Blue bayou/balcony buffet

disneyfreak75

Mouseketeer
I've seen a few posts saying that this restaurant isn't great. I think it is really cool to eat where the POTC boats float buy. Always thought it would be cool to eat there. Hear it is expensive and if you try to book for desert only they don't really like you much... is this true???

Is it worth it? We're on a strict budget because this trip is going to cost us WAY more than previously planned (something didn't pan out). i really want to do the balcony buffet though....

If it is worth it, can you please remind me how long ahead you have to book and the phone number? Any toll free numbers???

What about the number for the balcony fireworks buffet???

If you're talking about the Fantasmic! dessert buffet, you can book that 30 days out. But be aware that after Labor Day Disneyland goes into "off-season" mode, where Fantasmic! is typically shown only on weekends (sometimes Friday and Saturday, sometimes Friday-Sunday).

Call 714-781-4400 at 8:00 a.m. PST 30 days in advance...you may get balcony seating, or you may get seating down closer to the river - they are both the same price.

I haven't tried the Blue Bayou since they re-opened in June with the new menu (and even higher prices!), but I was always underwhelmed before...if you HAVE to eat there I always recommend lunch instead of dinner - the prices are a little lower. And it's always nighttime at the bayou inside. :-) You can make priority seating arrangements 60 days in advance by calling 714-781-DINE.

Laura

I have always had good experiences at Blue Bayou. To me its about the overall experience and not just the food. I agree, lunch is better and cheaper. As for the Fantasmic Buffet, its a lot of fun and it feels very special to be up there enjoying a wonderful view of an incredible show. The desserts are good, but again, its about the experience not the food. If you are on a tight budget, I would have a hard time justifying this expense (its about $50 a person), since you can see this show for free yourself as part of your park admission. A good rule of thumb for getting a good spot for Fantasmic is to go to the second show. Its generally less crowded. I have done the buffet twice and loved it but left realizing we had shelled out a great deal of money for a show we could have seen for free, albeit not in as prime a location! If you can see it and not give up other things you want to do (character meals, Blue Bayou, souveneirs etc) than go for it. Otherwise, I would just see it with the crowds. Its not impossible or even that difficult to get a good spot. You could post a thread asking people for their favorite ways to see the show and how far in advance they stake out their spots.

I love the Blue Bayou. I've been there for Lunch both before & after they changed the menu. I like the Monte Cristo. It did go up $4, but now you get salad or soup plus 2 sides, so I think it is worth it. The sandwich is very filling, so this time DH and I paid the $4 plate-splitting fee and we shared the sandwich. We only got one salad, but they did split the 2 sides on our plates for us. I thought splitting was perfect because it was a lot cheaper than ordering 2 entrees and we didn't waste any food (last time I could only eat about half of my sandwich). Anyway, we were satisfied with the amount that we ate, and we even had room for dessert (yummy key lime pie). If you can splurge for the Blue Bayou, it is worth it in my opinion. Also, ask for a water view table, you usually have to wait longer, but it was worth it.

We weren't impressed. We spent $80 for a family of 3 & nothing was that great, albeit we can be food snobs & DL just is not up to par on the dining but it just wasn't worth it. I'd rather spend my money on a cool souvenir!

I don't know as many b/c I just started these boards & it looks like there's some great facts being given.....but if it's possible I'd try & get in for lunch. That way you get the atmosphere - for cheaper. And a reservaton of course is a must.

We did the Fantasmic Buffet and we loved it. We are a family of 5 so it was a bit pricey. I think it was worth it. We felt so special :goodvibes sitting on the balcony eating our desserts. There was something for everyone. We also ate at the Blue Bayou, I would have been happier with just ordering an appetizer and a dessert. I really didn't care for the Monte Cristo, but the desserts were fab!

I highly recommend it! Now, it's all about the ambiance. The view is just awesome. I went before they remodeled it and it the food was great. Now, if you can't justify the expense then don't-it's very expensive but it's an experience you won't forget!

I ate there 2 weeks ago, my honey and I went for a nice dinner....

The food was nice, the ambiance (sp) was good... the price though is about $30-$40 PP w/o drinks ...

If you are on a tight budget, I would not recommend it, however If you are going to Disney for the first time, and you are trying to see some of the better stuff there, then I would do it.

I would go back, but it would have to be more then an everyday event (perhaps a b-day, or anniv)

Is there a copy of the new menu for the Blue Bayou somewhere? I was thinking of making reservations next week for Oct. I seem to remember the menus for the Disney restaurants on a website. :confused3

Okay, here's where I'm confused. Everybody says to go to lunch because it's cheaper. However, when I look at the menus, the prices for lunch and dinner seem to be the same, except for the appetizers, which are cheaper at dinner :confused3 Are the menus incorrect?

kennancat said:
Okay, here's where I'm confused. Everybody says to go to lunch because it's cheaper. However, when I look at the menus, the prices for lunch and dinner seem to be the same, except for the appetizers, which are cheaper at dinner :confused3 Are the menus incorrect?
You're right! I guess I'm living in the past - with the old menu Lunch *was* significantly cheaper than Dinner. Now the only real difference seems to be that you can get the Monte Cristo sandwich (which is the cheapest entree on the menu) only for lunch. But you can also get the Monte Cristo sandwich (and a vegetarian variation of it, too!) at Cafe Orleans, where it's
$4.00 cheaper.

Laura

I love the Blue Bayou. It is a must every time we go. Since buying a house we have been on a strict budget too. So we ususally share a Mardi Gras salad and a Monte Cristo. A whole monte cristo to me is to much grease and so I get sick later. If you get a salad it absorbs some of the grease. And then they are fine with you having just water. They really do frown on dessert only and have found that they put you towards the back when you do this. I would say our bill including tip is never over 20.00 for two of us and we have had our atmosphere and our great food and we are good to go.

We did both the Fantasmic Balcony Buffet and Blue Bayou(lunch) in late July!! If you are on a very tight budget, I think that I would do Blue Bayou instead!! While I loved the Fantasmic Balcony, we decided to splurge for our 1st trip to DL. Would I do it again? NO...would I eat at Blue Bayou again? YES!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter