Birthday Cake with DDP?

disney09

Mouseketeer
I apologize if this has been asked before, but my search engine doesn't work..
I've been reading about the amount of food giving with the DDP, which seems plenty. I'm celebrating DD7 and DS5' birthday with this trip, and I thought of buying a cake for them in the Liverty Tavern Tree. But since there's only four of us, and DD just likes to watch cakes but doesn't really care for them, I'm not sure if that's a good idea, and maybe ask for a cupcake instead? (well, two).
What do you think?
Thanks in advance! :cloud9:

I, personally, wouldn't spend the money on it but instead ask if the waiter can make their dessert special for their birthday - maybe with candles? You could even bring candles yourself and do it at the table.

we spent last sept there during the free DDP on my daughters B-day and will be there this Sept during her Bday again. I wouldnt and wont spend the extra for the cake.
1) Usually after all the food we cant eat it. Or SHOULDNT eat it!
2) Shes at WALT DISNEY WORLD! Thats enough present.
3) She will already get a card and ballons from Mickey, a pin from each park, and a small gift from us. Thats enough.
4) My son is with us. What does HE get? Its not fair to him. The cute lil princess is already stealing the show all week. She really dont need the cake too.
5) Its not free.
6) Usually the birthday cakes are kinda tasteless. They are usually just chocolate, and after a rum or cheesecake dessert (free on DDP) its a lil letdown flavor wise.

JMHO

I like explanation #2. :)

We did buy a cake for DN6 years ago. I think you need to consider that you're not really paying for the cake, but also for the fact that it greatly increases the chances that the characters at the meal, or the servers at non-character meals, will come over and sing Happy Birthday. They sung Happy Birthday at both of the meals we purchased a cake at, and at only one of the five other meals we didn't purchase a cake at, despite the fact that we mentioned her birthday at each restaurant, and that she was wearing her custom-made "Birthday Girl" t-shirt all week. (Thankfully we had a W/D in the villa!)

I actually liked the taste of the cake, and thought it was a bargain at $6 (this was 1999 I think).

When we went to the Garden Grill for my DD 16 birthday, they replaced the standard dessert they serve with a birthday cake we asked for. It was quite delicious. All the characters came and sang, and it was great. They even gave her a birthday certificate signed by the characters, and it didn't cost a cent extra :thumbsup2

We went to Liberty Tree Tavern for DD3's birthday and they gave her a big chocolate cupcake with a candle (plus a card signed by the characters). We were on the DDP and didn't pay extra. She just didn't get the cobbler dessert.

There were lots of other birthdays being celebrated that night, and most ppl seemed to get the cupcake. I did notice a few birthday cakes though.

I asked them to note the birthday celebration when I made the ADR. The CM went ahead and added it to all of my ADRs! We didn't get a cupcake at each meal though, which was perfectly fine, since how much cake can a 3YO eat?

We did buy a cake at the California Grill for an anniversary celebration during that trip. I was given a phone # to call for the cake. They had different options available (white cake/white chocolate frosting, chocolate cake/chocolate frosting, etc) and different sizes. We got the white/white and it was really good! Everyone loved the cake. They have a 6" cake for $15 that is supposed to serve 4-6. I got the larger $25 cake since there were 8 of us, and it was WAY too big!

Don't forget to ask for the birthday pins at guest services when you get to the park. It's just a nice pin to have-- don't expect anything extra from CMs, but don't be surprised if something special happens either.

Have a great trip!

!@#$% said:
3) She will already get a card and ballons from Mickey, a pin from each park, and a small gift from us. Thats enough.
JMHO

Can someone tell me more about this? How do you get balloons from Mickey and pins? My twins 5 :cheer2: will be celebrating their bday too! Thanks! :thumbsup2

Thank you all for your postings...
I think I'll go with the cupcake and bring candles just in case (that´s a good idea! pirate: ). I'm thinking the cake for just 4 of us after a big meal won't be such a good idea after all!

And yes, the CM took care to note both my kid's bdays for the 3 character meals we have! She told me about the card signed from the characters, which it will be awesome for them! If they come and sing happy birthday that'll be great, if not, DH and I will sing!! (would that scare the other people away? :teeth: )

Thanks again!! :grouphug:

Can someone tell me more about this? How do you get balloons from Mickey and pins? My twins 5 will be celebrating their bday too! Thanks!

CARD & BALLOONS

If you tell them at your Disney resort (during check-in) that your son or daughter is having a birthday, they will ask how old they will be, what day, and who their favorite character is. When you return from the park that day (or some day later that week if they are really slammed) there will be a "Happy Birthday" card with a picture of that character and a couple of balloons. :thumbsup2

Please note though that they arent obligated to do this!!! Tell them (but dont tell the kids), and hope for the best. Its free, but it is up to them. The All Stars and POP always do it for us, as our children's birthdays are both during value season which is when were always there. Its the cleaning ladys who actually do it, I think. ;) There was one week when we told them, then later reminded them, and they still didnt do it. I asked about it as we checked out (friendly like I may add) and she informed me it wasnt set in gold. They could do it or not do it. They have most of the time for both our kids.
Its a nice touch! Definately Disney style.

Buttons

When you enter any of the Disney theme parks, just go to the Guest Services (usually near the front gates of each park) and tell them its their birthday and they will give your child a button. You can celebrate every day of your visit if you wish, and get one from each park. But I wouldnt try it for more than 4 or 5 days. :cool1:

Now, take it a step further... Take both the balloons, pins and card home. Put them all into a nice color coordinated picture frame, with the DEFLATED (but not popped) balloons on top of a piece of brightly colored construction paper for a VERY NICE looking birthday souvenir. All it will cost you is the frame, and its VERY classy looking. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

What a great idea! :thumbsup2 Thanks, I will definitely do that, then they can treasure their WDW trip forever!
I love it!!! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter