Biggest surprises going to Disneyland after visiting WDW first?

sachilles

DVC coming to this space soon
My family has been to WDW a few times, and we really enjoy it.
We were unable to go this spring, which was a bummer, but a 1st world problem ;)

Work brings me to LA for October this year, and seeing as my wife and son have never been to California, we are going to work in a quick trip to Disneyland. We aren't real flexible in terms of time. We'll arrive in area Sunday October 15, stay at the Fairfield Inn across the street(had points to cover it). Hit the parks on the 16th and 17, and red eye home at midnight.
It's not a lot of time, but it's a quick fix, and budget friendly.
So we consider ourselves pretty experienced with the ways at WDW....but Disneyland is enough different, that it will be a new challenge.

I'm looking forward to walking from the hotel to the parks. My son is 8, so walking is a non issue. We are excited to compare similar attractions, and experience the stuff that is unique to the California property.

I'm not sure if it's been released yet, but we've ready about the halloween festivities which are usually Monday's in October....our first day would be Monday. So we need to figure out whether the hard ticket event is worth it....whether park hoppers are worth it for just 2 days, when you might have a hard ticket add on to figure in. Obviously it's not ideal in that the whole thing is a bit of rush, but we are just trying to run with the opportunity in front of us.

Anyways, what surprised you the most about Disneyland after having been to the Florida parks?

The compactness and charm of Disneyland. There is a certain "magic" to Disneyland that WDW tries to emulate, but seems to miss ever so slightly. In addition, most of the best rides from WDW are on a footprint smaller than that of AK, so navigation is amazingly easy. You may get turned around in Disneyland as you try to recall the MK map and learned touring patterns. You will suffer from "I know it was here" or "how come I can't get to X from Y". We are going to have this in October when we go back east.

We were WDW devotees as it was the only Disney property visited from 1976 to the late 2000's. Now we prefer DLR and make the trip to WDW every other year or so. We truly love and appreciate them both, but for a shorter trip DLR is our go to and for a week stay we try to head to WDW. With the new activities such as the new fireworks at MK, DHS (Star Wars tour and fireworks) and AK (ROL and Pandora) we're excited to go back to WDW this October (7-14).

I know you will read a lot about the size of the castle, Walt's presence, and the differences in rides, but I'd suggest simply trying to look around while in Disneyland and take it all in. Don't shortchange California Adventure as Carsland is a masterpiece of design and theme and RSR is, as Stacy says, a "must do". In my mind there is room to love and enjoy both as it's not a competition, nor is there a "better". It will come down to what you and your family enjoy the most..:) You will create new favorites and find yourself wanting to go back. Due to proximity (Arizona) DLR (16) has edged out WDW (11) on our "how many times list". I know you and your family will love the DLR and have a great time!

Mike

How physically small it is. I'll be honest, the first time I didn't like it. There were too many people and I found it hard to find lines for rides because everything was right there in the same place. Once I figured it out, I was hooked on DLR and florida became an annoyance. On the bright side, my mother said she really noticed the weather difference and how much that made her trip better (because it is generally a non issue in CA). You might hit the sweet spot and not need hoppers to really be able to hop (plus, you could always add them later). First day hit DCA and then sometime after 3 or 4 go into DL with a party ticket. Next day make it a DL only day. I would make a sit down early dinner reservation the last day since you won't have anywhere to rest and have a red eye home.

On another note...Planning at the DLR is less intense. There is no magic band or Fastpass+ yet. Meals at 60 days are not always necessary unless you want a high demand location. There are fewer good table service restaurants as compared to the entirety of WDW so advanced knowledge is easier to obtain. I like to plan at 60 days so I know we won't miss out on the things we love, but most don't worry until they are much closer. This is my "planning gene" that I cant turn off... I'd also suggest that you keep your ears to the DIS for changes to the Fastpass system over the next few months.
Mike

The ease of planning was the biggest surprise. I planned our eight-day 2014 WDW trip backward and forward to within an inch of its life. Touring plans, ADRs, FP+ - the works. Read EasyWDW religiously every day. The following year, when we did DL, I did the same thing, and discovered that it really was not necessary.

I really prefer DL to WDW. DL and DCA combined have so much to do. Except for MK, WDW doesn't have a heck of a lot going on and DHS is practically dead right now. Maybe once Pandora opens at AK, it'll be different. But I don't like the idea of trying to spend a day at DHS to hit its five attractions and try to deal with FP+.

We did a back to back trip last year. DL first and then WDW. We have been to DL a few times before. That being said....I will never go back to WDW. I hated fast pass+. We met up with family who did not buy passes until they got to the parks because they could not commit until last minute. So no ADR'S either, and certainly no walk ups. WDW was to me, a whole lot of hurry up and wait.....and maybe ride 5 rides a day. I can do that in an hour at DL and get a table at BB if I eat at earlier in the afternoon.

I suspect the thing that strikes most WDW veterans is the DL Castle.

What I like about DL/DCA is how close everything is. You can easily park hop.

So far, the relative lack of pre-planning sounds good. I plan a lot out in advance for our wdw trips, but only use it as a loose guideline. We generally go at low crowd times. That being said I'M a planner, and that is actually how I make my living....so I have that OCD side in me. However, I do enjoy spontaneous stuff. I'm just accustomed with Disney to plan ahead for things we absolutely positively don't want to miss. For us, the good thing is that it's enough of a mystery to not have a "must" list. Well at least not yet.
It will be nice, we'll be out there for my work, which is in motorsports. It's the final race of the season, so I'll be ready to cut loose and relax.
In full disclosure I've been to Disneyland as a child, but that was 25 or 30 years ago, so my memory is foggy to say the least, and It's changed a bunch. Cars land is about as close to a "must" as we have, being slightly car obsessed.

How cramped it feels. The rides are on top of each other.
Also you wait outside quite a bit in the blazing sun.
I think I had my expectations for DLR too high overall when going the first time in 2013. I'm going again in June of this year and I know what I'm walking into and I know what I like and don't like so I think it will be a funner experience this time.

So far, the relative lack of pre-planning sounds good. I plan a lot out in advance for our wdw trips, but only use it as a loose guideline. We generally go at low crowd times. That being said I'M a planner, and that is actually how I make my living....so I have that OCD side in me. However, I do enjoy spontaneous stuff. I'm just accustomed with Disney to plan ahead for things we absolutely positively don't want to miss. For us, the good thing is that it's enough of a mystery to not have a "must" list. Well at least not yet.
It will be nice, we'll be out there for my work, which is in motorsports. It's the final race of the season, so I'll be ready to cut loose and relax.
In full disclosure I've been to Disneyland as a child, but that was 25 or 30 years ago, so my memory is foggy to say the least, and It's changed a bunch. Cars land is about as close to a "must" as we have, being slightly car obsessed.
My wife is a big time planner. I put it this way recently as we've started researching a trip to WDW next year.

Pre-planning is a NECESSITY to be on the same playing field at WDW.
Pre-planning is a BENEFIT to give you an advantage at DLR.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but there are rumors the Halloween Party could switch to DCA. Just something to consider when you're thinking about whether park hoppers or party tickets are worth it in your short stay.

Disneyland was the first park I went to. When we went to WDW (before kids) I was just amazed at the expansiveness. Disneyland is much more compact. It's not just the lack of resorts, etc. The parks are a lot smaller, especially comparing Disneyland to Magic Kingdom. This is nice on the feet. There are more rides in Disneyland than in Magic Kingdom even though the park is smaller. In fact the two parks together only have a few less rides than the four parks at WDW. However, there is a lot more entertainment offerings (shows, etc.) at WDW. Disneyland has the Mickey and the Magical Map show and two rotating short shows in the Princess Fantasy Faire. And DCA has the Frozen Live plus the Disney Junior show. Those are the only stage shows, though there are some other entertainment options. If Fantasmic is playing while you're there it is a bigger spectacular than at WDW. Any possibility of adding Sunday night to your days in the park so you could see Fantasmic? It generally only plays weekends in Octobers. Have fun!

Good to know about the halloween party. I'm not sure it makes a difference to me though, at least not with my current knowledge. My thought is non park hopper ticket for the park without the party then try to get the ticket for the halloween party, go there that night. Then go to whichever park we like best the next day.

Not to scare you, but be warned that this past year, mid-October was INSANELY crowded. Like... It was worse than summer crowds. A lot of places apparently have fall breaks, and the Halloween festivities really draw people in. I'd definitely do a Halloween party if one is offered just so you can experience a park with the lower crowd conditions of a hard-ticket event!

We've been looking at the crowd calendars, and it looks like it's super busy the weekend prior to our visit, but not to bad the two days we are there.
Columbus day weekend is the weekend before, which I'd assume might be a little nutty. I'd guess California schools might have the previous Monday off, so I'm hopeful we'll just miss it.
However, if it is crowed, we'll deal with it.
I suspect it won't be too bad, as the hotel allowed me to use points to book, and it wasn't a crazy amount to do it. So it's a good sign that the hotels aren't booked up.....yet. However, its still a long way out.

Any idea about when they announce the halloween hard ticket events? Historically when do they announce it?

I'm going to be corny and say how adorable it is. Really charming in how much smaller it is, the more "authentic" it feels. You get a much more laid back feel, not as rushed and harried as WDW.

Most of this has been said. But the first big surprise was how dinky everything was! Main Street was smaller, the Hall of Presidents is just a Moment with Mr. Lincoln, the narrow passages through Tomorrowland and Adventureland, and the castle is so tiny (which for me makes it hard to feel that magic you feel at WDW MK's castle). With the smallness being spoken for, you'll like the fact that you don't have to wait on buses and you can walk from one park to another.

Also, unlike WDW, DL doesn't do fireworks nightly during the offseason. And even when they do run them nightly, they get cancelled enough to be noticeable. So if you're like us and think Disney Parks revolves around the nightly show, you'll need to adjust your thinking.

Planning is a lot easier, though with just one short trip, you'll never get into the mode of non-planning. And actually, I wish I still had some of that old WDW uber-planning spirit. It would've made for a better trip last time we were there. But I got too relaxed with the DL ways and got nailed on an insanely busy Friday night.

You'll be surprised at how much DCA is like DHS, except that DCA is better with Cars Land and Grizzly Peak Park area.

And lastly, you'll be surprised at the few table service restaurants that are worth eating at. WDW just kills DL in this category. But there are a few more options in the Counter Service category vs. WDW, so that makes it not as bad as it could be.

For me there were two things:
1. How much I enjoyed DCA. The first time I went I went to both parks just to say that I had but I ended up loving DCA! It has it's own charm that is unlike any other Disney park.
2. How long people camp out for night time entertainment. I assume that because there are so many locals/AP holders then a lot of them who come just for World of Color or the fireworks, so they have time to wait. More people were getting spots much earlier than I recall at anything in WDW, especially during non-peak time (mid September).

Do your best to try not to compare Disneyland with Magic Kingdom. They are cousins, not twins and each have their own appeals and special somethings.

I haven't been to WDW for a very long time so I can't offer you any comparisons between the two parks. I would plan on crowds as it's been pretty insane all year at Disneyland. We went late February which is a typical low crowd time period and we experienced high crowds. I think if you go into it expecting high crowds and have a plan you won't be disappointed. If you end up with low crowds that's just a bonus. We've stayed at FFI and I really liked it. It's pretty basic and no frills but the lobby had (not sure what's there now as I think they've remodeled) some black and white pictures of Disneyland from it's early days. The lobby was decorated very Disney and it was just very welcoming and exciting when you're headed to Disneyland! We also had great customer service which I really appreciated. I'm sure your family will have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter