Boma or Ohana for celebrating our anniv?

Tropigal

Mouseketeer
We will be leaving the kids with MIL and doing a nice dinner to celebrate our
8th wedding anniv. in May when we are at WDW.

Since we are staying off-site we need a restaurant that won't use a park tic.

I've only heard good things about Boma and I love everything about the Poly so Ohana can't go wrong either. Plus we honeymooned in Hawaii!

Any other suggestions? Nothing toooooo fancy or expensive since DH would probably want to wear shorts. Thanks!

I would suggest Kona Cafe at the Poly over 'Ohana for an anniversary. I think your hubby will be fine in a pair of khaki shorts there.

I would recommend California Grill at the CR, Citricos at GF or Jiko at AKL.

Dress codes do allow individuals to wear dress shorts and a polo type shirt. This is exactly what I have wore to all the above restaurants...I am on vacation and do not need to dress up like I am going to work.:)

Here is the policy on Disney' site.

•Dress Code Guidelines:
Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.

Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.

I also suggest going to Kona rather than 'Ohana - it's not so noisy & crowded. After dinner you can go outside and walk around by the beach and watch Wishes. Or you can hop on a boat to the MK and if you want you could transfer to another boat over to Wilderness Lodge. If you are at WL about 9:35 p.m. you can watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

We will be leaving the kids with MIL and doing a nice dinner to celebrate our
8th wedding anniv. in May when we are at WDW.

Since we are staying off-site we need a restaurant that won't use a park tic.

I've only heard good things about Boma and I love everything about the Poly so Ohana can't go wrong either. Plus we honeymooned in Hawaii!

Any other suggestions? Nothing toooooo fancy or expensive since DH would probably want to wear shorts. Thanks!

Did you happen to look at an online menu for California Grill? Sorry, it is expensive:scared1: The cheapest entree is like $28 (and that's for a non-meat dish.)
And though you can technically wear nice shorts there, you will find that a lot of people dress up to eat there, just an FYI. Here's a link to the menu (from Disney's own website) to give you an idea of the kinds of prices you'll be paying there...all the Disney restaurants are expensive, but the Cali is a "signature" restaurant so is above & beyond on the prices. The Wave at the Contemporary is less expensive, less fancy (although still a cool place)

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/me...iforniaGrill/california-grill-menu-dinner.pdf

If you are willing to dress appropriately and handle the extra cost, California Grill is the greatest place on property to celebrate an anniversary. Khaki shorts are technically acceptable, but pants are more common. It's not Victoria & Albert's, but it's a nice restaurant, and he may feel more comfortable dressed up a bit more.

I think you are making the right decision by looking beyond 'Ohana and Boma. They are two of my absolute favorite restaurants in Disney, but neither strike me as particularly romantic or intimate. Kona Cafe or The Wave may be good options that are cheaper than California Grill.

Since your question is between 2 restaurants I won't throw others at you.

We love Ohana. Yes it can be noisy, we have found an early adr is better for the noise. Usually before 6:30pm it is pretty good.
I think the thought of keeping with the "Hawaii" atmosphere for your anniversary is cool.
I haven't eaten at Kona but I assume it would be on the same "level" as Ohana.

Boma, we didn't like it. The food was ok, but nothing special like everyone raived. One thing that stood out was the overwhelming "sweet" taste running thru all the dishes. African cooking uses a lot of cinnamon, this is something we didn't know. It is used in practically everything, including rubbed on the meats! Yes, I can eat pretty much any type of beef, but cinnamon....uh it was too much for me.
If you like sweetness in your entrees and side dishes then Boma will be to your liking. But we couldn't get over the cinnamon taste to enjoy it.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

We didn't like Boma at all ~ there was a lot of curry type things when we were there and neither of us like it. :(

We are celebrating our Anniversary while there in May too (it is actually this saturday but we are usually in Disney for this week and have always celebrated there) we are celebrating at the Yachtsman. Looks good!

We do LOVE Ohana's for dinner ~ but our favorite part is the involvement of the kids in the activities. I would much rather go there with the kids.

For an anniversary dinner I would suggest Jiko or Flying Fish. We ate at both on our honeymoon and loved them although Flying Fish was the better of the two. We had great service and the food was great.

Not a fan of curry so that would turn me off....DH loves it! Thanks for the mention of that Suellen

He can dress up more...not a biggie. I had him look at both menus, Boma and Cali. Grill and he loved California Grill. Price isn't an issue, I just felt bad spending so much for a dinner. But as DH explains it is for our anniv.(8 years) and it will be an experience!

I'm worried we have too late of an ADR...9:25 and Wishes is at 10pm to get a goood table but we can always go outside to watch. I'm sure we can order accordingly and have our waitstaff hold it till we watch the show.

I hope eating at Kona that morning for breakfast gives us enough of the "hawaii" feeling. We are going there with all 3 kids and the mother-in-law too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter