Best upscale dining location ... with a picky eater?

gpjacobs

Mouseketeer
Hi there! My husband and I are going on a kids-free trip in late September to celebrate his birthday. It's a short, weekday trip (2.5 park days, 2 nights) and we're staying at the Grand Californian for the first time. Our goal is to visit SWGE, enjoy the catina, build him a lightsaber and get on MF:SR. If ROTR is open, that'll actually take priority. Everything else is gravy.

I'd like to book one special meal during our trip but am struggling to decide where since my husband is a fairly picky eater. A true steak-and-potato (plus a nice garden vegetable) man. We've eaten at the Blue Bayou and Ariel's Grotto (now Lamplight Lounge). We really enjoyed both meals but he did request a few modifications/sauces on the side, which Disney totally accommodated.

Out of all the fancy restaurants, which would you recommend with a picky eater?

I was going to suggest Blue Bayou, but i'm guessing you want to do something different? There is Steakhouse 55, sides have to be ordered separately from your steak selection, you can check out their menu online. There is also the Steakhouse 55 Lounge, but it's more appetizer/bar food. If you want a buffet, but still want the ambiance, you could do the Storyteller's Buffet at GCH.

I am also a picky eater and the "fancier" Carthay, Napa Rose, and even Lamplight (aside from the drinks and donuts) are too "fancy" for my tastes. I'd have to make too many modifications to things and at that point it's just not worth it for me.

If he likes steak I would go with Steakhouse 55. I love their steaks and the fact that the sides are ordered separately so you can get what you want. The sides are served family style so don't go too overboard or you will have a lot of left overs to take back to the hotel (which make a great late night snack 😉 ). I celebrated my birthday there last year.

I agree with the previous poster, check out their menu online; see if it would be of interest to your husband at all (and you as well)

Yeah, definitely Steakhouse 55 for a steak lover. It's really good for breakfast too. Perfect for a no-kid trip as the restaurant is themed old Hollywood, not theme park.

Thanks for the responses so far! It seems like Steakhouse 55 is a safe bet.

Is the general consensus that Steakhouse 55 is "better" than Napa Rose, at least in this circumstance? I'm more attracted to Napa Rose's menu - or Cathay Circle's, honestly - than Steakhouse 55. But it's HIS birthday.

I was going to suggest Blue Bayou, but i'm guessing you want to do something different? There is Steakhouse 55, sides have to be ordered separately from your steak selection, you can check out their menu online. There is also the Steakhouse 55 Lounge, but it's more appetizer/bar food. If you want a buffet, but still want the ambiance, you could do the Storyteller's Buffet at GCH.

I am also a picky eater and the "fancier" Carthay, Napa Rose, and even Lamplight (aside from the drinks and donuts) are too "fancy" for my tastes. I'd have to make too many modifications to things and at that point it's just not worth it for me.
This is exactly my concern ... by the time the substitutions are made, the value just isn't there anymore. And we're not opposed to revisiting Blue Bayou.

Thanks for the responses so far! It seems like Steakhouse 55 is a safe bet.

Is the general consensus that Steakhouse 55 is "better" than Napa Rose, at least in this circumstance? I'm more attracted to Napa Rose's menu - or Cathay Circle's, honestly - than Steakhouse 55. But it's HIS birthday.

I don't know that I can say one is better than the other. I like them both, it really just depends on what I am looking to eat. If I want the steakhouse experience then I would go to Steakhouse 55 but if I am looking for a more upscale type of food, then I would lean towards Napa Rose. I would say show him both menus and see if there is anything on the Napa Rose menu he might like. They have a couple of steaks that I am certain would be amazing!

Last edited:
I like the Décor at Napa Rose and Carthay , but the food choices are not my style. Why does Disney insist on serving Duck at every high end restaurant. Can't we have a simple chicken meal. Steak55 had good food but the room was not too exciting. Of the 3 I would do Napa Rose

Me too. I’m a picky eater and these are all no go.

If you are leaning toward Napa because you like more foodie-type experiences, you might consider the Chef’s counter there. It’s one of those tasting menu things, where they bring you a whole bunch of small courses. I’ve been 3 times, and it is amazing. They seat you at the counter in front of the kitchen, and one of the chefs greets you and asks about your preferences. This is where your DH can confess to being a picky eater and tell them all the “no-gos” for himself. I guarantee you they will come up with stuff he loves. As an example, we are gluten free by necessity, and found that almost all sit-down meals at DLR have only sorbet or creme brûlée for gf dessert options. I was sort of good-naturedly whining about this to the patisserie chef at Napa last time. She agreed that it needs working on. Later she showed up with a special gf dessert she made, off-menu, just for me! On a good night you’ll have some great interactions with the chefs working in front of you. I’ve also had a couple seem kind of tired and cranky-looking and not too talkative- but always polite when asked something.
Anyway- expensive, but great fun, and the ultimate in catering to your likes and dislikes!

I'm relatively picky and not at all into fancy food in general, but I love Steakhouse 55. Highly recommend it. You order the steak and the sides separately, which I like, since I often end up ordering a type of steak based on whether or not I like the sides... :rolleyes: (picky eater problems). I really loved the atmosphere in there, too.

... Is the general consensus that Steakhouse 55 is "better" than Napa Rose, at least in this circumstance? I'm more attracted to Napa Rose's menu - or Cathay Circle's, honestly - than Steakhouse 55. But it's HIS birthday.
It isn't really a question of "better," but of style. S55 is a classic steakhouse restaurant. NR is a Californian wine country style restaurant. Both are good. Both are nice. Both are fun. Just different styles of cuisine and atmosphere. Show your husband the menus for S55 and for NR -- let him choose, since he's the birthday boy. You'll have a good time at either restaurant. Wherever you dine, make sure to note on the reservation that you'll be celebrating your DH's birthday!

If you are leaning toward Napa because you like more foodie-type experiences, you might consider the Chef’s counter there. It’s one of those tasting menu things, where they bring you a whole bunch of small courses. I’ve been 3 times, and it is amazing. They seat you at the counter in front of the kitchen, and one of the chefs greets you and asks about your preferences. This is where your DH can confess to being a picky eater and tell them all the “no-gos” for himself. I guarantee you they will come up with stuff he loves. As an example, we are gluten free by necessity, and found that almost all sit-down meals at DLR have only sorbet or creme brûlée for gf dessert options. I was sort of good-naturedly whining about this to the patisserie chef at Napa last time. She agreed that it needs working on. Later she showed up with a special gf dessert she made, off-menu, just for me! On a good night you’ll have some great interactions with the chefs working in front of you. I’ve also had a couple seem kind of tired and cranky-looking and not too talkative- but always polite when asked something.
Anyway- expensive, but great fun, and the ultimate in catering to your likes and dislikes!
This is an excellent idea! Thank you!

Yeah, definitely Steakhouse 55 for a steak lover. It's really good for breakfast too. Perfect for a no-kid trip as the restaurant is themed old Hollywood, not theme park.

It's GREAT for breakfast! We ate breakfast there before driving back home in February and it was awesome and very low-key in there (might be different on the weekends).

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input! I plan to let hubby decide between Napa Rose (potentially the Chef's Counter) and Steakhouse 55 and see where we land.

Just be aware that Napa Rose changes their menus seasonally, so what you see on there this week will not be the same as what they have in September. There are things they always have (like steak) but the sauce/sides will be different. That's one of the things we really like about Napa Rose, although I will be sad when their Sundried Tomato & Cheddar rolls go off the menu...:sad:

Just be aware that Napa Rose changes their menus seasonally, so what you see on there this week will not be the same as what they have in September. There are things they always have (like steak) but the sauce/sides will be different. That's one of the things we really like about Napa Rose, although I will be sad when their Sundried Tomato & Cheddar rolls go off the menu...:sad:
Good reminder, thank you!

Hi there! My husband and I are going on a kids-free trip in late September to celebrate his birthday. It's a short, weekday trip (2.5 park days, 2 nights) and we're staying at the Grand Californian for the first time. Our goal is to visit SWGE, enjoy the catina, build him a lightsaber and get on MF:SR. If ROTR is open, that'll actually take priority. Everything else is gravy.

I'd like to book one special meal during our trip but am struggling to decide where since my husband is a fairly picky eater. A true steak-and-potato (plus a nice garden vegetable) man. We've eaten at the Blue Bayou and Ariel's Grotto (now Lamplight Lounge). We really enjoyed both meals but he did request a few modifications/sauces on the side, which Disney totally accommodated.

Out of all the fancy restaurants, which would you recommend with a picky eater?
Steakhouse 55

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter