boarding day lunch

WDW Enabler

Founding Father of the HARDHAT BRIGADE
We leave on the Fantasy on Sat. This will be the first on the new ship. We can't decide where to eat on boarding day. Looking on the boards I am not sure that DH and DD will like anything at EC. On our past cruises we ate at parrot cay. Any suggestions.

We ate at Topsider's our first cruise for embarkation lunch. We then went to PC for the next 7. We went straight to EG on the Fantasy last year but DD didn't see anything on the buffet that she liked...and she's not my picky eater. We left and went up to Cabana's. There was a lot more at Cabana's that she liked. DH told me that they didn't really have anything kid friendly, and that doesn't mean kid menu items.

On embarkation day we ate at EG, they had some nice offerings... Bacon wrapped salmon, garlic mashed potatoes, Mac n cheese, steamed veggies... A little of everything

We weren't crazy about EG's atmosphere though, we ended up booking Palo for our EG night.

Either way, there's usually something for everyone. Have fun!! :)

Agree with the PP that mentioned the choices are essentially the same in either location. We prefer to go to the MDR because we don't like having to wander around looking for a table while wrangling our carryon bags. You also get your beverages brought to you in the MDR.

It's possible that they have listened to guest feedback and changed the offerings in EG that day. We were on the MV and had a much different experience.

Since it was my first time on the Fantasy, we went to Cabanas, I wanted to experience EG for dinner. We traded off getting food and one of us stayed at the table with the luggage.

We ate in EG for lunch and my non-picky kid only ate steamed shrimp and some sautéed veggies for lunch. Everything else was a little too fancy looking for him...or looked like salad! Not sure what Cabanas has but will probably try that this time...surely they have something more kid friendly, right?

I did enjoy the dessert offerings there and the nice guy who brought our drinks!

So is there no 'kids section' at EG? On the Magic in Parrot Cay I remember there being a little separate area with a few selections like mac and cheese, chicken fingers, spaghetti, and typical kid fare. THANKS!!

So is there no 'kids section' at EG? On the Magic in Parrot Cay I remember there being a little separate area with a few selections like mac and cheese, chicken fingers, spaghetti, and typical kid fare. THANKS!!

No there wasn't.

Is there anywhere that's not a buffet? I'm legally blind & require assistance but my wife can't help me, get her food & juggle the suitcases all at the same time. Any suggestions?

Is there anywhere that's not a buffet? I'm legally blind & require assistance but my wife can't help me, get her food & juggle the suitcases all at the same time. Any suggestions?

There are plenty of CMs around. I'm sure one will be more than happy to assist you.

Cabanas has a ridiculous variety of options available on that first day's lunch, including adult and kid options. We have hit Cabanas both times (Dream and Fantasy) and been very happy. Yes, everyone seems to have a carry-on bag, but we had a party of nine and did not feel like we had much trouble with finding tables, putting bags to the side, getting food, etc.

Cabanas is a bit more casual than EG (or any of the MDRs), so you don't feel quite as conspicuous coming and going if someone in your party wants to head out into the ship to confirm (or adjust or book) some port adventure, spa and Palo/Remy reservations. If I'm in one of the MDRs, I'm less likely to want to wander in and out....but if you're needing to do any of these things, it's best to do them immediately upon boarding. We had four adults and five kids, so the two ladies left to handle these things and were back with the rest of us within 15 minutes or so.

Yes, just ask a cast member. Maybe your DW could go first and scope it out and find some things that would suit your tastes. A CM would be happy to help you thru the lines. They are so helpful.

We were on the Fantasy last week and did lunch at EG on embarkation day. While it is true there is no kids food section in the buffet, the servers will bring you chicken nuggets, Mac & cheese, etc if you like. When we sat down they said if there was nothing on the buffet the kids wanted they were happy to bring something else. They brought the kid food directly to the table.

On the classic ships we ALWAYS eat embarkation lunch in PC so when we first boarded the Dream we naturally went to EG....did not like it. Next Dream cruise we went up to Cabanas for embarkation lunch and loved it.

EG is not my favorite dining room on the new ships and just did not like the vibe for embarkation lunch.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter