Boardwalk VS Wilderness Lodge

BobbiP

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney December 29, 2019 - January 4, 2020. We have always stayed at GF and always go during summer. I like being on the monorail loop and love the beauty of GF. We recently had a bad experience at GF and want to try something new. We will have my husband and myself, 2 kids in their early twenty's and 2 teen boys. I have heard that WL is beautiful around the holidays and I like that it is close to MK. But, I think the kids may have more to do at Boardwalk. We like to eat at signature restaurants several times during our vacation. Also, our teenage son loves to play basketball when we stay at GF, he is upset that neither of these properties list it as a recreational option. Any advice on which of these properties would fit our family best?

Many people love wilderness lodge, but to me, it is like very expensive camping. The standard rooms are not impressive. It is a nice hotel but just not my style. I would definitely pick the boardwalk over WL.
Have you checked out the beach club? To me, the beach club has a similar feel to the GF with all the whites/light colors.
Taste is such a personal thing so take my opinion with a grain of salt. We stayed at the poly last year and I wasn’t impressed with that hotel either. It was just to darkly decorated.
I can’t help on the basketball issue.

I love both these resorts. Boardwalk is my DVC home resort, but to be honest I've stayed at Wilderness more over the past few years. There is one big thing to make your decision - Which parks are you going to spend more time at? If its Magic Kingdom - stay at Wilderness Lodge. You'll have the boats to MK, and its a wonderfull resort. If you are going to spend more time at Epcot and HS, then stay at boardwalk - it has walking access or boats to both. As for the basketball court, sorry, I can't help there without doing some googling.....

We used to stay exclusively at WL. I couldn’t get DH to try anywhere else. It is a beautiful resort. I finally got him to try YC. We have also stayed at BWI. WE love being so close to EPCOT. We like that you can walk to 2 parks. Since we have AP’s, we will even walk thru EPCOT and take the monorail to MK. We like the eating options that are available in the EPCOT area. We also didn’t like that at WL, whenever we took a bus, it was shared with another resort.

Last edited:
We've stayed at both. Boardwalk is best for walking to Epcot and DHS. There really is not much of anything to do for kids to do on the actual Boardwalk. The Christmas decorations at WL are awesome and we like the boat ride to MK. But given both, it's Boardwalk for the park access.

Hello BobbiP, the holiday season at WL is truly a special time of the year. The giant Christmas tree fills the main lodge space, the garland is strung and the warm comforting feeling the lodge gives just gets better. If it should be a slightly cooler night the fireplace is an excellent area to unwind after a long day. For entertainment, there are two large, running and biking trails (rentals available) between WL and FW, and watercraft rentals. Unfortunately, there is no basketball courts at WL, there is however there is a basketball game in the arcade. ;) The boardwalk is nice but feels a little more spread out, no matter the time of year. Trees and decorations but more of the airy and clean holiday feel. There are two pools on opposite ends of the property, tennis courts, and a "croquet green". The boardwalk will give you the opportunity to wander around, split easy access to two parks, etc. In my opinion, the lodge is the best for the holidays for the experience. If a basketball court is a must, have you looked at Old Key West? Its a laid back atmosphere, Large pool, shuffleboard, tennis court, basketball court. You will need to drive or take bus transportation to parks and watercraft will take you to Disney springs but it's my family favorite, home base, and stress-free setting.

Last edited:
Boardwalk has the benefit of being so close to both Epcot and HS, and the Epcot resorts all have unique holiday decor. Personally I love WL since it truly feels like you are not in Florida, and the lobby is incredible. Plus the dining options at WL are great as well. Last time I was there, I believe I did also see a half court for basketball at the end of the boulder ridge villas, but I am not quite sure if its only for DVC guests or for the entire resort. I think WL would be best if you prioritize your time at MK, plus you are not far from the signature restaurants on the monorail loop. I have never had an issue with the busses from WL either.

BWV lots to do and lots of places to eat. Ant access to the Gondolas

Between those two, I would choose Boardwalk for all of the reasons stated above. The Four Seasons has basketball (and tennis and rock climbing and volleyball and an amazing pool complex), is on Disney property, comes with bus transportation to all the parks and 60 day FPs and is often comparable in price to WL and BWI. Just something to consider. We love the boardwalk area as well and usually do a split stay there (Beach Club/Yacht Club for us) with the Four Seasons.

I would mix it up and try a completely different experience. I would stay at the BW personally. But then again, I am kind of of biased against WL. I live in Oregon I don't want to travel that far to stay somewhere themed after the Pacific NorthWest.

Reactions: CJN
I didn't know that any of the resorts offer basketball- that's good to know. What was your bad experience at GF, if you don't mind me asking? The reason I ask is that if your son is really upset about the basketball, that alone might be reason enough to give them one more chance. Any resort can mess something up, but I don't know how egregious the GF issue was.

We've enjoyed both WL and BW, but BW is our favorite for theming. It is more of a summer theme than a Christmas theme, though (although I hear they do have a nice gingerbread display). For a Christmas week trip, I'd probably stay at WL for the Christmas theming and easier MK access, maybe staying Club Level to best enjoy it. But BW does have much prettier rooms.

Last edited:
Wilderness Lodge all the way! It's so cozy, especially at Xmas time! You can walk over to Fort Wilderness for sports. And the boat rides are better than Monorails LOL!

Wilderness Lodge all the way! It's so cozy, especially at Xmas time! You can walk over to Fort Wilderness for sports. And the boat rides are better than Monorails LOL!
Is there now an accessible path between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness? When we stayed there that wasn't the case.

No the walking path is closed due construction of the new resort Reflections, a mixed hotel / DVC facility due in 2022. It replaces the area of the old River County water park.

Dave

I haven't been since they began the new construction between the two resorts. There should (could) be the exercise path for walking, I guess the path is closed, but the internal busses should still run back and forth!

Also, I just looked at Google Maps, there's clearly a half-court at the end of the BR building, across from the new cabins! Maybe they didn't update the website, or maybe it's CM only? Couldn't hurt to call and check!

I haven't been since they began the new construction between the two resorts. There should (could) be the exercise path for walking, I guess the path is closed, but the internal busses should still run back and forth!

Also, I just looked at Google Maps, there's clearly a half-court at the end of the BR building, across from the new cabins! Maybe they didn't update the website, or maybe it's CM only? Couldn't hurt to call and check!

It is listed as part of the recreation offerings for Copper Creek, so it looks like WL does have basketball: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/resorts/copper-creek-villas-and-cabins/recreation/

Cypress Courts
Recruit friends and family to join you for a tennis match or pick-up game of basketball at this recently added facility.

WL is gorgeous at Christmas and there is a small basketball court at WL. That being said, you are going at a very busy time of the year and you will have so much within walking distance from BWI - two parks and tons of restaurants. I think it’s a much better area for the ages of your kids. There are two basketball hoops over at Swan/Dolphin and the one near the Grotto pool has kids playing there all the time. My DS11 is a b-ball player and played hours and hours of pick-up games there in March. It was so fun for him as the courts at GF and WL tend to be deserted in our experience.

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time last December. The lobby and grounds are truly gorgeous, especially that time of year, and we really loved Geyser Point. That said - I was quite disappointed in our room. We had a "Nature View" which happened to have a view of Cinderella Castle and the fireworks and that was a wonderful surprise! But beyond that, the room itself was very dated and dark. I probably won't stay in the standard rooms again until they're renovated. But even if you don't stay there, it's worth visiting because the resort itself is beautiful. We haven't stayed at the Boardwalk but we go to the lounges and restaurants frequently because we're frequent Yacht Club guests. We LOVE that area. You have easy access to Epcot, 3 different resorts, and Hollywood Studios. Tons for your kids to explore. Tons of food options - both quick service and table service. That would get my vote!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter