Bi-lateral Knee Replacements and Disneyland

ColoradoK

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

I've been searching and browsing this forum a bit but can't quite find what I need. A member of our party has had both knees replaced in recent years and we're trying to figure how to best help her navigate the parks for the first time since having those surgeries. Stairs can be difficult as can getting into and out of lower seats. She plans to rent an ECV but she's also trying to get herself ready for a lot of walking. But when she does a lot of walking, stairs can become super difficult.

She's trying to figure out how far her knees need to be able to bend in order to get in and out of certain rides. I'm picturing Space Mountain as one that might be a bit more difficult. What do we do when we approach a queue? How do we know which queues will have stairs so that we speak up with enough notice? As I understand, her mobility issues won't qualify for any sort of DAS, correct? She might not always be using the ECV (she is a bit resistant) so she might not always be "obvious" to a CM.

Can you advise, please? Thanks in advance!

There's a YouTube channel called Pammie Plus Parks and she not only shares plus size info about each ride but also for all disabilities. She even tells and shows how far you need to step down into a ride, etc. (I'm plus size AND have bad knees so it was helpful). Also, you might go through each park and watch a video of the ride to see the queue and entrance/exit. That helped me a lot in knowing what to expect. The ECV is a lifesaver. I didn't want to use it but then loved it.

I want to caution you about over doing it. It is not worth one trip to WDW when she is not completely healed. My dad learned the hard way by overdoing things after his surgery, and that was just at home in his back yard. So now his knee is really messed up. If she still struggles with stairs and sitting, I would not go to WDW at this time. This might be one of those times where it is not worth it. At the very least, have her talk to her doctor about it.

I haven't yet, but I need both of my badly arthritic knees replaced and I use an ECV. However.... I only know Disney World and not Disneyland. I think some things are the same but others things I'm sure are very different. Right now for me, for example, I have trouble with Small World boats (seat low to the ground and not much room between seats) but I can ride the Frozen ride or Pandora boat ride without as much discomfort. Generally you can ask the CM at the attraction entrance about stairs and they will direct you. If she takes her ECV into the line (I often do) then the CM will let you know any special routes to take. They are very efficient at this since it's a common issue.

Pammie's videos for WDW are very cool ... she is all WDW I think ... but her tips are useful for both parks many times.

Hopefully someone can chime in on the ride vehicles at DL.

I have a bad knee. Pirates and splash mountain were both a no-go for me. I don’t do roller coasters so can’t comment on any of those.

My suggestion would just be to ask at the attractions that you cannot see the full queue if there are stairs if your party member has chosen to walk instead of using the EVC. If they indicate stairs, then ask if there is a way to avoid. Something to note is that many queues at DL are not as accessible and CA queues are almost all accessible.

I cannot remember, other than basically every boat attraction, which attractions had a large step in and out at DLR. I probably will have to go back through the attraction videos and images online before we go back next year.

I do remember we had to transfer my sister from her EVC to a WC and take an elevator for StarTours.

I want to caution you about over doing it. It is not worth one trip to WDW when she is not completely healed. My dad learned the hard way by overdoing things after his surgery, and that was just at home in his back yard. So now his knee is really messed up. If she still struggles with stairs and sitting, I would not go to WDW at this time. This might be one of those times where it is not worth it. At the very least, have her talk to her doctor about it.
It can be done, but as you say, don't overdo it.

Renting the ECV is key, make sure she has one, she should not be pushing herself to be ready for a lot of walking, in fact I would minimize walking as much as possible, unless otherwise instructed by her doctor. If she does want to walk for a bit, have another member of your party drive the ECV while she is walking, then if she needs it, it is right there and you will be directed around stairs automatically.

By having the ECV with her, she will automatically be directed around stairs. Please note that there are some attractions where ECVs cannot go through the queue, in these cases, they will provide a park wheelchair, but someone will need to push. I would strongly recommend using the wheelchair and having someone push, as the twists and turns of the queues can be very hard on bad knees, something DH knows from experience. If no one can push, MOST of the attractions with ECV restrictions have alternative entrances, but you will need to ask specifically for those. At WDW, this includes: Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Buzz, Rock n Roller Coaster that have alternative entrances that can accommodate ECVs. At Disneyland, at present the only queue that isn't allowing ECVs that I know of is Star Tours and they don't like it, but they can direct you to an alternative. Haunted Mansion on bother coasts, while handled differently at each, is back to allowing ECVs in the queues.

It can be done, but as you say, don't overdo it.

Renting the ECV is key, make sure she has one, she should not be pushing herself to be ready for a lot of walking, in fact I would minimize walking as much as possible, unless otherwise instructed by her doctor. If she does want to walk for a bit, have another member of your party drive the ECV while she is walking, then if she needs it, it is right there and you will be directed around stairs automatically.

By having the ECV with her, she will automatically be directed around stairs. Please note that there are some attractions where ECVs cannot go through the queue, in these cases, they will provide a park wheelchair, but someone will need to push. I would strongly recommend using the wheelchair and having someone push, as the twists and turns of the queues can be very hard on bad knees, something DH knows from experience. If no one can push, MOST of the attractions with ECV restrictions have alternative entrances, but you will need to ask specifically for those. At WDW, this includes: Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Buzz, Rock n Roller Coaster that have alternative entrances that can accommodate ECVs. At Disneyland, at present the only queue that isn't allowing ECVs that I know of is Star Tours and they don't like it, but they can direct you to an alternative. Haunted Mansion on bother coasts, while handled differently at each, is back to allowing ECVs in the queues.

Of course "it can be done". I was sharing another point of view. After seeing how it affected my dad to just go out and about in his yard, I am saying that it would not be worth it to over do it so soon after surgery. She is obviously concerned about getting in and out of rides, which is very difficult to do with bad knees. One wrong twist and you could screw up what you just fixed. We all love Disney and like to encourage people to go, no matter what their issues are. But sometimes, it is better to wait. I strongly encourage this person to talk to their doctor about it.

Response related to Disneyland as in the post title.

I travel with my Mom to Disneyland a lot (WDW too but not as much). She had 1 knee replaced in late 2017 and need her hip now. For Disneyland, we use a wheelchair (that I am now own) and at WDW an ECV. The cast members are always super helpful. At Disneyland, there are quite a few queues that the ECV cannot go through, and you will be directed to an alternate entrance to either get a return time or right onto the ride if the line is short enough. DCA - the lines are all main streamed so the ECV can go through the whole line. If your friend has a cane, have her bring it as well. CMs will allow use of the handicap lines with just a cane if she wants. The cast members will also ask if she wants to park the ECV (and/or can stand X number of minutes to leave it outside and walk through the handicap line). We usually bring our wheelchair into the lines, but she does walk a few now.

In terms of getting in and out of the ride vehicles, for most, your friend can take all the time she needs. Moving walk ways can be slowed or stopped. Space Mountain, the handicap car is pulled off the track so you can take all the time you need. My Mom's knee does not always flex all the way and she will use her hand to push it a little further if needed. She just takes it slow - I help her. And cast members who should not be during Covid will also often help with a hand or arm to get out (not expected, but can be nice). Your friend should know her limitations too. For my Mom, she can ride the Racers, but we need to sit in the back seat (with her on the left side seat). This makes it much easier for her to get out of the car and we are just happy to ride it knowing we can always make someone happy by giving them the front. In the first 2-3 months after her knee replacement when we back (about 2 months post op was her first visit), we took it very easy and took a very laid back approach to rides and only chose those she could walk pretty much straight on and sit without having to really step up or down. Examples include Soaring, Toy Story, Monsters Inc (from the non-step podium - just have to ask to avoid the step).

There's a YouTube channel called Pammie Plus Parks and she not only shares plus size info about each ride but also for all disabilities. She even tells and shows how far you need to step down into a ride, etc. (I'm plus size AND have bad knees so it was helpful). Also, you might go through each park and watch a video of the ride to see the queue and entrance/exit. That helped me a lot in knowing what to expect. The ECV is a lifesaver. I didn't want to use it but then loved it.
Thanks so much! I'll check it out. I'm really hoping she'll use the ECV, I think she'll have a much better time in the end.

I really appreciate the POVs. She's 1 and 2 years post surgery so she's about as good as she's gonna get. We're definitely going, everything is booked and it's only a couple weeks out at this point. I would like for her to use the ECV where she can so she doesn't fatigue her knees quite as much and might have a little left in her to do things like Splash and Pirates.

I checked out the Pammie's Plus and indeed it's all WDW, but still helpful.

Response related to Disneyland as in the post title.

I travel with my Mom to Disneyland a lot (WDW too but not as much). She had 1 knee replaced in late 2017 and need her hip now. For Disneyland, we use a wheelchair (that I am now own) and at WDW an ECV. The cast members are always super helpful. At Disneyland, there are quite a few queues that the ECV cannot go through, and you will be directed to an alternate entrance to either get a return time or right onto the ride if the line is short enough. DCA - the lines are all main streamed so the ECV can go through the whole line. If your friend has a cane, have her bring it as well. CMs will allow use of the handicap lines with just a cane if she wants. The cast members will also ask if she wants to park the ECV (and/or can stand X number of minutes to leave it outside and walk through the handicap line). We usually bring our wheelchair into the lines, but she does walk a few now.

In terms of getting in and out of the ride vehicles, for most, your friend can take all the time she needs. Moving walk ways can be slowed or stopped. Space Mountain, the handicap car is pulled off the track so you can take all the time you need. My Mom's knee does not always flex all the way and she will use her hand to push it a little further if needed. She just takes it slow - I help her. And cast members who should not be during Covid will also often help with a hand or arm to get out (not expected, but can be nice). Your friend should know her limitations too. For my Mom, she can ride the Racers, but we need to sit in the back seat (with her on the left side seat). This makes it much easier for her to get out of the car and we are just happy to ride it knowing we can always make someone happy by giving them the front. In the first 2-3 months after her knee replacement when we back (about 2 months post op was her first visit), we took it very easy and took a very laid back approach to rides and only chose those she could walk pretty much straight on and sit without having to really step up or down. Examples include Soaring, Toy Story, Monsters Inc (from the non-step podium - just have to ask to avoid the step).
This is extremely helpful info. Thanks so much!!! Sounds very similar to my mom and her knee(s).

At Disneyland, let the ride operator know she may need a little extra time getting in and out. There are several attractions where this can be an issue there:
Splash Mountain
Winnie the Pooh
Pinnicio
Snow white
Peter pan
Space Mountain
Buzz
Monsters inc

There may be others, but those come to mind.

Also, use the ADA loading at Grizzly, that way she doesn't have to setup down and up with a moving platform.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter