BOG - anyone else hesitant about the menu??

A lot of the hesitance seems to be that the menu LOOKS gourmet. But it's fish, roast chicken, steak, a pork chop and a veggie dish.

Pomme frites are french fries. Au gratin macaroni is macaroni and cheese. Leek fondue is big green onions cooked in butter and pureed.

And Sanaa is a one-credit restaurant that serves food that could belong at a signature (at least I think so). So it's not universal that one-credit restaurants should be written off by the serious foodies. Be Our Guest didn't strike me that way though, except for the appetizers, those were excellent.

JimmyV said:
No. It's a themed restaurant that sprung forth from "Beauty and the Beast", specifically the "Be Our Guest" song that features gourmet food. Do you really think that burgers and food court pasta would complete that theme? I'm sure you can find what you want at Cosmic Ray's. There is no rule that says that every new restaurant, no matter how popular, should cater to the fast food, cafeteria style eating.

We are doing lunch. My teens did not care for the dinner menu

I can't imagine having a family that wouldn't like anything on the BOG dinner menu. They have roasted chicken, a steak and fries if nothing else. Im not saying that my family is better or anything so please dont take it that way. I am just glad i dont have those picky eaters in my group (DH, me and DD who will be 2.5 on our trip). I am looking forward to our ADR in May and hope to get one for Nov too.

Most people should do well here. The food is good, not great but good. It is mostly plain (sauces are optional) with a catchy name and they were very agreeable to substitutions or changes. It is a snap to get a plain steak and French fries or roast chicken, plain salmon, and rolls with butter. I don't think that you can get plainer food than that. The place is so worth a visit :) we loved it!

I think you should consider what you are looking for in a dinner. If you want to eat at places with burgers and fries, then BOG is not going to be for you. I mean, you wouldn't go to the Biergarten if you didn't want German food. This doesn't strike me as much different except for the fact that it's a new restaurant. I don't think there's anything incredibly inventive on the menu; steak, chicken, salmon, pork. If you just want to look inside, then think about the lunch menu, which is more sandwiches. We've eaten there for lunch and thought it was good, though we wouldn't wait in the line again.

isnt it sad that he made up his mind before even stepping foot in the place?

I have always told my kids-- to at least try a food before making a decision based on how it sounds.

when i showed them the menu-- many people poo poo'd about pomme frites ewww. until I showed them its French Fries.. (LOL)

It is sad.

He did the same thing about Boma for dinner. I made him try it. After dinner, he told me he never wanted to go back again. I thought it was very good and would return again but because he has made up his mind about it, he will not return.

There are so many restaurants I would like to try at Disney but since DH isn't interested we do not go to them.

It isn't fancy. I guess it might SOUND fancy to some people for some strange reason, but it's really not. I loved the steak I had there, but honestly it was just really good steak and French fries.

BOG is great! The menu is misleading, at least for lunch. We had a turkey sandwich and fries on the first visit. We had a steak sandwich with Green beans on the second visit. We had the onion soup (yuck) and the potato soup (yummy) too. The serve yourself beverage station is a major plus. It is quite a wait for lunch though.

BOG was amazing - I highly recommend it! We went for lunch and had the turkey sandwich/fries and the french onion soup. Although it wasn't too fancy, they serve it on real plates and a great overall appearance/taste. My husband and I were glad that we split everything, too - we agreed we would've been way too full with our own meals.

Even if the menu itself isn't too appealing to you, the experience is worth it - the ballroom where you sit is beautifully done and the servers bring your food out to you on a cart. BOG is considered quick service (at least for lunch), but they really do a great job in making it a bit more special. :)

Thank you all for the responses. I love Beauty & The Beast and wanted to check it out for that reason, but didn't want to dislike my meal or waste a TS credit ordering just a soup and salad or something. I feel better!

No. It's a themed restaurant that sprung forth from "Beauty and the Beast", specifically the "Be Our Guest" song that features gourmet food. Do you really think that burgers and food court pasta would complete that theme? I'm sure you can find what you want at Cosmic Ray's. There is no rule that says that every new restaurant, no matter how popular, should cater to the fast food, cafeteria style eating.

I'm thinking you need to re-read my first post before posting a response. I did not once in my OP suggest that they should have burgers and "food court pasta", nor did I suggest every restaurant should cater to fast food. And why should I have to go to Cosmic Rays? All I said is thats what we like and if thats how we eat, what could we get at BOG that we might like there too. Please don't accuse others of things that aren't true.

We are also considering BOG for lunch - it will depend on what the line up is like that day.

I read some food blogs and disney blogs to get a sense of the menu and imo this is not gourmet food at all. But refreshing compared to being stuck with burgers and chicken nuggets if on a QS plan like we were 4 years ago. We are not getting the DP this time around as really it works cheaper for us to not get it and more flexibility in that kids don't have to order from the kid menu etc.

What attracts me to BOG is the fact that it has food closer to what we eat at home. I was sure i read about quinoa salad, which i eat almost everyday at home (quinoa in some form whether in place of rice, on my salad or as hot cereal). Has anyone had it? When looking at the menu it seemed though like they simply had fancy French names for things that are not gourmet LOL (like croque monsieur ). i was impressed that they used ground turkey for the kids meatloaf....my kids will totally eat that.

A lot of the hesitance seems to be that the menu LOOKS gourmet. But it's fish, roast chicken, steak, a pork chop and a veggie dish.

Pomme frites are french fries. Au gratin macaroni is macaroni and cheese. Leek fondue is big green onions cooked in butter and pureed.

EXACTLY!! :lol: this was my observation especially when i looked at the pictures. nothing too fancy about it, more standard food you would eat at home as opposed to fast food. so it's a nice change, but definitely not gourmet. not sure i want to eat french onion soup on a hot day though ;)

This place is NOT gourmet. But some words are in French which makes some people think it's going to be food that is "strange." It's not.

To the original poster - you'll be fine. The roast chicken and potatoes is good and plain. The pork chop is very good! It's worth getting just for the mac and cheese! Yum. And, while we didn't have the steak, it looked great. And, the person who posted right after your note either didn't grasp your question or was just feeling snarky. We are adventuresome diners and prefer great food, but we don't judge others' tastes and can appreciate a really good burger just as much as braised short ribs. This food isn't great but it's good and simple, and the setting is fun. Go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter