Blind spots in vehicles (venting while car searching)

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
We are on the hunt to replace DH's work car. My car is a 2007 Mazda CX9 and the slanty/wedge windows design (thanks airbags) drives me nuts. DH has been taking mine for the most part the last 6 months as he drives further and I was hoping he would just keep the CX9 and we would replace for me, but it's white and he's like, ummmm, no thanks, lol. I love older , boxy cars..give me a '99 Jeep Cherokee, or older Forester or Outback...Explorer, anything I can see out of WITHOUT relying or being distracted by a back up camera, side beeping mirrors etc. DH is after 7 years or newer as we keep our cars 'till they drop..have replaced engines etc if the rest of the vehicle is decent. All these leased cars are supposed to be coming to market but they are all the same dang things...like driving an egg. If we lived where it was warm I'd drive a convertible so I could see, lol. DH is torn between sedan/SUV and hates leather but loves a sunroof , will consider any color BUT white, burgundy or gold, and has zero blind spot issues. Neither of us is willing to go over $15K out the door. Most days we have to share or limit me to* am I going to need to call a tow truck?* and it's getting old and double the gas when I drop him, pick him up. Man, I did not like car shopping in '07 and I like it even less now.

Sorry to hear you don't like car shopping. I love it...as I'm obsessed with it as many here are obsessed with planning a WDW trip. I'm ALWAYS shopping for a car, pretty much year round.

Newer cars can be harder to see out of for many reasons. Yes, the pillars are larger because not only do they contain airbags, they're much stronger and safer than they were years ago. Modern vehicle design also calls for higher "belt lines" (the bottom of the window) which can make for reduced visibility. Even with that, I think there are very few cars out there today that truly have very poor visibility...presuming your mirrors are adjusted properly. It may not be quite the same as the old Cherokee (I had an '01), but it's not atrocious. Convertibles have awesome visibility with the top down, but pretty poor with it up because the rear window is small.

Sit in them, adjust your mirrors 100% before going for a test drive. You'll get a feel pretty quickly if you like it or not. $15k budget can get you a pretty nice slightly used car, depending on what you want.

Do you know how to adjust your mirrors properly? You should not be seeing what is directly behind you in the side views. Correct adjustment virtually eliminates blind spots in any car.

I understand what you mean about the blind spots. I have a 2012 Equinox and have issues with the blind spots along the sides of the front windshield. I almost pulled out in front of a motorcycle one time simply because I could not see him when I was at the stop sign. I had just put my foot on the gas to go and looked again (thank God I did!!) and saw him then. But some of those blind spots are big!

I generally don't enjoy car shopping either, so many choices, and there are so many things I need/want the car to have and we no longer buy new vehicles as they're just too darned expensive so always go with at least 2-3 years old.

My Equinox is starting to "hard shift" occasionally, so we are watching the transmission and fluid very closely. Our mechanic says it's okay "for now" but we may end up having to put a new transmission in. The rest of the car is fine, so we really don't want to trade and have car payments for a longer period of time. DH will keep his 2011 Dodge Ram truck until the wheels fall off, as he paid an extra $2,000 to have a lifetime warranty. He's been hinting about looking for a new truck and I shoot him down every time. :)

Do you know how to adjust your mirrors properly? You should not be seeing what is directly behind you in the side views. Correct adjustment virtually eliminates blind spots in any car.
yes, but I still do not feel nearly as comfortable as I do in the older models and when I tested out a car with the back up camera, it was helpful but I did not care for the thought of needing to rely on that vs my own vision, kwim?Another one beeped when a car was in the blind spot on the road, totally freaked me out.
As Klayfish mentioned the higher belt lines are a huge culprit and to me, a lot of back windows are smaller too. I fully admit I am the issue, as DH has zero problem, but many of my neighbors agree with me. Another pet peeve of the high belt line? Drive up windows/banks lol. I have to be a contortionist to get my arm over the door to reach down to the bank machine (and I am tall, 5'9"). I loved our '96 Nissan Quest minivan for visibility and comfort. Really miss that van. The CX9, which has been uber reliable and comfy is indeed, an *egg*...and really hope to not repeat the style.

Sorry to hear you don't like car shopping. I love it...as I'm obsessed with it as many here are obsessed with planning a WDW trip. I'm ALWAYS shopping for a car, pretty much year round.

Newer cars can be harder to see out of for many reasons. Yes, the pillars are larger because not only do they contain airbags, they're much stronger and safer than they were years ago. Modern vehicle design also calls for higher "belt lines" (the bottom of the window) which can make for reduced visibility. Even with that, I think there are very few cars out there today that truly have very poor visibility...presuming your mirrors are adjusted properly. It may not be quite the same as the old Cherokee (I had an '01), but it's not atrocious. Convertibles have awesome visibility with the top down, but pretty poor with it up because the rear window is small.

Sit in them, adjust your mirrors 100% before going for a test drive. You'll get a feel pretty quickly if you like it or not. $15k budget can get you a pretty nice slightly used car, depending on what you want.

If our budget was endless and we had the time to drive 250 miles to check out a car I would enjoy it a lot more, lol. I agree on the side mirrors but even those have been streamlined for the all important look. So many are smaller and narrower now, and some do have the additional blind spot* mirror in mirror* One thing DH is having a hard time(in a vehicle large enough for his taste) finding is a sunroof w/out leather~ we have seen some, but not the right combo yet to meet his specs.

Thanks for the replies all!

Yes, I had a 2003 Expedition that I loved. It was big but I could see out of it. When that finally died on me last year, my new car has the worst blind spots. It's better now that I have gotten used to it but I still check over and over to change lanes because of the blind spots in the front posts.

yes, but I still do not feel nearly as comfortable as I do in the older models and when I tested out a car with the back up camera, it was helpful but I did not care for the thought of needing to rely on that vs my own vision, kwim?Another one beeped when a car was in the blind spot on the road, totally freaked me out.

I had a new Cadillac XT5 for a loaner last week. It had all the electronic nannies. Very distracting. Sticker was fifty thousand dollars for what was little more than a tarted up front-wheel-drive minivan. Of course they call it an SUV because that designation makes it a status symbol to some. Personally I was embarrassed to be seen in it. Was happy to get my station wagon back!

I completely understand where you are coming from, FINFAN. I have a 2010 Honda Pilot that has (in my opinion) great visibility. When we shopped, I immediately ruled out several SUV's because of the tiny little back windows that were useless as far as helping negotiate traffic, the Mazda products being on the I won't buy list.

If you are ok with the previous body style, check out the Pilots. But be aware and DO NOT buy one that has the eco drive transmission issues like the 2010's. The warranty was extended to 100k miles on my car and it's been "repaired" 4 times. I've started looking for a replacement for my Pilot (we are now out of the extended warranty and experiencing the nickle and dime repairs). I drove a Ford Expedition (rental) 2 blocks before pulling over and making DH drive the rest of the trip; I couldn't adjust the seat to a position that enabled me to see around the side view mirrors. I have a feeling I may end up with a long list of cars I can't drive safely.

This is how you eliminate blind spots and I can say it works

good video and helpful,...but as DH is an automotive engineer we already apply this method . I still am uneasy because there is a split second, a grey area if you will of the physical *space* of your car and the side mirrors and the actual distance of the vehicle in the blind spot. Hard to explain, but I never felt that with the older boxier vehicles and I use the mirror method in the video with the CX9(or at least I think I do, how DH has taught me and sure seems like the same) and still never feel quite comfortable. The even newer cars seem even MORE limiting. I also dislike the monstro head rests in 2nd and even 3rd row seats that can further aggravate the issue. I would take full responsibility as it all being on me, but others I have talked to have agreed that the newer models are sort of contradictory in safety, lol. The new designs allowing for airbags etc can almost be more dangerous because they can be difficult to see out of. Oh well...DH really will just have to remove me from the equation and search for a vehicle for himself (as I keep asking him to do) and hopefully I won't ever have to drive it :scared:

I had a new Cadillac XT5 for a loaner last week. It had all the electronic nannies. Very distracting. Sticker was fifty thousand dollars for what was little more than a tarted up front-wheel-drive minivan. Of course they call it an SUV because that designation makes it a status symbol to some. Personally I was embarrassed to be seen in it. Was happy to get my station wagon back!
"electronic nannies" lol....gonna use that!

I completely understand where you are coming from, FINFAN. I have a 2010 Honda Pilot that has (in my opinion) great visibility. When we shopped, I immediately ruled out several SUV's because of the tiny little back windows that were useless as far as helping negotiate traffic, the Mazda products being on the I won't buy list.

If you are ok with the previous body style, check out the Pilots. But be aware and DO NOT buy one that has the eco drive transmission issues like the 2010's. The warranty was extended to 100k miles on my car and it's been "repaired" 4 times. I've started looking for a replacement for my Pilot (we are now out of the extended warranty and experiencing the nickle and dime repairs). I drove a Ford Expedition (rental) 2 blocks before pulling over and making DH drive the rest of the trip; I couldn't adjust the seat to a position that enabled me to see around the side view mirrors. I have a feeling I may end up with a long list of cars I can't drive safely.
I mentioned the Pilot months ago but DH is not a fan of the shifter on the steering column. We could not be more opposite on our preferences, lol...only thing we are on the same page is the budget. honestly, I just saw a Cherokee with 90,000..if I coud just get DH to take the CX9~ I'd scoop up the Cherokee in a heartbeat. My brother suggested trading in the Mazda but I only have 50,000 on it tho so no way trading it in for anything else, we'd get hosed.

I mentioned the Pilot months ago but DH is not a fan of the shifter on the steering column. We could not be more opposite on our preferences, lol...only thing we are on the same page is the budget. honestly, I just saw a Cherokee with 90,000..if I coud just get DH to take the CX9~ I'd scoop up the Cherokee in a heartbeat. My brother suggested trading in the Mazda but I only have 50,000 on it tho so no way trading it in for anything else, we'd get hosed.

My shifter is beside the steering wheel and not on the column. It's kind of between the steering wheel and the climate controls.

And I completely agree with you about the importance of being able to see by looking out a window and not relying on the mirrors. I was taught to check your mirrors, then confirm there is no impediment to you moving in that direction by looking over your shoulder and out the windows. Same with backing out of a parking space. I will say the reverse camera is great in parking lots to see around other SUV's or large trucks.

My shifter is beside the steering wheel and not on the column. It's kind of between the steering wheel and the climate controls.

And I completely agree with you about the importance of being able to see by looking out a window and not relying on the mirrors. I was taught to check your mirrors, then confirm there is no impediment to you moving in that direction by looking over your shoulder and out the windows. Same with backing out of a parking space. I will say the reverse camera is great in parking lots to see around other SUV's or large trucks.
ahhh~ your shifter is on the dash?

Hey there...easy on the minivan hate. ;) :D They're not as cool as a Morgan or something, but minivans are the bees knees for young families. We've been driving nothing but Kia Sedonas since 2007 for family transport. They are so amazingly adept at doing what they were built to do. Haul families and their stuff. I've even used ours to tow race cars, so that's a bonus. Seriously though, I agree with you on paying that kind of coin for a tarted up minivan. At least for our intended use, no way on earth would I spend that kind of money on any minivan. We beat the puppy snot out of our van...the first Sedona we had was purchased when DW was pregnant with our twins. So it took them home from the hospital and carried them until they were 8. It saw endless food, drink, vomit, dirt, mud, sand, you name it. We also hauled bales of hay, towed mulch, towed race cars, moved furniture, etc.. with it. We knew we'd be beating it when we bought it. So we purposely went with a base model van, couldn't see the value in beating up a $45k (in 2007) minivan. Our current Sedona is also a base model, because we continue to use it like a mule. In a few years, when they're older, we'll get DW a luxury sports sedan, but for now...

Probably not what you're looking for, but nothing beats the visibility from a standard cab pickup truck.

Hey there...easy on the minivan hate. ;) :D They're not as cool as a Morgan or something, but minivans are the bees knees for young families. We've been driving nothing but Kia Sedonas since 2007 for family transport. They are so amazingly adept at doing what they were built to do. Haul families and their stuff. I've even used ours to tow race cars, so that's a bonus. Seriously though, I agree with you on paying that kind of coin for a tarted up minivan. At least for our intended use, no way on earth would I spend that kind of money on any minivan. We beat the puppy snot out of our van...the first Sedona we had was purchased when DW was pregnant with our twins. So it took them home from the hospital and carried them until they were 8. It saw endless food, drink, vomit, dirt, mud, sand, you name it. We also hauled bales of hay, towed mulch, towed race cars, moved furniture, etc.. with it. We knew we'd be beating it when we bought it. So we purposely went with a base model van, couldn't see the value in beating up a $45k (in 2007) minivan. Our current Sedona is also a base model, because we continue to use it like a mule. In a few years, when they're older, we'll get DW a luxury sports sedan, but for now...
No hate, I'm just saying that they are dressing up minivans and calling them "SUVs" or "Crossovers" and selling them to people who think that is some kind of status symbol. I guess a better description for these FWD car-based things would be "cars on stilts".

Sure. Imagine the horrors of showing up to a soccer game in...gasp...a minivan or station wagon. The shame would be enough to send people into hiding. :scared::rolleyes: But if you call it an SUV or crossover, it's "cool" and "hip". You're right, almost all SUVs are now simply station wagons on stilts, and crossovers are truly just cars with their pants hiked up. But hey, if people keep buying them, automakers will keep building them. As I said before, I love a true wagon. The CTS-V wagon is a very rare breed. I would beat down a door if Dodge would bring back the Magnum, offer it with a Hemi and a proper 6spd!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter