Blue Card for Parking

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m not a DVC member. Is the blue card for all DVC members? Is there any visible difference between someone who bought resale vs someone who bought directly from Disney?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I’m not a DVC member. Is the blue card for all DVC members? Is there any visible difference between someone who bought resale vs someone who bought directly from Disney?

Resale gets a white card. Direct gets a blue card.

So as an update, we went to the front desk (for an unrelated reason) and we’re surprised with several “valet parking” charges. After once again explaining that we are staying on points and are DVC members they wiped off the charges but nonetheless the damage has been done. Super annoyed at the entire experience and I will make sure to double check all my Disney room charges in the future.

Yes, the blue card is for DVC members. From what I understand, you can only be a DVC member if you purchased your time share directly from Disney. If you purchased your time share via resale or are renting points then you are not eligible for the DVC member perks (i.e. free parking, member events, discount's, etc).

I'm sure there will be some that say it shouldn't matter since I am staying on points, etc. But, people have to remember/know that if you purchased directly with Disney, then you paid FULL price for the points that were purchased. From what I've seen, you pay a lot less when purchasing a Disney time share via resale or renting points for a vacation. So for me I can see the logic on why you have to verify being a DVC member. Without opening up a spreadsheet, I'm pretty sure that since DVC members paid full price for their points we're definitely over "paying" for overnight parking :-)

Yes, the blue card is for DVC members. From what I understand, you can only be a DVC member if you purchased your time share directly from Disney. If you purchased your time share via resale or are renting points then you are not eligible for the DVC member perks (i.e. free parking, member events, discount's, etc).

I'm sure there will be some that say it shouldn't matter since I am staying on points, etc. But, people have to remember/know that if you purchased directly with Disney, then you paid FULL price for the points that were purchased. From what I've seen, you pay a lot less when purchasing a Disney time share via resale or renting points for a vacation. So for me I can see the logic on why you have to verify being a DVC member. Without opening up a spreadsheet, I'm pretty sure that since DVC members paid full price for their points we're definitely over "paying" for overnight parking :-)

Resale gets “free” parking, we pay to maintain the parking lots in our yearly dues.

That logic holds no water as Disney profited from each and every point it has sold and is available for resale purchase. Just because a “DVC member” sold his interest, doesn’t eliminate Disney’s original profit. Also, resale owners pay Disney a yearly maintenance fee for their interest. This divide between “DVC Members” and “resale owners” is ridiculous. I’d like to see what would happen to the membership fees if all the resale owners decided to let their interest be foreclosed on...instead of hyping up the divide DVC owners should appreciate that we are all part of the DVC family....whether you bought direct or resale!

As I said in a different thread already, I will say the same thing in this thread. First I read about free parking only for blue card members only in this thread, and than I read about laundry tokens for blue card member only in another thread. This is crazy to me.

As an Aulani owner (without blue card), this does not sit right, as I believe I am paying MF dues that covers maintaining the parking lot, and probably the common laundry room and the machines themselves. Obviously I haven't examine the records, nor do I know if they keep records down to that level of details, but this seem like an over-zealous CM misunderstanding the rules. You can't tell me that non-Aulani direct owners at other WDW resorts get free parking and free laundry tokens, while an actual Aulani owner has to pay for those "perks" while paying their Aulani MF dues. Somehow I find it hard to believe that no part of MF dues is covering a portion of these common areas.

It will be interesting to see if there are any other reports like this. I understand charging anybody booking directly with Disney CRO, but it doesn't make sense for reservations on DVC points, especially when points are from Aulani home resort itself.

Great3

I just wanted to clear up some confusion that seems to be happening on this thread.

Starting from June of 2019 there were changes to how DVC Member perks are "obtained". Members were complaining that they didn't feel they had special perks if everyone was getting the same perks. (take that for what it is, I don't know how true that statement is). I also believe this was a global change for DVC properties?

So for discounts throughout the property a DVC membership card is required to 'prove' membership. The pools ask for the cards (at least for the first day) because the 'shiny' wrist bands are a DVC Member exclusive. You don't get anything extra, but it's an easy way to 'show off' your membership. (important for some, not for others)

The complimentary self parking used to be ONLY for rooms that were booked via DVC points. Since the changes in June members staying at the resort (whether on points or not) are entitled to the complimentary self parking as well as all rooms book via points (whether the member is present or not). It sounds like the original poster was given some misinformation, if their room was booked on points they didn't need their card for the parking charges. They may have been charged by valet because their vehicle was with valet for a prolonged time, more that an hour or two and valet just charged them (not the front desk). It sounds like the mistake was eventually corrected, but as stated the "damage was done".

I hope this helps to clear up some of the confusion.... :D

We checked in Friday after booking with DVC rental Store. No problem getting free self parking after saying we are staying on points, but they did deny us the free laundry tokens twice since we are not members. Just a heads up to other people renting points.

We checked in Friday after booking with DVC rental Store. No problem getting free self parking after saying we are staying on points, but they did deny us the free laundry tokens twice since we are not members. Just a heads up to other people renting points.

I find it interesting that you got the free parking staying on DVC points, but not the laundry tokens. If you rent Aulani points, it doesn't make sense here, why they would deny you the laundry tokens. Did they ask to see your blue membership card? Was the reservation made greater than 7+ months out and for sure using Aulani points, versus within the 7 months windows where points may be from a different resort an not Aulani? Just curious as if there is a certain pattern or if it's just blue card membership required for laundry tokens no matter what.

Great3

I’m not sure the reasoning. It seems like the parking is based on how the room was rented vs. the other perks based on if you are personally a member. The first time requesting laundry tokens, they asked for the card and then denied me. The second time we went to set a pin on the room card so they had pulled up the reservation and were told since we were “non members” they had to be purchased. They also asked for the blue card for pool bracelets. We made reservations 11 months out.

I’m not sure the reasoning. It seems like the parking is based on how the room was rented vs. the other perks based on if you are personally a member. The first time requesting laundry tokens, they asked for the card and then denied me. The second time we went to set a pin on the room card so they had pulled up the reservation and were told since we were “non members” they had to be purchased. They also asked for the blue card for pool bracelets. We made reservations 11 months out.

Okay, thanks for sharing what happened. Like you said, it's a good FYI to be aware of for those renting Aulani points.

Great3

When we showed our Blue card to get the pool wristbands, we were also told that then we didn't have to have our card with us to get discounts at the store or restaurants. The daily DVC sparkly wrist band verified that we were DVC members.

I find it interesting that you got the free parking staying on DVC points, but not the laundry tokens. If you rent Aulani points, it doesn't make sense here, why they would deny you the laundry tokens. Did they ask to see your blue membership card? Was the reservation made greater than 7+ months out and for sure using Aulani points, versus within the 7 months windows where points may be from a different resort an not Aulani? Just curious as if there is a certain pattern or if it's just blue card membership required for laundry tokens no matter what.

Great3
When we showed our Blue card to get the pool wristbands, we were also told that then we didn't have to have our card with us to get discounts at the store or restaurants. The daily DVC sparkly wrist band verified that we were DVC members.

Its been 3 years since we have been there, but at the time we stayed on rented DVC points. We received free parking, free laundry tokens, and DVC pool wristbands, but we could not take advantage of any discounts without presenting a membership card. It was my understanding at the time that the parking system recognizes "points" vs "cash" in the system which is how it automatically knows whether parking should be charged or not. DVC member vs non member wasn't recognizable as far parking charges. I assume the same was true when they gave out the laundry tokens and the pool wristband - the CM simply looked up my reservation, must have seen "points", and then proceeded accordingly.

I just wanted to add that the DVC pool bands (from my knowledge) are NOT to be accepted as confirmation of DVC membership at shops and restaurants. Reason is the discounts are for members, not people staying on points, or friends of members staying in the room, exclusively for DVC Members. So just take Iggi's experience as 'not the norm' and expect to need your Member ID for discounts.

:D

I just wanted to add that the DVC pool bands (from my knowledge) are NOT to be accepted as confirmation of DVC membership at shops and restaurants. Reason is the discounts are for members, not people staying on points, or friends of members staying in the room, exclusively for DVC Members. So just take Iggi's experience as 'not the norm' and expect to need your Member ID for discounts.

:D

Agreed. We've always had to show our card, and sometimes photo ID (usually just in the shop) for any on-property member discount.

We were there 2 weeks ago. We rented points. We were not challenged about the parking fee. We were told by the rental point middle man that parking would be free.

HOWEVER!!!! The OP was not misinformed. As of June- if you do not have a blue membership card- you are supposed to pay for parking. The Aulani DVC rep initially told us about this change. It’s one of their selling features to buy direct.‘If’ you solely buy resale now, you do not get the blue card or parking privileges.
I asked another DVC rep once we returned and he agreed the Aulani rep was correct. He did say that the chance of it ever being an issue are low because very few resorts are going to take the time to request the blue card because they are trying to move that check-in line. Our check-in line at Aulani was wretched!! Stood in line for 35 minutes with only 3 guests in front of me...
The whole ‘deeded’ issue seems to fall flat- Disney must have written something into the deeds of resales starting June...

We were there 2 weeks ago. We rented points. We were not challenged about the parking fee. We were told by the rental point middle man that parking would be free.

HOWEVER!!!! The OP was not misinformed. As of June- if you do not have a blue membership card- you are supposed to pay for parking. The Aulani DVC rep initially told us about this change. It’s one of their selling features to buy direct.‘If’ you solely buy resale now, you do not get the blue card or parking privileges.
I asked another DVC rep once we returned and he agreed the Aulani rep was correct. He did say that the chance of it ever being an issue are low because very few resorts are going to take the time to request the blue card because they are trying to move that check-in line. Our check-in line at Aulani was wretched!! Stood in line for 35 minutes with only 3 guests in front of me...
The whole ‘deeded’ issue seems to fall flat- Disney must have written something into the deeds of resales starting June...
Wow didn’t know that I was there in March didn’t know about the new change

Sorry, but the DVC reps gave wrong information.
The current direction we (Front Desk) are given is ANY room booked with DVC points, no matter who is in the room or not, will get comp self parking. ONLY if you are staying on a cash reservation (non-points) would you need the blue card for comp self parking. You are correct that these changes (confirming DVC ID, comp parking for cash res) started in June though.
If what the DVC reps told you was true, an extra 30 seconds to check for a blue card would be worth the parking fees. Disney wouldn't just pass up $37 per night because they want the lines to move faster...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!