Blue Lagoon or Atlantis dolphin encounter?

bfc2406

Earning My Ears
As first time visitors to Nassau we are after some advice please about Port Adventures. We had decided initially that we would stay on board the Dream, as we are travelling with a 51/2 month old DS and 6 year old DD and thought that would be best. The thing is, that as the cruise draws closer we can't help but feel we should be experiencing some of Nassau. I personally have always wanted to see inside Atlantis and I know I may be disappointed reading some reviews. Then I read about the Blue Lagoon, with pretty good reviews.
We would love for our daughter to experience the dolphin encounter. Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter or Atlantis dolphin encounter with discover Atlantis? Bearing in mind we have the baby and I would be taking him to watch if possible, what are the best options?
Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

Blue Lagoon!! There is a great area for observers. My mom & DH observed as my dad, DS 7 & I swam with the dolphins. The picture is still on our mantle. Hands down the best vacation memory my DS has and he is 13 now. Still talks about it!!!!

We did Blue Lagoon and it was great. Daughter did the swim and I just watched. They let me stand on the deck (above the swim platforms), take pictures, talk to the trainers, etc.

For a 6 year old, you might just want to do the encounter and not the swim. There was one younger girl, 6 or 7, in my daughter's group, and she was a little nervous. She had both parents with her, and when it came time for the swim, she climbed on her father's back and the dolphins pushed her father, not her. The group was in deep water for about an hour (with life jackets), so a lot of treading water. The encounter group stands on a swim deck and the dolphins swim up to them. Lots of touching, hugging, kissing, etc.

Nancy

We did a day of shopping and regretted not going on an excursion :(so next time we are doing the water park day at Atlantis

Bear3412 said:

I will check them out thank you.

Thanks also for the earlier posts. Hearing your experiences is very helpful! Can I ask, did you do the BL excursion from the ship? Or did you do it independently? How do you feel The experience would be with a baby? Is there plenty of shade etc? Are the facilities good at the BL for non swimmers? ( and someone with baby in tow!)
Thanks in advance.

I will check them out thank you.

Thanks also for the earlier posts. Hearing your experiences is very helpful! Can I ask, did you do the BL excursion from the ship? Or did you do it independently? How do you feel The experience would be with a baby? Is there plenty of shade etc? Are the facilities good at the BL for non swimmers? ( and someone with baby in tow!)
Thanks in advance.

The dolphin area at BL is along a boardwalk type sidewalk and you are assigned to a pool or a deck. There were 3-4 in our area, but I think there were a few others too. those participating get in the water (swim) or go on to a lower platform for the encounter. Those only observing can stay on the boardwalk part (not covered) or on the covered deck. This all takes about an hour, so you can guess if your baby would be happy in a carrier during this time.

I would not do the swim with a poor swimmer. It is about 1 hour of treading water, and a little cold. The encounter is shorter, and you are only in the water for your time.

BL has a nice beach area you can then use. Very calm, good for kids.

Nancy

neg58 said:
The dolphin area at BL is along a boardwalk type sidewalk and you are assigned to a pool or a deck. There were 3-4 in our area, but I think there were a few others too. those participating get in the water (swim) or go on to a lower platform for the encounter. Those only observing can stay on the boardwalk part (not covered) or on the covered deck. This all takes about an hour, so you can guess if your baby would be happy in a carrier during this time.

I would not do the swim with a poor swimmer. It is about 1 hour of treading water, and a little cold. The encounter is shorter, and you are only in the water for your time.

BL has a nice beach area you can then use. Very calm, good for kids.

Nancy

Thanks so much Nancy.

We went to Blue Lagoon and it was great. I did the dolphin encounter with my 3 oldest kids and DH was an observer with our 1 year old. DH and our 1 year old stood under a covered area and took pictures and video of our encounter. Then we spent the rest of the day on the beach and in the water. The lagoon is great for young kids. Also, you don't have to deal with taxis or carseats since you just take a short walk from the cruise ship to the Blue Lagoon boat.

Nancy-thank you SO much for the info about the length of time in the water. I was going to take my girls(6 and 7) for the swim, but they get FREEZING even in water here in S. CA in the SUMMER. So, we're doing the encounter instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter