so thank you Paula for that suggestion.

We will want to see all the parks at Disney , and then I want to take one day out to go to Sea World, but we could probably get the bus or even a taxi there and still not need a car :)

As we are going first week of May, Im hoping it wont be 'as' busy and therefore the bus system should be quite good around Disney. I dont mind a 10-15 minute wait for a bus, and I certainly dont mind standing either!

xxxx

How lovely New York then Disney! What a wonderful trip :-) have the best time! Me and DW are going 5th May - 15th May 2013. We usually stay at SSR ( DVC members ) but because we are going in two weeks time ( how can I contain my excitement ) for two weeks we have no more points. So we will be staying at ASmo for a change! Otherwise might have been there at the same time!

I agree with the posts above.
Unless you intend to eat offsite, go shopping, and wander off property often, or have children with strollers, etc, then you'll be fine without a car.

and then another £40 for a sat nav?

Sat nav is a waste of money IMHO.
WDW signage is great, the roads are pretty straightforward to figure out.
Today most people have an android tablet or ipad. You can download free apps, with offline maps that work great without a data plan. Just like a satnav but free :)

Just one thing about getting a car there, if you do decide to do that. Book online rather than going to the desk to get one. Booking in the UK will get you a car under £100 for a full week, at the desk you will get 2 days (possibly 3) they charge 2-3 times the price locally compared to pre-booking.

At £90 I would have the car sat there all week hardly used, I don't mind the odd trip to MK or Epcot, they can be easier than the car but we would also prefer to shop in the outlets instead of New York so its all an individual issue.
We are just a car family, wouldn't dream of getting a taxi or a Lynx bus or even the ME, its not us, others don't mind that type of transport.

Thanks guys!

So I dont think a car would be right for us in Disney by the sounds of it, Im totally happy with buses/ME for the time being, TBH it might be nice not having to drive! I commute to work ever day and get very tired of being stuck in a car!

Now Im thinking about adding a 3 day cruise with Disney on the end of our trip for a nice 'relax' after 7 days of fun. I seriously need to stop going on their website :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter