Biking to Wilderness Lodge

drewc

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We recently purchased an RV, and I'm already planning on a trip to FTW for next December (2004).

We are planning to bring our bikes with us, and are curious to know if there is a bike accessible trail to the Wilderness Lodge. I know that we'll want to try some of the restaurants there at some point. I think you can take a boat there also, but I thought the bikes might be quicker.

Thanks.

Yes, there is a paved trail from the settlement area right to the entrance of WL. I've used it several times.

Two years ago when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge we rented bikes from there and went to Ft. Wilderness, It was a wonderful ride, there was a very small playground/monkey bars along the way that our kids stopped to play on, it really was a nice ride. You will enjoy it.

The exercise portion of the trail fell into disarray and was removed. (the "monkey bars" that Morgid refers to). At least they were gone last November. The trail is paved and wide, about a mile or so long. We use it frequently to go to WL. It is much quicker than any other way to the Lodge, and a nice, quiet scenic ride, too.

I don't think you will regret bringing bikes to FW. We use them all the time there and IMHO it is the best transportation system within the campground. There are plenty of bike racks at strategic areas (trading posts, pool, bus stops, Trails End, marina, etc.)

The entrance to the trail to WL is across the road from the Settlement Bus Depot, which is over by the petting zoo.

:D

You will love having your bikes with you - we rode all over FW and the bike trail to WL is excellent. The trail is very level and it's an easy ride to WL. There are paved walking/bike trails all over FW, and they are marked pretty well on the map. They are not well-lit, so you make want to get headlights if you will be riding at night.

Have fun planning :D

It's such a nice bike ride from Ft. Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge, and it seems to me that I remember it taking around 10 minutes starting at the petting zoo going to WL. Of course, we had my little niece biking with us, so it might have taken us longer than it would someone else. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! :D

We're thinking about camping at FW in Oct and I wanted to take our bikes but my DH wasn't sure we would use them. I showed him this thread, thanks everyone.

At your site do you just lock your bkies to a tree or something? And what about rain? or have you found it not be a problem?

I've never locked my bikes at all at FW and have never (knock wood) had a problem. Maybe it's because nobody wants my 'old lady' Schwinn.......

We always lock our bikes. My philosophy is to secure anything I can't afford to lose. We generally lock them to the picnic table at the campsite, or to a bike rack if we are riding about.

:D

you can ride your bike anywhere in the campground.
I have even road my bike outside of the campground.
with your bike there are many places you can go that you can't with a golf cart.

Thanks very much for all the great feedback. Sounds like we'll be able to do a lot with our bikes. We really enjoy it, now I just have to get my 6yo daughter going on her training-wheel-less bike and we'll be all set.

I'm also thinking this is a much cheaper option than renting a golf cart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter