Big Island tour from Oahu

CT15

Earning My Ears
We are going to Aulani in Sept, and we have never been to Hawaii, so I was thinking of taking the tour offered in the excursions listing on the Aulani website- Oahu to the Big Island Volcano tour. Has anyone taken this tour? Was it worth it? I am torn because it eats a big chuck of time- [ a very full day] but to see a volcano would be very cool. Coming from the Northeast- that would be something to see. Any suggestions/ advice welcome. Thanks!!

I haven't been on that tour but we have vacationed on The Big Island twice and it is our favorite island. Volcano National Park is really cool and even more so at night if that's part of the tour. There's nothing on earth like the sky at night at the volcano. There are no lights for miles except the glow of the volcano. And because of where the island is located, you can see far far far more stars at night than you can from the northeast. You can't imagine how much of the sky you can see there.

Is there any part of that tour that can't be done by buying the flight, renting a car and driving yourself? We're visiting the Big Island on a cruise and renting a car seems to be the strategy of choice for seeing each island. Car rentals are cheap and driving is easy. There are even narrated tours you can download to go along with the drive (try Shaka Guide tours in iTunes for a local option).
If you have several people you may want to price out the difference to just buy a day trip airfare and rent a car. It may be significantly cheaper, or not.
I agree seeing Volcano National Park is worth the trip, I think taking the Aulani-led excursion depends on your budget, group size, and desire for independence.

I haven't been on that tour but we have vacationed on The Big Island twice and it is our favorite island. Volcano National Park is really cool and even more so at night if that's part of the tour. There's nothing on earth like the sky at night at the volcano. There are no lights for miles except the glow of the volcano. And because of where the island is located, you can see far far far more stars at night than you can from the northeast. You can't imagine how much of the sky you can see there.

Thanks much for the info- I am hoping I can fir this trip into our plans! It would be a VERY full day..

Is there any part of that tour that can't be done by buying the flight, renting a car and driving yourself? We're visiting the Big Island on a cruise and renting a car seems to be the strategy of choice for seeing each island. Car rentals are cheap and driving is easy. There are even narrated tours you can download to go along with the drive (try Shaka Guide tours in iTunes for a local option).
If you have several people you may want to price out the difference to just buy a day trip airfare and rent a car. It may be significantly cheaper, or not.
I agree seeing Volcano National Park is worth the trip, I think taking the Aulani-led excursion depends on your budget, group size, and desire for independence.

Well from I have read the tour groups block large chunks of space on the flights- so I might not a seat if I don't go by a tour.. plus the nice thing about a tour is that they pick up and drop off at the airport and we can sit back and relax ... still thinking about this- would hate to get all the way to Hawaii and NOT see the volcano's...but we'll see...anyone else have any thoughts on this??

Well from I have read the tour groups block large chunks of space on the flights- so I might not a seat if I don't go by a tour.. plus the nice thing about a tour is that they pick up and drop off at the airport and we can sit back and relax ... still thinking about this- would hate to get all the way to Hawaii and NOT see the volcano's...but we'll see...anyone else have any thoughts on this??

Understand. We did a trip to HI a long time ago, stayed on Maui and Kawaii and did a day trip to Pearl Harbor. Planning was much different then though, pre-internet! These days I'd compare availability and pricing for both, especially if you already have a car at Aulani. You'll know in advance if you have a seat booked or not, lots of people fly inter-island daily. It definitely depends on individual preferences for flexibility and control. Some don't like big tour bus tours.
In Hilo we are doing a tour with Mary Lou's Tours to VNP, she is highly recommended. Other islands we are renting a car. We just wanted to plan one day off from driving so I get that part. :-)

We did our own Big Island tour just a few weeks ago. We flew from HNL to Kona in the morning, rented a van and circled the island. We visited the Waipio Overlook, Akaka and Rainbow Falls, Volcanoes National Park and the black sand beach. Then we flew back to HNL that evening. Total time on the island was about 11 hours, with a 240 mile drive. All of this for about the same price as a luau.

The view of the volcano was amazing. Easily the most impressive site on our trip.

Understand. We did a trip to HI a long time ago, stayed on Maui and Kawaii and did a day trip to Pearl Harbor.

Did you mean "Kauai" or are you saying Oahu was kawaii?
We are going to Aulani in Sept, and we have never been to Hawaii, so I was thinking of taking the tour offered in the excursions listing on the Aulani website- Oahu to the Big Island Volcano tour. Has anyone taken this tour? Was it worth it? I am torn because it eats a big chuck of time- [ a very full day] but to see a volcano would be very cool. Coming from the Northeast- that would be something to see. Any suggestions/ advice welcome. Thanks!!

Diamond Head is a volcano, but I understand wanting to see one that's active. When I was a tourist, I went on a tour and once I moved here, I've gone 3 times while driving myself. Personally, I like driving myself. They give you a map at the ranger station telling you about each stopping point, and once you get out the car, there are little signs with more info. Plus, you can spend as much or as little time at each stop as you want. I'd try and tack on 1-2 days on the east side of the BI either right before or after your trip to Aulani.

Did you mean "Kauai" or are you saying Oahu was kawaii?
LOL - sorry that was a weird autocorrect of a typo. That trip we stayed on Maui and Kauai and did a day trip over to Oahu to visit Pearl Harbor (one day round trip by air).
I've since been back to Kauai, so I should know how to spell it! :-)

LOL - sorry that was a weird autocorrect of a typo. That trip we stayed on Maui and Kauai and did a day trip over to Oahu to visit Pearl Harbor (one day round trip by air).
I've since been back to Kauai, so I should know how to spell it! :-)

You could've easily been calling Oahu cute, though. It's not an odd thing to say in Hawaii, but I just wanted to clarify. Lol

I just wanted to say--if you don't already know--that I expected the drive up to VNP to be very narrow and wind-y, like going to Hana. But it (as well as the road to Haleakala, if that's ever relevant for you) is a very nice, well-paved, wide road. Just in case you were considering that in your choice of rental car.

I just wanted to say--if you don't already know--that I expected the drive up to VNP to be very narrow and wind-y, like going to Hana. But it (as well as the road to Haleakala, if that's ever relevant for you) is a very nice, well-paved, wide road. Just in case you were considering that in your choice of rental car.
Thanks, that's good to know. For us its not the driving, we're used to towing a trailer through the Rockies. Its more the part about having a tour guide and not dealing with a rental car for one day. It seems like a nice small tour (we'll be 4 of 6 people) led by locals.

Good to know about Haleakala. We will have a car and haven't decided whether to make the drive there or not on our 2nd Maui day. My kids love volcanoes (and can teach others from all the national parks we've been to) but I'm feeling like the drive to Haleakala AND the drive to VNP two days in a row might get old. Undecided.
(Don't want to hijack though)

Good to know about Haleakala. We will have a car and haven't decided whether to make the drive there or not on our 2nd Maui day. My kids love volcanoes (and can teach others from all the national parks we've been to) but I'm feeling like the drive to Haleakala AND the drive to VNP two days in a row might get old. Undecided.
(Don't want to hijack though)

You can spend a while exploring Upcountry to make the drive worth while. See the lavender farm, botanical gardens, eat at Ulupalakua Ranch, and visit Makawao.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter