Better discounts?

Lulubelle17

Mouseketeer
Just wondering, and at this point I know it's pure speculation? What should we expect as far as special offers or discounts to encourage people to cruise again? Do you think we will see more discounts in the future? I have my heart set on a few European cruises for 2022, but they are so expensive! I will probably bite the bullet and go anyway, but I would certainly be enticed if there were more discounts offered. What does everyone think?

Just wondering, and at this point I know it's pure speculation? What should we expect as far as special offers or discounts to encourage people to cruise again? Do you think we will see more discounts in the future? I have my heart set on a few European cruises for 2022, but they are so expensive! I will probably bite the bullet and go anyway, but I would certainly be enticed if there were more discounts offered. What does everyone think?
I'm not sure there's going to be a lot of discounting happening once cruising resumes. There are people chomping at the bit to get on a cruise. I don't think they'll have problems filling ships, especially if there are still occupancy restrictions.

I do think DCL will drop a few more *GT rate discounts in the first half of 2021 before a vaccine is widely available (if DCL even sails then)--just as they have been discounting WDW hotel stays. By summer 2022 (i.e., the Europe cruises you are looking at), the vaccine should be pretty much everywhere and people will be vacationing galore to make up for the "lost year" due to Covid. I expect rates and discounts (that is, the lack of discounts as to DCL) to be same as they always were.

If you want a discount on a European cruise, aim for 2021. The whole world will be on the road in 2022!

Way to burst my bubble!! LOL! I wish we could take one in summer of 21 but unfortunately we will be moving and will have to wait one more year. We are seriously in withdrawal!!!

I think we'll see a lot of discounted cruises once cruising resumes. Once all of the onboard changes are implemented, I believe a lot of people won't be willing to pay the full DCL price for a reduced experience. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people cash in their FCCs for refunds.

My thoughts, and by no means anything with merit, is that if ships are sailing half full by cruise line choice you will not get discounts. If the lines decide to sail with full ships you may indeed see discounts. Maybe a kids sail free or more military rates, maybe more Florida resident rates.
I know people on these boards are chomping at the bit to get back on a ship but we are a minority. I have yet to talk to any of my cruiser friends who are excited to go back, they seem to have a wait and see attitude. Maybe once the sailings start and it's all good things will change but right now I just don't know. They may (or may not) have to discount to break even for a while.
Time will tell.

I think we'll see a lot of discounted cruises once cruising resumes. Once all of the onboard changes are implemented, I believe a lot of people won't be willing to pay the full DCL price for a reduced experience. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people cash in their FCCs for refunds.

How any people have 125% credits though? Also with changes how limited with the ships be in terms of capacity? Finally will ships even be able to turn over as quickly or will they be forced to have 1-2 days in between either required by law or required to make sure cleaning and testing of the crewe is done.

I am pretty sure if you read the fine print on any communication from DCL about cancellation and FCC's that refunds can only be gotten for monies paid not for FCC balances, those will just go away if you don't book a cruise, DCL isn't going to give you free money if you don't take a cruise with them. I'd pretty much guarantee it!

I bet you'll find more discounts on cruise lines with more occupancy than Disney has. filling 22 ships is harder than 4.

I bet you'll find more discounts on cruise lines with more occupancy than Disney has. filling 22 ships is harder than 4.

This would be my thought too, the bigger cruise lines I would think are more apt to offer some discounts maybe especially in the Caribbean/Bahamas. But I am not sure Disney and discount really go together in a sentence ;)

This would be my thought too, the bigger cruise lines I would think are more apt to offer some discounts maybe especially in the Caribbean/Bahamas. But I am not sure Disney and discount really go together in a sentence ;)

Possibly, but the other cruise lines are trimming back their ships and itineraries considerably to start, so it may be closer than you’d think.

The no more gift card policy to pay fare also makes it more difficult to discount the cruise cost as well. 5% target red card was the easiest of course.
What's this? Can you no longer pay your cruise with GC's?

ETA--just went to their online chat and yes you can still pay with GC's. At least according to Rocco, lol.

Last edited:

ETA--just went to their online chat and yes you can still pay with GC's. At least according to Rocco, lol.

I went and verified too, it seems the person I heard it from was confused, as it was related to the gift card website and not the availability to charge to a cruise fare. I will delete parts of my original post!

Whew! I was scared for a minute. I have over $5000 in gift cards from cancelling our cruise on the Dream over Christmas. We decided to wait until we feel comfortable and book something pretty last minute. We never saw Covid coming and didn't see any reason not to work the discounted gift cards...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter