Better late than never - a trip from April 2013 with 2 AARP members and 1 almost

nwcutie

Earning My Ears
INTROS:

Welcome to our late trip report. We had 3 adults visiting Disney World from Saturday, April 13th until Saturday, April 20th, 2013. I had been to WDW one time, but the others had not.

Who are we?

My name is Marci, and I am a junior high school science teacher in the northwest. This tells you multiple things. I am used to sucky weather and I have a high tolerance for goofy/ridiculous behavior. I plan, yet I am able to punt when the plan goes out the window. I was celebrating my upcoming 50th.

My husband is my bestest friend. We have known each other since we were babies because our folks were friends, but we did not start dating until 2007 and we married in 2011. Foolish, I know. Each of us was married twice before and we both wonder why….did we not do this sooner? On the bright side, we get along with the exes so everyone is cool there. Dave just turned 50.

My mom who is my second bestest friend. She and my stepdad had their retirement trip all planned out and it included WDW. He ended up contracting swine flu and dying during the second week of their trip. We waited a few years before bringing it up to her and she was ready to have fun and not be too sad that Jim wasn’t with her.

She is adventurous and fun.

I had gone with my kids in 2009 and had a great time so of course I wanted to share this with my two favorite people (besides the kids). I was a DL vet, but a WDW newbie. Luckily, I got about the best TA at AAA Tacoma for help. She talked to me and the boys, found out what we wanted, and then set it up and stayed in budget (barely) I had enough left over for two beers per night plus a tip after the kids went to bed.

The kids and I had stayed at POR and had the DxDP and our TA made our ADRs and it was absolutely wonderful. I knew how to use FP from DL (the kids call me the FP queen - I was never without at least one set in reserve although I didn't know about hoarding them - we always used them during the 1 hour window) Since I had such a great trip with the boys, I had to do it again without them.

For the adult trip, we looked at how much the deluxe dining plan would cost three adults and we made that our food budget. We love to party so we bought a TIW card to get a discount on our alcohol. Of course, that meant I had to get an AP and go again (hehe) Basically, our tips were free....right?

Then it was all about where to stay. We looked at the prices of staying at the mod in two rooms, a two bed villa, two one bedrooms and two studios. We still act like newlyweds and we wanted two separate units :blush: so we ended up with two studios at the BCV for less than two rooms at POR. Cool!

So now we had a place and a plan, when would we go? My spring break since I am a teacher and am really limited as to when I can take off. NO ONE wanted to come in the summer and christmas time is for the kids, so spring break was the time.

to be continued....

Friday, 4/12/13:

Left our house at 5:45 pm, it was raining, ugly weather. We got to the airport, checked our bags, got through security, and were sitting at Anthony’s by 7:15. Hooray!

Dave and I had Fremont IPA and mom had a glass of Fume Blanc. Dave and I had the Baker’s Bowl of clam chowder and the Caesar Salad (Dave added crabmeat) and Mom had the fish and chips. It was good! Our waiter, Jamal, was a delight. Then we switched to Merlot.

A gal from our school district bowling league was on our flight. Small world! Flight was fine: we sat in 18 D.E,F. Mom at the window, me in the middle, Dave on the aisle. There were some crying babies, but it was okay. After getting up at 4:30 am and working all day, Dave and I were beat. We all dozed and got into Orlando at 6:15 am Saturday.

Saturday, 4/13/13:

We got our bags and went to ground transportation. Oops! We went to the A side and Magical Express is on the B side. Up to floor 3 and across the airport. Finally found Magical Express, there was no line at the counter and only 5 people in line for the bus ahead of us. Score! They got off at Port Orleans Riverside and we went on to the Beach Club.

Because we took the redeye in, there was no waiting to check in. Yeah!!! The downside is that we were tired & disheveled and groggy. Tracie checked us in and she was a fun character with tons of personality. She asked if we wanted 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 5th floor – we said our only request was to have our rooms close together. Our rooms weren’t ready so we checked the luggage with Bell Services and we wandered.

We walked around the Boardwalk and got some coffee. We definitely could have used a Starbucks! Hey, what can I say? Some folks think Starbucks is the devil, but we think it is awesome. I can say it was difficult to find real coffee. We hiked darned near around the entire Boardwalk looking for a good cup of coffee and not the Nescafe cr*p. Yikes!

Wandering around the boardwalk looking for our lost cup of good coffee, hot and humid- what is with all these clouds?

When we came back, we got the tickets at concierge.

We were kind of hot and sweaty after our walk so we got our carryons (Tom helped us at Bell Services and he was sweet and funny) and headed to the fitness center to change and freshen up. It was totally obvious why we were there because the minute we opened the door, the gal at the desk directed us to the locker rooms. She KNEW we did not want to work out. We looked like we already had. LOL, cold rainy weather in Seattle vs hot humid weather in Orlando. It was quite a bit above the average for the area, but mostly we liked it.

Next, we headed to Epcot to trade in the voucher for the Photopass + card. OMG! It was crowded! (It was a non recommended day on the other website.) We went in through the International Gateway, but we had to go to the front of the park to get our card. Ugh! On the way back we decided to get our first beer so we stopped in the Rose and Crown Pub. What a cluster! People were just pushing their way past us to the bar and waving money...it was rude and that is not how we roll – we got disgusted and left. Uh oh, was this trip going to turn our not so good??? Mom and Dave were looking at me like I failed. Hey, this isn't a park day, we are only getting the PP+ card!

We were now hungry so we headed over to Big River Grill and Brewing Co. We sat outside and had the Steamboat Pale Ale and mom had a glass of pinot grigio. Jack (I believe) was our waiter and he was fabulous. He gave us a handful of their coasters for our home bar/man cave. Dave had the Chicken Cashew Salad, I had a BBQ bacon cheeseburger, and mom had the hot artichoke and crab dip with crostinis. It was great!! All was well with the world again. We were fed and watered.

Yeah! Our rooms were ready, finally. We went up and checked them out. Mom is in room 350 and we are in room 343. She has a view of the trees with a road behind them and we have a woods view. Score! I figured we would have a view of a parking lot or rooftop. Life is good. Bell services brought our suitcases and we could unpack.

We actually unpacked after our nap. We get up during the week at 4:30 am for work and both my husband and I worked Friday before heading to the airport. We had only dozed on the plane so we had been mostly up for almost 36 hours. After our naps, we unpacked and then got mom. We walked around stormalong bay and then decided to have a drink.

First, Crew Cup Lounge. Mom and I had pinot grigio and Dave had the Pimm’s Punch. He thought it was so good, he had two. Our server wasn’t bad, but she was inattentive – spent more time flirting with some guy than waiting on her customers, so we wandered some more. We ended up at the Ale and Compass. Yvette was our bartender and she was awesome! She was only covering the bar and wasn’t familiar with it’s layout, but she was a hoot! Dave ordered a Pimm’s Punch and she had to hunt for the ingredients, the recipe, and all. She made it so much fun that the next thing you know, we were so sad to see the person she was covering return.

Next was our dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. We had to wait for our 7:40 reservation a little bit, but it wasn’t too bad, and we got to people watch. We were seated in the center of the cupola (?) area and Oscar was our waiter. He was amazing! Attentive, flattering, knowledgable…. I can not say enough good things about him. Mom and I split the filet mignon and ordered a side of the truffle macaroni and cheese. Dave had the 16 oz ribeye with marrow and carmelized onion. When they brought the plate, Oscar told him to spread the grilled marrow across the face of the steak. WOW! All of our dinners were fabulous! We had two bottles of pinot noir too. We were stuffed, but they brought us a dessert sampler with about 5 bites that we shared. Perfect! Plus we each had a keepsake, personalized menu that Oscar and I wrapped with ribbon.

You KNOW its gonna be good

This is my plate (my mom's was identical)

Dave's plate

The wonderful truffle mac and cheese side

Oscar helping me with our souvenir menu

Feeling full and happy, we walked around the Boardwalk and stopped at Hurricane Hannah’s for a nightcap, but they closed at 9:00 and we arrived at 9:03 so they couldn’t serve us. Oh well, next time. We went to the marketplace and got some bagels, cream cheese, a bottle of water, and a bottle of wine. $35!! EEK!! (hair raised!) Then we headed back, had a glass of wine and crashed. What a great day.

This was our first real day at the parks. We headed out the door at 8:05 am. There was only a short wait for the friendship boat – cool! When we docked at Hollywood Studios at 8:40, the gates were open. Bad Dissers - we were not there for rope drop!We breezed through the bag check and the gate and were headed toward Toy Story Midway Mania at 8:45 am!

We fast passed TSMM (10:10 return) then rode it. We had a blast. Mom got 42,000, I had 99,300 and Dave ruled with 121,000. Fun, fun, fun. Then over to Sunset Blvd. we went. We rode Rock n Roller Coaster (walked right into the studio) and it was awesome! We all loved it!

Next we went to Tower of Terror. We had about a 15 or 20 minute wait. I loved it, but my mom and Dave were kind of meh about it.

We pulled RNR fastpasses (11:00 to 12:00 return) and then headed back to TSMM. This time we improved – Dave had 156,000 and I had 128,000. My accuracy was way better than his though. Typical guy, shoot ‘em all over the place heehee.

Then back over to RNR for our fast pass ride. There was a bit of conversation about crisscrossing the park so much, but we are in good shape so it was fun. We debated where we wanted to get our next fast pass and we decided on TSMM so we pulled it at 11:12 for a 4:55 to 5:55 return.

We wandered the streets of America and took some pictures.

We then went on Star Tours. It was really fun! Mom and Dave both enjoyed it.

So, it is around noon and we have gone on TSMM twice, RNR twice, TOT once, ST once, and wandered around having fun. Plus we still have FP in hand.

We were hot so we stopped and had a beer and got in line at 12:00 for the 12:30 Indiana Jones show. We were at the front of the line and so we sat in the front row next to the sound and lighting crew. They picked Dave as an extra!!!! Hooray. It was aDD gas and so unexpected. Just a big sprinkling of pixie dust!

The audience volunteers

Dave, showing us his acting chops. Look like you are having fun...

Scared...

Confused...

His "coach stance"...

interested in the action, he forgot his role (teehee)

After the show, Dave ran over and got fast passes for RNR (return time 3:15 to 4:15) and we checked in for our 1:30 reservation at 50’s Prime Time Café.

We checked in and bellied up to the Tune In Lounge – had a couple of margaritas while mom checked out the décor and exclaimed about the things she had as a kid growing up. When we were being seated, I told our “cousin” that I wanted the full treatment for the family – they had never been before, but they are great sports. We got cousin Tara. She had us set the table, she sat down and critiqued “mom’s” cooking, and chatted about where she was from. She always stayed in character and was awesome! Mom and I split the sampler and got green beans and corn. Dave had the meatloaf. Our meatloaf was good – a little spicy, which is how I like it. The pot roast was so moist and tender, I could not believe it, and the chicken, well, the chicken was very good, but my grandma made the best buttermilk fried chicken and this just couldn’t compare to grandma’s. We were really too full for dessert, but Tara told us to get it, so we shared Dad’s fudge brownie. It came with a candle and a happy birthday. Perfect! I thought I had pics of this meal, but I guess not. It was really good, but honestly, I am a bit bummed they don't have a lunch menu anymore...the all day menu was a bit heavy for me.

After lunch, we went on the Backlot Studio tour – big mistake – boring!!! Plus the wait was understated, so by the time, we were finished our fastpass window for RNR was almost over so we gave them to a dad who had two well behaved kids amongst the meltdowns going on around us. They were surprised and thrilled! That is something I love to do. I always have FP, but if I can't use them, I give them away to someone else!

That done, we headed over to the 4:30 pm Lights Motor Action show. It was awesome and we enjoyed it a bunch! By the time the show was over, we were wiped out. It was super hot and humid and we were ready to go back and take it easy before dinner. We gave our fastpasses to a family who was outside of TSMM looking at the wait time with dismay. They were so jazzed!

Whatchu looking at Willis???

We got to the boat dock just as they told us that the boats were not running due to lightning. I wanted to take the bus, but mom and Dave said, “it’s only about a mile” so we decided to walk. Part way there, it started POURING!!! We got soaked, but oh well – it was a warm rain, lol.

No, you can't ride...we can't go out with stormy weather. Okay, I don't want to end up like Gilligan.

So, we rode TSMM, RNRC, TOT, TSMM, RNRC, ST, Indiana Jones (with hubby in the show), lunch at PTC, Backlot (meh) and LMA (loved it!) plus we gave away FP to RNRC and TSMM. It was a GOOD day.

As we are leaving- looks crowded...

We relaxed and took showers and then headed out around 7:05 for our 8:50 reservation at Narcoossee’s. We took the bus to the Magic Kingdom and then took the monorail to the Grand Floridian. It was cool, but it was so sloooowwww.

By the time we got there, it was 8:35. We checked in and had a cocktail in the bar. They sat us at a 6 top which was nice – we had a bunch of room. Nelson was our waiter and he was very, very nice, but now really well trained. He failed to notice when our drinks were empty and was a bit slow to get our order and our bill at the end. Otherwise, though, he was personable and did a nice job. Mom and I shared the filet and lobster. Now, unlike the Yachtsman the night before, the kitchen did not split and plate our order – they just brought out an extra plate and let us divvy it up ourselves.

Sorry for the blurry photo! Dinner looks small, but as you can tell by looking at me, I NEVER went hungry.

Dave had the NY steak and lobster. Everything tasted marvelous and was cooked perfectly. Another blurry photo, oops!

We went outside to watch the fireworks and it was terrific and brought a tear to my eye. Wow! I love, love, love this!!!

A note: when I used the ladies room, it was filthy and gross!!! I understand that almost all of their staff in the restaurant are men, but come on! I have seen cleaner restrooms at truck stops. There were two stalls and one had the toilet seat up and vomit all over the floor, toilet and walls. The other had toilet paper and feces smeared around. The counters had water and soap splatters and it was simply a terrible way to end a good meal. Ew! The Grand Floridian needs to correct this, stat!

We took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom and then the bus back home without incident. Lots of exhausted, sleeping children. We got in to our room at 11:30 and crashed out full and happy.

So ends our first day in a park. Mom and Dave marveled at my planning. I could not have done it without these boards and easywdw. Thanks!

Monday, 4/15/13:

Made toast for breakfast with the leftover bread from Narcoossee’s. Wow! Yummy! We got to the international gate today at 8:45 and they opened it minutes later.

We really LOVED LOVED LOVED the location of the Beach club.

Dave went and fast-passed Soarin while mom and I strolled to Test Track. There were actually people running to get to Test Track. Come I on people! The rides aren’t going anywhere.

When Dave got there, we rode Test Track. It was pretty fun.

We never did get the hang of looking at the camera for this ride!

Then we went to Sum of All Thrills and built our rollercoasters. Fun, fun, fun. I wish I could have my students experience it so I could say, “THIS is why you should study math and science!” It was TRULY amazing!

We headed over to Soarin and mom and Dave thought it was so cool, we got another set of fast passes for it. We waited til we got off to get them so it would be after lunch (1:55 to 2:55.) It was really crowded and noisy in the land and Dave was irritable, so we went outside to get away from it. Dave headed off to do his own thing and mom and I did the Behind the Seeds Tour. It was so interesting. We both really enjoyed it.

I started growing my fruits and veggies organically after my middle son was diagnosed with testicular cancer 3 days before his 19th birthday. It was such a wake up call! So....this tour totally interested me and I was ready to steal/borrow ideas that might work for me.

Loved the towers - grow more vertically, use less water, get higher yield in less space.

Natural pest control - mom seeding plants with ladybug beetles'

The food grower in me lusts after this - I don't like to grow anything I can't eat (I'm not a skinny girl, lol). My hubby loves flowers, but I don't waste my time on them unless they are edible.

More to follow

I just love me some cucumbers! Fresh for salads and dill pickles, OMG - YUM!

Peppers!!!!!!!! I really love the vertical systems.

My favorite, tomatoes. Ingenious, how they grow them. Wait...did I just do a yoda???? :yoda:

At the Mickey HOPS. My husband wants to start brewing his own beer so I told him to make the support and I will grow the hops for him. :drinking1

We finished at 12:30 and made our way over to Mexico to find Dave.

We had a lovely leisurely lunch and did not finish until about 2:30 Dave had the Tacos de Carne, I had the Enchiladas de Pollo, and mom had the Tostadas appetizer. We tried the passionfruit margarita, the avocado margarita, the blood orange margarita, and the classic margarita. They were all yummy and our waitress, Sherai was very good.

Sorry for the dark, blurry pics. We had an epic pic fail. I am so ashamed.

Only one margarita pic and its blurry too!!!

After lunch, we took the Gran Fiesta boat ride and it was sweet and made us think of the cartoons we watched years ago.

Then we walked to Mission Space and did the Orange side (I know, not too smart right after lunch!) But we were fine.

We had to hightail it to Soarin for our next ride, but we arrived at 2:57 and the CM was fine with that. Yep, still loved it after the second time.

So far, Test track, Soaring, Sum of all thrills, Behind the Seeds tour, lunch (yum), Gran fiesta, Mission Space, Soaring by about 3:15 pm. Not bad.

Next up, time to make a poor choice, lol

Following along...:goodvibes

Thank you. I am grateful that someone is, LOL.

I hope you enjoy this trip report. I have so enjoyed many of the ones on the boards. They inspire me.

Following :wave2:

Hi!

Sorry for the lack of replies and delays. My computer crashed and I have been sneaking on at work or on my friends' computers. Yikes! I got my old "puter" fixed with the help of a good friend and a $40. disk I could buy online (using someone else's computer - there is irony there somewhere!)

I hope you are still caring if I continue. This is a fun way to relive the trip.

This is teacher talk for "wanna party like fools when we shouldn't?"

• We headed back to the world showcase and it was hot, hot, hot so we stopped and had a Bass ale in UK. We sat in the little area next to Rose and Crown. Dave wanted to drink around the world.

It turned out that while we did the Behind the Seeds tour, he had a Carlsberg in Norway :drinking1 and rode Maelstrom and the Octoberfest beer :drinking1 in Germany in addition to two margaritas :drinking1 :drinking1 and a shot of Corazon:drinking1 in Mexico. Gah!!!

Mom decided to go back to the Beach Club and relax. I almost did, but I told Dave I would accompany him around the world. It was super hot so we had the grey goose slushies in France while we watched the act with the chairs

. They were so funny. I didn’t pay attention and ended up with a brain freeze which, of course, amused Dave. 5 countries down.

• We had the tangerine dacquiri and the strawberry dacquiri in Morocco. The guy working poured with a pretty heavy hand so you had to really stir it up. I didn’t stir it up well enough the first drink and I guess I made a pretty funny face, because Dave was cracking up. We wandered around and looked at all the fascinating stuff. A photopass photographer got a picture of me trying on the beaded headpiece. I hope it came out okay. I really liked Morocco.

Schwetty Betty!

Next up was Japan. We watched the drummers and they were really good, but looked hot, hot, hot! We did not know what to order so Dave got the plum wine. Ew! I had one sip. He didn’t like it either, so he shot it like tequila, haha.

We went on to the U.S. pavilion next and I wanted my own beer, so it was Sam Adams seasonal beer and a jalapeno cream cheese pretzel for us in the American Adventure. We got a picture from the photopass photographer. 8 countries down.

• By this time, around 5:30, the showcase was pretty empty. Although it was still rather hot, Italy was lovely and shaded with plenty of seating this time of day and a slight breeze off the lagoon. We got some wine there (forgot what kind, but it was semi-dry and not too sweet – white for me, red for the hubs) and chatted with a fun retired couple. They were from the northwoods of Wisconsin and snow bird down here. When I told them I had family in Minocqua, it set us off. We talked about summer lightning storms and mosquitos that can carry off small animals. It was fun.

Then on to China. It was hot there and not very much shade! We saw a photopass photographer and had our pictures taken (not sure how they will turn out as Dave was a bit “happy”) and then we got a tropical storm to share at the kiosk. There was no line at all and the girls that worked there looked positively bored. They poured strong! Wow!!!

Then around the showcase to our last stop, Canada. We got a Moosehead Light to share. Funny moment, while waiting for Dave, I overheard two young couples debating what to get and I asked if they were going to drink around the world. They said yes, and I told them my husband was just finishing. They saw he was still standing and they said, “let’s do it!”. We hotfooted it to the dock at the Yacht Club for our fireworks cruise.

We had Captain Amy. It was wonderful, but only an hour and a half. I loved the viewing of Illuminations and it made much more sense with Amy explaining what it represents. I’m glad we did it, but I don’t think I would spend the money on it again. Our captain was so friendly and helpful and it made for a wonderful end to the evening. We returned around 9:30 and crashed out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter