Beware of shared bus stop signs when leaving parks.

kydisneyfans

<font color=blue>It may be because they are too em
We were hit with the dreaded bus to the wrong resort issue Sunday night.

Stop 7 at AK states both Saratoga and OKW. The bus said "Animal Kingdom" and did not specify. Since the resorts are far away and close to each other, it was safe to assume the bus might hit both resorts. Wrong.

There were 4 families on the bus, once we hit the parkway, the Saratoga Springs jingle started playing, then we drove right past OKW. Upon the first stop at Saratoga, I asked the driver if he was going to OKW also-he laughed and said no. I then asked the best way to get there, he mentioned Congress Park-walk to the boat, transfer boats, then take the OKW boat back. He also said we could ride back to AK and wait for the OKW bus but he thought the boat would be quicker.

At Congress Park, everyone got off. 3 of the 4 families thought it was a bus for both, just like us. About 15 of us walked over to the marketplace stop, took the boat to transfer, and were greeted with an OKW boat line that was over 3 boats deep. Since I had ran the challenge and the legs were stiff, and my wife recently had knee surgery, we wanted no more walking and waited. About 40 minutes later, a saratoga boat captain radioed someone for help since nobody needed the Saratoga boat but the line was into Disney Springs for the OKW boat. He then loaded and went to OKW. A full hour and 45 minutes later, we were back at our room after leaving AK.

Now I fully understand why folks rent cars.

Sorry to hear you ran into that trouble. That's super annoying!

This is why I always ask if the bus is going to X at shared stops. Better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah, that stop is nutty!!! I have no idea why they did it that way! Best thing is to ask the driver prior to boarding.

Driver should've offered to drop you off at OKW when you told him the marquee was wrong, at least at Hospitality House if he couldn't do the entire resort.

We were hit with the dreaded bus to the wrong resort issue Sunday night.

Stop 7 at AK states both Saratoga and OKW. The bus said "Animal Kingdom" and did not specify. Since the resorts are far away and close to each other, it was safe to assume the bus might hit both resorts. Wrong.

There were 4 families on the bus, once we hit the parkway, the Saratoga Springs jingle started playing, then we drove right past OKW. Upon the first stop at Saratoga, I asked the driver if he was going to OKW also-he laughed and said no. I then asked the best way to get there, he mentioned Congress Park-walk to the boat, transfer boats, then take the OKW boat back. He also said we could ride back to AK and wait for the OKW bus but he thought the boat would be quicker.

At Congress Park, everyone got off. 3 of the 4 families thought it was a bus for both, just like us. About 15 of us walked over to the marketplace stop, took the boat to transfer, and were greeted with an OKW boat line that was over 3 boats deep. Since I had ran the challenge and the legs were stiff, and my wife recently had knee surgery, we wanted no more walking and waited. About 40 minutes later, a saratoga boat captain radioed someone for help since nobody needed the Saratoga boat but the line was into Disney Springs for the OKW boat. He then loaded and went to OKW. A full hour and 45 minutes later, we were back at our room after leaving AK.

Now I fully understand why folks rent cars.
I am trying to understand why you would get on a bus not knowing where it was going? IT said animal Kingdom I wouldn't assume anything I would ask, this is on you not Disney. I never rent a car and I have never gotten on a bus that I didn't know was going where I wanted to go. Renting a car isn't the solution personal responsibility is.

I am trying to understand why you would get on a bus not knowing where it was going? IT said animal Kingdom I wouldn't assume anything I would ask, this is on you not Disney. I never rent a car and I have never gotten on a bus that I didn't know was going where I wanted to go. Renting a car isn't the solution personal responsibility is.
The SSR/OKW bus stop at AK is very peculiar. There is a sign board, right at the stop, that states it is the stop for OKW and SSR. So, I'm pretty sure that many guests will assume that if they get on the bus there, it will then go to both resorts. Now, those of us that are familiar with these two resorts, are going to be pretty sure that no bus is going to service both these resorts! That would be about 10 stops!!!! I have stood at the stop, wondering what Disney is thinking by doing it this way. And with some buses arriving with the AK on their signs, people just assume it's their bus, and get on. For any stop that's combined, and it doesn't happen often, it's best to ask the driver before boarding the bus.

I accept the responsibility by not asking the driver, the warning is for others being thrown off by the sign as 3 of the 4 families on the bus thought the same as we did.

I have seen this situation before, where the driver hasn't changed his sign as he pulls into the bay at the park. OP was at Animal Kingdom, the bus was coming into Animal Kingdom. It is quite possible the driver changed his sign to read SSR after guests boarded. He really should have verified that everyone wanted SSR, especially at this confusing shared stop. When I run into this situation, I do ask the driver as I am boarding. He/she probably is thinking, Duh! But at least I know I am getting on the right bus!

I accept the responsibility by not asking the driver, the warning is for others being thrown off by the sign as 3 of the 4 families on the bus thought the same as we did.
OP did you email Disney about the confusion? They need to be made aware. I would have thought same thing you did.
POR and POFQ sometimes share the same bus.The sign is the same type POFQ/POR.
If that is not the case the driver should say something as people are coming in and before leaving.

Last edited:
The SSR/OKW bus stop at AK is very peculiar. There is a sign board, right at the stop, that states it is the stop for OKW and SSR. So, I'm pretty sure that many guests will assume that if they get on the bus there, it will then go to both resorts. Now, those of us that are familiar with these two resorts, are going to be pretty sure that no bus is going to service both these resorts! That would be about 10 stops!!!! I have stood at the stop, wondering what Disney is thinking by doing it this way. And with some buses arriving with the AK on their signs, people just assume it's their bus, and get on. For any stop that's combined, and it doesn't happen often, it's best to ask the driver before boarding the bus.
Well I guess it is a good thing I don't assume anything getting on a bus that said animal kingdom is beyond silly I don't really see where what the bus stop sign said since the bus didn't say either destination. I stand by what I posted, this is all on the op not Disney

Plus he was posting tjis as a PSA so others don't make the same mistake. He wasn't saying that Disney made a mistake - he said "beware" so other Disers don't do what he did.

I agree - the bus drivers should know this happens and be trained to warn ppl when they get on the bus. Disney is so overwhelming that it would be just that extra level of customer service to help guests get ro where they want to go with the minimum level of confusion.

Well I guess it is a good thing I don't assume anything getting on a bus that said animal kingdom is beyond silly I don't really see where what the bus stop sign said since the bus didn't say either destination. I stand by what I posted, this is all on the op not Disney

Excuse me, but this sentence is incomprehensible. Are you saying that a bus arriving at any park with that park's name on the marquée should be considered to be going nowhere? Are you also saying that a Cast Member's neglect in taking a particular action is the responsibility of the guest?

Why?

Buses bringing guests to a park and then going out of service might discharge at any of the platforms. So the best defense for the rider on the ground is to ask the driver even if the platform is not shared by more than one resort.

Once (in Boston) I saw a bus pull up to a non-shared numbered platform, load up, and begin its route still with "Out Of Service" on its marquee. Something like this hurts riders waiting at intermediate stops because those riders don't use the appropriate body language to get the bus to stop so they, too, could ask the driver if that is the bus they really wanted.

OP here.

As a manager, one thing I have learned is that if one person makes a mistake, chances are others are going to do the same.
The point of the thread is nothing more than advice to others that signs need to be watched, specifically at that particular stop. Out of 4 families on the bus, 3 ended up at the incorrect resort by what many would consider confusing signage. Once the mistake was realized, we found the way back to our resort. Absolutely, we should have asked the driver exactly where he was going since he was in a spot where it could be to more than 1 place.

If this post helps another family not make the same error that we did, then it served the purpose.

Buses bringing guests to a park and then going out of service might discharge at any of the platforms. So the best defense for the rider on the ground is to ask the driver even if the platform is not shared by more than one resort.
Being nitpickety: a bus going out of service would not accept boarding passengers.

Expecting Guests to outthink Disney when Disney fouls up is unrealistic.

I maintain that since it was a failure of either the cm or the equipment (in not updating the marquee) that caused the inconvenience, the driver should have gone above & beyond to get the Guests where they were going. Unfortunately (seemingly a favorite word of Disney in dealing with Guests these days), that attitude is not shared by all cm's & Disney managers.

Many buses arrive at the park bus stop with the park name still showing on the front of the bus. Happens all the time. I've even had buses show up at a bus stop with an entirely different resort name on it! Not sure why that happened. But, in any case...if a bus pulls up to the SSR/OKW bus stop at AK, and the bus signage says AK, it's a good idea to ask the driver which resort the bus will be going to. No harm, no foul. They forget sometimes..and that park signage stays up. Just ask.
But, here's a concept...maybe Disney should find a different slot for one of those resorts! It makes absolutely no sense to have them together, sharing a space. Way too confusing.

Many buses arrive at the park bus stop with the park name still showing on the front of the bus. Happens all the time. I've even had buses show up at a bus stop with an entirely different resort name on it! Not sure why that happened. But, in any case...if a bus pulls up to the SSR/OKW bus stop at AK, and the bus signage says AK, it's a good idea to ask the driver which resort the bus will be going to. No harm, no foul. They forget sometimes..and that park signage stays up. Just ask.
But, here's a concept...maybe Disney should find a different slot for one of those resorts! It makes absolutely no sense to have them together, sharing a space. Way too confusing.
I suspect that they combined them to make space for the DS bus. But I saw a blog that said it looks like more bus stops under construction at AK, opposite stops 1-5.

Being nitpickety: a bus going out of service would not accept boarding passengers.

Expecting Guests to outthink Disney when Disney fouls up is unrealistic.

I maintain that since it was a failure of either the cm or the equipment (in not updating the marquee) that caused the inconvenience, the driver should have gone above & beyond to get the Guests where they were going.
Unfortunately (seemingly a favorite word of Disney in dealing with Guests these days), that attitude is not shared by all cm's & Disney managers.

It occurred to me earlier today that I had almost the same experience as the OP. Not even going to blame a CM or equipment. Late one night, I boarded the bus at the combined stop without looking at the marquee or thinking to question the actual destination. Just like the OP, it was the SET bus when I was going to OKW. Where my experience differs is, I had an ECV and we were already underway when I realized my mistake.

The driver took me to OKW, eventually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter