Birthday Suggestions

figaromeetsmarie

DIS Veteran
My Mother in Law will be turning 80 next month and I am at a loss at what to get her. It will most likely have to sent since she lives almost 1,000 miles from us and we don't know if we can get up there or not. I've had friends suggest grocery store certificates, dinner out, etc., but she really can afford all that so it wouldn't mean much to her and besides I would like to give her something that would knock her socks off! Any suggestions????? :goodvibes

maybe something with the family tree or maybe the family name/crest?

my family gets a kick out of that stuff

How about a digital photo frame filled with pictures and two memory cards (both filled with the same photos) and a bubble envelope. When she wants new pictures, tell her to mail you one card and you will put new ones on it and send it back. She'll still have the other card (so she'll still have pictures) while she waits for a refill :goodvibes

Not sure if it would knock her socks off... but how about flowers delivered to her once a month? My cousin is a florist and she suggests this for elderly relatives. You could phone a florist in your MILs town and set it up. I've done it for my mom and she really enjoyed it.

We've also sent them the Fruit of the Month club, small size, from Harry and David that was a big hit. Something to look forward to!

Since she is 80 she would probably enjoy a visit more than any gift you could buy.

I would forgo the gift and either visit her on/near her birthday with your family or send her a ticket to visit your family.

How about taking her out to lunch and then to a play or a concert, or a museum or art exhibit? Something other than 'stuff'

We gave a 70 yo relative a list of 70 things we love :love:about her - funny stories about her days on the farm, the lemon meringue pies cooling in the garage when we visited, etc...

I agree, a visit would probably be the best if you can do it.

:idea:When my BFF's mom turned 75, I wanted to do the same, "knock her socks off". Couldn't think of anything that I could afford or that she couldn't afford her self. I sent her a gift every day for a week. She loved it!!!! I started very small, and increased just a little each day. I started out with a bag of her favorite jelly bellies. Then sent her a small box of godiva chocolates (4 pieces). The very last gift was on her actual birthday and it was an arangement of flowers. Have fun with it and use your imagination. It's something different, but doesn't have to break the bank. Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter