Best way to buy golf clubs

v.t.

DIS Veteran
My 18 yo DS wants a set of irons for Christmas. The prices are crazy expensive, the Muzino set he likes is $1000! Someone told me to buy used, so I have started looking and am lost. I know we will have to have the modified since he is 6'6". Any suggestions?

You can get him a nice set of Taylor Made's or Callaway's for under 500. I don't do anything used, just not my thing so can't comment on that front.

My DH has custom clubs, so I can't comment on the used aspect, but at his height, he should be fitted for clubs and go from there.

My golf instructor/pro, tested and sized a set of custom clubs for my height and ability. The cost was much less than a name brand set. So you should find out if your DS wants a set of irons to improve his game or just wants the brand name to flash around.

Since he is rather tall, buying a stock set of irons off the shelf may not work for him. You also didn't indicate if he is a beginning golfer or someone more accomplished. When first starting out, clubs don't matter as much as developing a swing (i.e.. grip, alignment, swing plane, etc.) which takes practice and best done with a golf pro. More accomplished golfers will benefit from having clubs fitted to match their ability (i.e. shaft flex, loft/lie, etc.). Used clubs would probably only be suitable for a novice golfer.

Even for fitted clubs, you will find quite a range of prices. There are various online golf websites where you can see what would be in your price range.

Thanks for all the suggestions. He has only been playing 6 months or so but has been adopted by some of the older guys so they let him try out their clubs. He really likes the Muzinos the best from all the ones he has tried. He needs a stiff shaft that are extended +1 (per golf pro). I was just trying to keep the price closer to $300-$400. While he will probably play on the high school golf team, this will just be a hobby. One of many, that’s why I am trying to stay in budget.

Here's my opinion...

He isn't a pro.
He is young and his likes/dislikes will change.
He can buy his own Muzinos when he's older and can afford them.

I'd buy him a set from a golf pro that is custom fit. It'll be better for his game than an expensive and fancy set.

This is coming from a golf widow whose DH spends gobs of money every year on new clubs. He still hasn't figured out that it isn't the arrow, it's the Indian.

For a hobby or HS, go with what the pro can fit him with at a reasonable price (a Lamborghini is the best of all I have tried but I drive a Ford).
When he gets a college golf scholarship, upgrade.

If you do go used you can probably find a set that is already extended in length. Look for forged heads (like Mizuno's) as those will be able to be bent at any shop to adjust loft and lie to your son's needs. Which Mizuno's does he like best? I'm sure some of us can give you specific brand/model recommendations as substitutes.

I'm guessing the Mizuno's he tried happened to be the right flex/length that suit his swing. No one brand is better then another, particularly when first starting out, it is mostly marketing hype. Club companies pay the touring pros a LOT of money to use their clubs, but doesn't make them better suited to the typical weekend golfer.

If you son plays on a high school team ask the AD or coach if there is a place that gives the team a discount. If you son works PT at a golf course, he should talk to the pros there. They can fit him for clubs and may give him an employee discount. If he takes lessons from a teaching pro, talk to that person to see if they will fit him and sell him clubs. Where we live the teaching pro sells the clubs for less than a store because he does not charge a full retail mark up. And if you son is not taking lessons, buy him some for Christmas with the clubs. Not group lessons, but one on one. Even one or two can really improve his game and make it more fun.

Thank you for all the helpful responses. He doesn’t need a name brand but when we had him fitted, he liked the Mizuno JPX 919 hot metal set. But he also liked an older set and I am trying to find out the model. He does need a stiff shaft, 2 degree upright and +1. I will have his golfing buddy (a retired coach) ask the golf pro what he suggests. He plans on playing for the HS school team but the golf course won’t even offer a discount on green fees so I doubt he would get a deal on equipment but it never hurts to ask.

Try eBay. You can narrow what you are looking for.

I see a set of JPX 919’s for $348.

I golf and have bought quite a few of my clubs on eBay. I go with sellers with lots of feedback and have not had any problems.

It looks like the 919’s are forged irons. They are harder to hit so you might find that you can find slightly used sets from people who bought them and decided to go with irons that are easier to hit cleanly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter