Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique coming to Cinderella Castle (Orlando Sentinel)

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
TOURISM & TRAVEL
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique coming to Cinderella Castle

Posted April 30, 2007

Extreme little princess makeover, Disney style, is moving to the Magic Kingdom.

A second location of Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, Disney's salon for young princesses and pirates, will open in September at the Cinderella Castle in the Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World announced.

Young girls can choose from three makeover packages ranging in price from $35 to $245: the "coach," with hairstyle and makeup; the "crown," with hairstyle, nails and makeup; and the "castle," with hairstyle, nails, makeup, an imaging package and princess costume, complete with a crown, wand and shoes.

Within each makeover package, the girls also can choose from three different hairstyles -- the Disney Diva, the Pop Princess or the Fairytale Princess.

The Magic Kingdom salon will be open every day from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Children must be 3 years or older and theme park admission is required.

The first salon is located at Downtown Disney Marketplace, inside the World of Disney Princess Room

Sprucing up

American Airlines plans to upgrade its fleet of 124 Boeing 757s over the next two years. The makeovers include the installation of new seats, new cabin interiors and updated in-flight entertainment systems.

The airline, which in January ranked third in passenger market share at Orlando International Airport, already is working on enhancements to its fleet of Boeing 777, 767-300s and 767-200 aircraft.

Universal deal for Floridians

Universal Orlando has announced a new offer for Florida residents that cuts the regular room rate of the resort's three on-site Loews Hotels by more than 40 percent a night. Hotel guests also receive Universal Express access, which allows them to bypass lines at Universal's two parks.

In addition to the hotel deal, Florida residents can receive two days at the parks for the price of a 1-day/1-park ticket. The 2-day/2-park ticket gives access to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

The ticket offer is only available online and is valid through May 15. The hotel prices are valid through June 7.

Hilton sells hotels

Hilton Hotels Corp., the second-largest U.S. hotel company, has agreed to sell as many as 10 hotels for about $770 million to Morgan Stanley. Morgan Stanley Real Estate will invest about $25 million in five of the hotels, Hilton said. Hilton said it expects about $614 million in net proceeds from the sales and will use it to pay down debt.

Scott Powers of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. Information from Bloomberg News also was used.

I still don't like the idea, Arribas Bros and the other Disney art portion were much nicer IMO, but I knew this was probably happening for some time.

That's essentially what I said when the first one opened up; I think the whole thing leans a little to close to objectifying little children.

I'm okay with a little dress up-- but yeesh.

I just don't get this second location....."Honey, we just spent $xxx for park tickets, lets not do the rides/shows but spend a few hours in a hair salon that we could do on a non-park day at DTD"

I expect this will be a big moneymaker, but I agree with AV that the whole thing is kinda creepy. Getting a haircut in a barber shop with old-fashioned decorations is one thing. I see this as the difference between sharing a special vacation with your child and telling them that they are, in fact, the center of the universe.

I think it also underscores the difference in attitudes between boy and girl children. Boys are given pirate swords and allowed to go play. Girls are dressed up like Madame Alexander dolls and fawned over for just sitting and being cute. But I digress...

What's also very interesting is the message Disney used to send out. Look at the heroines from Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocohantas and Mulan. All those movies were very much about young women creating their own lives, following their own interests, making themselves happy.

Now, in the last couple years, it's all about being a "princess" - the only important thing for a girl is to look pretty. Instead of taking part of an adventure with Areil or reading like Belle - girls get made up to look like dolls and have no value themseleves: a little girl's value is measured by the amount of money spent on her.

The Disney Heroine has gone from Mulan defending her family to Paris Hilton demanding daddy's credit card. How sad.

Does this give anyone else get an icky Jon Bennet Ramsey feeling about all of this?

You hit it right on the head and that's how I feel as well. I understand the whole princess thing but it can be taken too far, IMO. I've seen pictures of those little girls come out of that boutique all done up and wonder how it can be considered a good thing. I got that Jon Bennet Ramsey feeling as well.

What's also very interesting is the message Disney used to send out. Look at the heroines from Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Pocohantas and Mulan. All those movies were very much about young women creating their own lives, following their own interests, making themselves happy.

Yes but eventually they all got to wear some great "dress" along the way. I wouldn't put it in the league of the pageants, where kids are dressed up for every pedophille to gauk over, but moreso Disney finding another way of stripping parents of another $250.00.

I have no problem shelling out $40 bucks for my daughter to get her hair and nails done at DTD especially since we visited the barber shop last time we were there and she loved it. Yes going the whole 9 yards with the gown is IMHO a bit exorbitant but to each their own. Little girls have been playing dress up for years before anyone ever heard of Jon Benet Ramsey, so I dont see where that is really a fair comparison.

What does disturb me is that WDW is shoving great artisans out of the park in order to clone something already available on property. It just smacks me as serving to the lowest common denominator again (much like the restaurant menus). I have no problem some sparkles and some hairspray but when will DIsney realize that it is not everyones dream to be american idolized

What does disturb me is that WDW is shoving great artisans out of the park in order to clone something already available on property. It just smacks me as serving to the lowest common denominator again (much like the restaurant menus). I have no problem some sparkles and some hairspray but when will DIsney realize that it is not everyones dream to be american idolized

Yep. I became good friends with Eddie, the cartoonist who's usually in the back of the current shop, he said they were planning to move him back to Main St. in the former cinema I think?

Plus Arribas Bros has 2 other places in MK, but still, I go into the castle expecting to find nice stuff like they have now.

Does this give anyone else get an icky Jon Bennet Ramsey feeling about all of this?

I agree with you on this one, they plaster way too much makeup and hairspray on these little girls. I'm cool with the dresses, nails, and maybe a cute little hairdo;the make-up does remind me of those creepy pageants.

Yep. I became good friends with Eddie, the cartoonist who's usually in the back of the current shop, he said they were planning to move him back to Main St. in the former cinema I think?

Plus Arribas Bros has 2 other places in MK, but still, I go into the castle expecting to find nice stuff like they have now.

Thanks for that info Chris I didnt realize that Arribas Bros had 2 other shops. It just seems like their shop was a natural fit to be located in the castle

I agree with you on this one, they plaster way too much makeup and hairspray on these little girls. I'm cool with the dresses, nails, and maybe a cute little hairdo;the make-up does remind me of those creepy pageants.

Well.. mark it on your calendars.. Today's the day the "Who Woulda Thunk Three Would Agree" Trifecta pays off today..

I agree with both of you on this one.. A little too creepy for me!

Knox

You two are going to force me to change my opinion just so I can remain the hated evil outcast!

You two are going to force me to change my opinion just so I can remain the hated evil outcast!

Ahh, your just paranoid AV, your not considered the hated evil outcast........or are you?;)

I don't always agree with some of your conclusions -- but I absolutely respect your in-depth knowledge of the history, context.. all things Disney etc.

Ooh wait.. I can use this smilie on the RUMORs board finally.. :grouphug:

(chuckle)

Knox

Arribas Bros is leaving? Is this new boutique going in the shop that you would enter on the LEFT as you walk from Main Street into the castle??? What a shame if so!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter