• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BLT & Split Stay -- Which hotel?

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
We have secured a reservation for next January for the first 3 nights of our trip in a 2 BR. We are still waiting on availability for the remaining four nights, which looks promising, and is the later part of our trip. Just looking for suggestions as to where to do a split stay in the event we do not get our remaining nights at BLT?

Our biggest concern is going from something really nice to going to something that would be a downgrade. My DH really likes VWL so that is an option, but we also wondered if it made more sense to try a completely different area, since VWL is so close to BLT? Our preference is not to do a split stay, but want to be prepared in the event we have to. I also want to be realistic in that if BLT is booked, probably other MK resorts will be as well.

Also, has anyone ever done a combined DVC stay with a Disney stay? Is that something we could consider (two connecting rooms) if the villas are not an option? We can always cancel a Disney reservation if we are able to book BLT. The nights are Jan. 9-12. Our last night is over the MLK holiday, which is the only night I'm worried about.

We usually split BLT with either BCV or BWV. That way we concentrate on MK (walking) when at BLT, and then EPCOT/DHS at the other.

The split is easy for us. Check out and send the bags, then monorail with a back pack to EPCOT for lunch. Eventually walk out of IG and check in. Maybe hit SAB depending.

We usually split BLT with either BCV or BWV. That way we concentrate on MK (walking) when at BLT, and then EPCOT/DHS at the other.

The split is easy for us. Check out and send the bags, then monorail with a back pack to EPCOT for lunch. Eventually walk out of IG and check in. Maybe hit SAB depending.

What is your preference between the two BCV or BWV? It is me, my husband, and four kids (DS, ages 15, 8, 8, 8). Would one be preferable over the other?

What is your preference between the two BCV or BWV? It is me, my husband, and four kids (DS, ages 15, 8, 8, 8). Would one be preferable over the other?

BCV for us, if the kids swim anyway SAB is amazing. BWV a super close 2nd, closer to DHS and just a great resort. BW View rooms are very fun IMO.

We prefer the BWV to BCV. We just like the atmosphere at BWV better. However, if any of your kiddos have issues with clowns, you may want to go for BCV if you are planning any pool time. The clown at the main pool at BWV freaks some people out. :)

We also split BLT with BW, just love being able to walk to parks, to bad there is no walkway from AKL to AK.

We prefer the BWV to BCV. We just like the atmosphere at BWV better. However, if any of your kiddos have issues with clowns, you may want to go for BCV if you are planning any pool time. The clown at the main pool at BWV freaks some people out. :)

Do you generally end with BLT or BWV? We could leave earlier and start at either BWV or BCV, which is why I'm asking.

Do you generally end with BLT or BWV? We could leave earlier and start at either BWV or BCV, which is why I'm asking.

For us anyway, we start at BLT. Like to check in and head right into MK (still an emotional connection to start at MK). The bags show up later in the room.

But we like BCV second because we stay more nights there. Kids are of age though so they like SAB for the afternoon, a lot of EPCOT/DHS evenings. :drinking1

The longer stay there seems more relaxing after the initial start at BLT.

Now if the kids were younger, we might stay longer at BLT/MK and maybe even end there with the longer stay.

We also split btwn blt and bwv!! Never stayed at Bcv yet but heard everyone loves their sandy bottom pool.

I just like the convenience to the parks. Boardwalk is our original home, and we tagged on Bay Lake to be near MK while the kids are young. Boardwalk, however, is our favorite area.

We like to do split stays with the AKL - try to end there for a few relaxing days once we've gotten our parks fix. Just find it more chill. Disney makes it so easy with moving luggage for you.

For us anyway, we start at BLT. Like to check in and head right into MK (still an emotional connection to start at MK). The bags show up later in the room.

But we like BCV second because we stay more nights there. Kids are of age though so they like SAB for the afternoon, a lot of EPCOT/DHS evenings. :drinking1

The longer stay there seems more relaxing after the initial start at BLT.

Now if the kids were younger, we might stay longer at BLT/MK and maybe even end there with the longer stay.

Ours are younger, except for our 15 year old, but they seem to really gravitate to MK, but they liked the other parks too. We spent our last day at MK so that's why I'm torn. We'd either have to leave earlier and end our trip on Marathon weekend (right now we are starting at BLT 6th, 7th, and 8th), but I thought Jan 2nd and on would still be quite busy from the holidays so that's why we were thinking of waiting and going the week after. So much to decide. :confused3

We've done split stays on all 3 trips... we've never had a problem and the Disney staff has always made sure our transfers were painless.

If you're going in January, SAB may not be viable due to temperatures. So I'd lean toward BWV for a January trip. If you're traveling at the beginning of the month, before or on the marathon week end, then it may be difficult to get any high demand resort. Then SSR I think it's a great option as well. Being able to walk to DS is a big draw for me. AKV is also a good option, if it'll be your first trip with Pandora open, it may be a park you may want to focus on.
Last January I did a split stay:
- SSR: for my DS and AK days
- BWV: for my Epcot and HS days
- Poly: for my MK days
It worked very well and it's a strategy I'm going to repeat in the future: one MK resort, one Crescent lake resort and one "the rest" resort (either SSR or AKV).

We did an AKV/BLT split in 2012. We started at AKV because that was the weekend and it was fewer points. The reason was just that I wanted to check out both resorts, LOL. We loved BLT and stayed there again for a 3 day weekend in 2014. If you are splitting your stay it does make sense to schedule the closest parks for when you are at that resort. MK days for BLT is a no-brainer. We will stay there again someday, I hope.

BW only has lock off 2BR, so you will not get 2 queen beds in the 2nd bedroom. Every other DVC, with the exception of Jambo at AKV has dedicated 2 BR with 2 real queen beds. If having a real bed is important then rethink BWV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter