Best/worst resorts for wheelchair?

wonderchica

Mouseketeer
I’m in the very early stages of helping a friend plan a trip with her preteen child who uses a power wheelchair (CP). Any particular resorts you would recommend or not recommend? Transportation types to avoid? I know everything should be ADA compliant but real-life opinions might help narrow things down! Or is everything pretty reasonable to navigate?

Last edited:
I personally like OKW because I know the coach style buses can't make the turns around the resort, so all buses will be fully accessible. Just make sure to request ground floor or building with an elevator and make sure it is noted as needed for medical reasons. Even better is to book a mobility accessible room, then you know you won't have stairs to deal with.

It might be helpful to know what category of resort your friend is goin to stay at. I will stick with deluxe resorts and a couple of moderates. My family returned from our first stay at BC. I recommend it, especially if you requested a ground floor room (although there are multiple elevators). First, BC is a bit smaller than its sister resort YC and the BC Villas are in a separate building. There are access points to a walking path to EPCOT and HS so you can avoid bus transportation to and from both parks. You can also access both EP and HS using the skyliner which is a short walk away from the BC.

Also, the Marketplace is a smaller gift shop and CS restaurant, but it is an easily navigable space for wheelchairs. I have to say that WDW has impressed me very much with its DAS and accommodations for people with disabilities. Most of the areas seem to be wheelchair friendly. I actually had to help a family looking to go into Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse at MK, and inform them that there is no way their disabled (wheelchair) group member could attend. Too many steps and too narrow. But outside of that I'm not sure there were resorts, transportation or attractions that were off-limits.

Maybe check out BC and see if its right for them?

I forgot, POFQ seemed okay for wheelchair accessibility, but it is closed right now. I would definitely recommend avoiding FW cabins and campgrounds. I don't see that area as very wheelchair friendly based upon my personal observations that the physical layout is huge. I mean enormous. My understanding is that FW is over 600 acres. CBR, where I have never stayed but have visited, is a large resort and is about 200 acres. So, FW is around 3 times the size of a sister-moderate and quite large resort. I would recommend avoiding FW for wheelchair persons simply based upon its sheer, enormous size.

I use a scooter and have spent numerous stays at POP, port Orleans French Quarter (currently closed). I have never had any trouble getting in or out of the rooms. Pop offers the skyliner to and from Epcot and HS. There are handicap cars that are pulled off the main lines, completely stopped and you and family just enter (chairperson and chai as well as five others). Buses at Pop can take two mobility devices, per bus. The back door opens and a ramp drops, chair person rides up ramp.

When travelling using other Disney transportation. The monorail has handicap ramp and has handicap cars. Cast members line the ramp and person drives on. Boats you enter, no ramps but captain lowers doorway (with his foot).

I have never experienced a problem. If you think they would benefit from a handicap accessible room. They are a separate booking category. (lower beds, railings around toilet, shower, etc).

Please give them this number. It is Disney Disability Serviced and they will answer all questions or address any concerns. 407-560-2547.

I liked POP as well. Except for the room door (and I’m not sure if there are better room doors anywhere) I don’t recall having public areas with difficult doors like I’ve encountered elsewhere.

(POFQ was mostly good, but if they’re closed right now that’s not much help.)

I’m in the very early stages of helping a friend plan a trip with her preteen child who uses a power wheelchair (CP). Any particular resorts you would recommend or not recommend? Transportation types to avoid? I know everything should be ADA compliant but real-life opinions might help narrow things down! Or is everything pretty reasonable to navigate?

I forgot, POFQ seemed okay for wheelchair accessibility, but it is closed right now. I would definitely recommend avoiding FW cabins and campgrounds. I don't see that area as very wheelchair friendly based upon my personal observations that the physical layout is huge. I mean enormous. My understanding is that FW is over 600 acres. CBR, where I have never stayed but have visited, is a large resort and is about 200 acres. So, FW is around 3 times the size of a sister-moderate and quite large resort. I would recommend avoiding FW for wheelchair persons simply based upon its sheer, enormous size.

I use a personal mobility device, and have many happy stays at FW Cabins. There are HA cabins with ramps, and roll-in showers; otherwise they are nearly identical to the "regular" cabins, with a bed + bunks in the bedroom, and a pull-out sofa in the living room. We love the full-size kitchen, and all the extra space you get. For the money, you almost can't beat it per square foot at WDW.

The two potential down sides are that you will wind up transferring from the "internal loop" bus to the "external Resort system" buses at the depot; additionally, the food service at that Resort requires a bus ride to get there and back; it's really not "walkable" at all, simply due to the placement of those HA cabins.

But, if you love true Disney theming at your Resort, you love the fresh air and friendly neighbors (every night, our neighbors on their porches would wave and holler "Hi!" as we came back from our Disney Day!) and you love seeing deer graze as you eat breakfast on the deck, or watching fireflies flicker through the trees at dusk... Well, FW Cabins might be for you.

What is a pain in the rear for some folks is no big deal for others.

Having said that, personally I believe the POFQ is one of the "friendliest" Resorts at WDW, if for no other reason than it is the most compact. It's not open yet, and no opening date has been announced (although there are starting to be hints and rumors about a date for both POR & POFQ - fingers crossed!)

I love love love WL; for me, it is my personal favorite Deluxe, followed closely by Poly. WL has one (technically 2) issues and they are both long ramps. One that goes down to the buses from outside the shop, just off the lobby, and the other off another corner of the lobby that goes down to the QS, Roaring Fork. They are OK going down - you do have to manage your speed, of course, but coming back up can tax the batteries at the end of a long day. Otherwise, I love WL, and when I need a "happy place" I close my eyes, and pretend I am sitting in one of the rockers in front of the giant fireplace in the lobby on a crisp January evening...

Really, I don't know if you can go wrong at WDW with a Resort.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

There's plenty of room in every Disney Resort hotel room to charge *2* rental scooters, but if you need furniture moved or removed to accommodate the device, pick up your room phone, and use the button labeled "Housekeeping". The person answering the phone will help set up either the removal or placement of furniture for you.

When it comes to Resort hotel room doors, someone in your travel party can hold the Resort Hotel room door open while they drive through. A great door stop (I personally recommend this one from Amazon) is also a very helpful tool! While out and about at WDW, look for the handicapped door buttons on many doors (at lobby entrances, shops, dining, etc.) for the automatic openers. Some are round, others are square, most all of them are a silver metal, but they all have the HA ♿ symbol on the button itself, and will be located very near the door.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

When it comes to Disney Transportation, here's some information - please note that this was written for the *driver* of a personal mobility device, but feel free to relay it to your friend and/or their preteen

At the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle HA symbol ♿ at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus, or shake my head "no" so that they know I am waiting for a different bus. Some Disney Resorts have queues or rope lines set up for the buses; others just kind of form loose lines. Often in the mornings, there will be a CM at the main Resort bus stops; just as at the Parks, take your guidance from them. (Special note for Resorts with more than 1 bus stop: Try to make your way to the *first* stop at the Resort; as the bus travels through the Resort to pick up other Guests, the chances increase exponentially that there will not be a space for the mobility device when the bus arrives, leading to longer wait times.)

Once the bus stops, and everyone is off, the driver will typically close all the doors, kneel the bus, and then open the back doors and flip out the ramp. Wait for the driver to motion you on, and then up the ramp you will go.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, you can let them know that you are a newbie to using the bus, and will appreciate all the help and guidance that they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine! Disney bus drivers help *thousands* of people load and unload ECV & wheelchairs, so you are not a surprise to them in any way!

When you are at the base of the ramp, try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to bump into the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the device up into (or back out of) the bus. You will hear stories about drivers that "park the device for you", but that is considered "pixie dust" and is not expected behavior.

Once you are parked, you can transfer to a seat on the bus, if you want to. The bus driver will "tie down" the device by clipping on the tensioned belts down at the wheel level, front and back. If you decide to sit on/in the device during transit, the driver will also offer you a seat belt to help hold you securely in place as the bus moves through traffic.

With buses, you will typically always board first, and disembark last.

While you are boarding the bus, the rest of your group will wait outside the bus, next to the ramp. Once the device is parked on the bus, the driver will indicate to your party when they can walk up the ramp to join you, and they should be able to sit near/next to you.

When it's time to disembark from the bus, the rest of your party can get off the bus with all of the other passengers, and they will wait for you outside the bus (or wherever you have agreed upon). Again, the driver will assist you in getting the device positioned to drive down the ramp, and out of the bus; listen to their instructions, and you should be fine. 🙂 When driving off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are completely on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want the rear wheels to catch the edge of the ramp if you turn too early, and tip you over!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

As far as boats go, *most* boats at WDW are quite accessible; the notable exceptions are some of the small launches that serve Poly/GF to MK and back, and a small launch that runs every other trip on the WL/MK route. At WL, the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board/disembark to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on. All other boats will have a portable ramp that a CM (Cast Member) will place for you, including the Sassagoula fleet (Currently not in service) that serves parts of Saratoga & The Treehouses/OKW/POR & POFQ, and the Disney Springs Water Taxis (which are the same type of boat.) The Friendships that ply the waters between Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at EPCOT use the exact same ramp as well. The ramps are *noisy* when driving on and off, but quite safe, I promise! The main thing to watch for here is using "turtle speed" coming *off* the boat - if there is no fencing around the dock, you don't want to make a BIG "splash" in more ways than one!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Monorails use the same portable ramp for loading/unloading as the boats use, and the worst part is some of the pedestrian ramps going *up* to the Monorail stations may really tax the battery on the device. A CM will place the portable ramp into the Monorail for you - just follow their instructions. Most of the time, you will have to back off down the ramp at the next station. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, (CMs are used to doing this, and will be glad to help you) and take your time for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

The Skyliners are VERY accessible, and the gondola cabins are a direct drive on, no ramp needed. CMs will "chock" the device rear wheels to prevent it from rolling across the cabin while in flight. The user simply rolls straight in and sits between the benches. Follow the signs and CM directions at each Skyliner station to go to the HA loading area - they fully stop the gondolas to load there, and you can take all the time you need for both loading and unloading. The exception is Riviera - they cannot stop the Skyliner there, and so loading/unloading is only done while moving. Only 1 ECV or personal mobility device of any kind per Skyliner Cabin, so be prepared to split up here if you have a larger party, or more than one mobility device in your group; just make plans for where everyone will meet!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed on the throttle control, and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety. They are all experienced in helping Guests with all kinds of personal mobility devices.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

I use a personal mobility device, and have many happy stays at FW Cabins.
This makes me very happy to hear. I wasn't sure about the geographical size of FW vis a vis the use of mobility devices. I should've added that FW cabins are roomy and comfy. I was looking at FW from a property size standpoint and how spaced out everything is from the cabins to the pools to TE restaurant to the boat launch to the bus depot, etc.

My DD has a chronic medical condition and is eligible for DAS but thus far she hasn't had the need for a mobility device at WDW. My DD hasn't gone to WDW often, and maybe in the future we will need to get a scooter as one (of several) of her health conditions is fatigue. Fatigue isn't the reason we cite when requesting a DAS for her, but it would be a reason why we may need to rent her a scooter in the future.

I stayed in a Garden Wing room at Contemporary last week and was not impressed. The quick access to MK was amazing but everything else was lacking IMO. I requested a ground floor room and mentioned via phone call that I'm an (ambulatory) wheelchair user and I still got the 2nd floor. The elevators were very narrow and the first elevator I tried was awkward to get into because it was right near a sliding automatic door so we would block the door when I waited for the elevator. We also found the halls to be narrow. Our room reeked of mold/mildew and set off my allergies. My allergies were so bad every time we went in the room that after a couple days we had to request that they move us to a new resort. In all of my Disney stays I've never encountered anything like that before.

We were moved to Boardwalk and it was SO much easier to navigate and much easier on the allergies. The elevators were significantly wider and hallways were much wider too. We LOVED that we could walk/wheel to 2 parks and easily access a ton of restaurant options. We've also stayed at Beach Club and would recommend that resort too. I think any of the EPCOT area resorts would be a great choice if it's in the budget. Swan/Dolphin are in the same area for a fraction of the price but I've never stayed there so I can't say for sure how the rooms are.

To me, Beach Club has always been good, as is the BCV. Boat transportation to DHS is accessible. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend the Polynesian. That's mainly because all the elevators are the smallest I've ever encountered. Having any family members in with the power wheelchair would be a tight squeeze. Also, getting to restaurants you have to go outside, the areas aren't covered if it rains.

Caribbean Beach Resort would have to be a first floor room, as those buildings don't have elevators (or didn't when we stayed there) but we've found the first floor rooms at WDW to be too musty/moldy for my older daughter. She is very sensitive to mold.

A few things I will note from our experiences.

The Cabins are great, but needing to take a bus to the bus can be a real pain when there are only a couple spots for wheelchairs.
The accessible rooms at Caribbean were tight!
Boardwalk sometimes has ramps and carpeting throughout the hallways which makes the use of a manual wheelchair not so great. Not sure about a power chair.

I personally avoid the resorts with an internal bus system. If you are not at the first stop, you could be delayed by others who got on before you taking the seats you need. Like they would let 4 people onto bus but will send a new bus for you. It greatly delays your trip. Plus a few would make sure my stop was last at night when busses were full to make it so less people could get in the way.

I personally avoid the resorts with an internal bus system. If you are not at the first stop, you could be delayed by others who got on before you taking the seats you need. Like they would let 4 people onto bus but will send a new bus for you. It greatly delays your trip. Plus a few would make sure my stop was last at night when busses were full to make it so less people could get in the way.
There are tricks at each of the resorts with internal shuttles, for example, at OKW, get building 62 if you can, it is right between the first and the last stop, so it gives you a lot of flexibility. Although near the turtle Pond stop wasn't bad either this last trip.

Our 15 year old is in a wheelchair. We have not found any Disney Resort to be difficult to manage as long as we had a roll in shower. They are just different. Our reviews below
Pop- the queen wall bed means significantly more space to maneuver. Lack of zero depth pull entry a challenge

Port orleans FQ- we loved the size of the resort but the rooms were very tight

Animal Kingdom Lodge- more money but great overall experience. Lots of areas to decompress

Fort Wilderness Cabin- this is mixed- we had a golf cart and what it took to transfer our daughter and the wheelchair bordered on hysterical. That being said, the cabin was fabulous. Plenty of room inside and the deck was well designed as well.

Old Key West- everything here works. Plenty of room, easy to manage grounds, easy to manage pool

Art of Animation- much busier/ sensory overload but the suites are super well designed. Being on the lake still gives places to chill.

I have only stayed at DVC deluxe resorts (& one night at an All Stars -which I would not recommend). My preferences are are the resorts that are compact and provide a roof over my head. In other words, I do not love being caught in the rain trying to get to my room. I also pay attention to how smooth the ground is (for me, bumpy = pain)- everyone has different aspects that they care most about when in a wheelchair... these are mine 😉

BLT, VGF, BCV, & AKV: smooth walkways and are either under one roof, or have covered walkways (although that will change with the new VGF building)... these are all my favorites (from a WC perspective & for other reasons too!!), but the ones that are walkable to parks take the top spots bc then I don’t have to depend on buses so much! 😍

RIV: its entrance has pretty cobblestone, and that’s uncomfortable… but the back of the resort is almost entirely smooth, the exterior doors are all WC accessible, and all rooms are within the same building, so I still like it a lot. The rooms are more spacious & there are nice places to “park” -even in studios! The Skyliner is also easily accessible and I enjoy riding it to HS & EP. 🤩

Wilderness Lodge (BRV & CCV): accessible and nice, but there is a large plank walkway in the back of the resort (=bumpy), much like the Boardwalk area around Crescent Lake.

BW/BWV: it is interesting, and a little harder to find elevators (and some are tiny!! -oh! Poly villas have some tiny elevators too), IMO.

PVB: grounds (although absolutely beautiful & well-themed!) can be pretty painful, and walkways to the villas are completely uncovered to boot- so it’s my least favorite resort (strictly from a WC perspective).

I’ve never stayed at SSR or OKW, but both resorts are pretty sprawling, and farther from parks. This makes an inherent dependency on buses, however, they are both “walkable” to Disney Springs which is a huge plus. I will be staying at SSR next week and am very excited for my first visit there! OKW, however, has always been on my “no-go” list bc I don’t need a WC-accessible room, but cannot have the possibility of stairs… and so the lack of elevators makes me not willing to chance it (but as you can see, it’s some WC-users favorite- so, you just never know!!!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter