Best time to go to Disney World.

bamamom

DIS Veteran
We went to Disney in October and it was wonderful as far as crowds etc...However we will not be able to go back in Oct because they have taken fall break from our school schedule :furious: and now that my son will have to start taking exams if he misses any days then we can't pull him from school..... So we are now looking at other dates. Those of you that have been at all the different times I would like your advice. We are looking at either Thanksgiving (which would have to be a shorter trip 4 nites) or Christmas (arriving the day after Christmas and staying to day after New Years Day) or Spring Break (usually the last week of March of us) or summer the last week of June or the middle to end of July. I know June and July are hot :sunny: But of these dates how are the crowds and the weather in Nov and Dec. I am afraid that October has spoiled us ;) but not enough to not go back some other time of year :thumbsup2 . Thanks for the advice!!

Hi,

Christmas week: UNBELIEVABLY CROWDED!

Thanksgiving weekend: VERY CROWDED!

Last week of June/First week of July: SEE CHRISTMAS WEEK ABOVE!

Spring Break: CROWDED, but not as bad as any of the above.

Unfortunately, the law of crowds at WDW is that whenever schools are closed the parks will be crowded.

I'm not sure when your schools re-open for the new term, but if you go the last two weeks in August crowds are quite manageable becuase many schools are back in session.

My DD,11 is starting in 6th grade this fall, and we decided it would be OK to take her out for our trip of Aug 30 - Sept 6. Labor Day they are off anyways and she will have time to catch up.

If grades are A's & B's or even some C's, she will be able to correct that.

This IS 6th grade though, :rolleyes1 don't think we can do the same trip again at that time when she starts 7th grade & up.

It's worth the lesser crowds and the weather is great, well has been in the past & not to speak of Frances visiting our last trip :rolleyes1

The first time we went to WDW was in September of 1999. We won't go during hurricane season again. The last two times we have gone was the first eleven days of February and it was great. There are some rides closed and one water park is always closed but the lines are quick, the weather is wonderful and the crowds are small. The years that the superbowl are in Florida it is a little bit more crowded but still it isn't bad. Have a great time.

We've been at all times of the year, and even though it is crowded, hot and humid, I love the summer months. The energy is so Disney! But the best time we've ever been is to arrive the Sunday after Thanksgiving and leave the following Sunday. Monday through Thursday you basically have the parks to yourself. The Christmas decorations are up and the Christmas shows hae started but there are NO crowds. On Friday it starts to pick up, but by then we have seen and done everything we wanted to do and the minimal lines and crowds don't bother us at all.

I agree with all responders so this wont add much but here goes.

Absolutely the best time to go is from Mid Aug thru mid Nov as crowds and temperatures are low plus little or no rain BUT parks are not open late because of low attendance- kind of a supply/demand thing.

Worst times as mentioned: 1) Summer - Memorial Day thru mid Aug- (most schools is south start school by mid Aug), 2) Christmas/New Years - after Dec 15th thru mid March, AND 3) Thanksgiving and Easter Weeks - again whenever schools are not in session around most of the US.

Unofficial Guide lists the foll weeks as over 50k visitors per day or double the off-season rate: Thansgiving, Christmas, NewYears, Pres Week, Spring Break, Easter, Mem Day, and most of summer.

What does that leave? First two weeks in December and Spring not around Easter (Mar thru June excluding Easter week) and possibly Early August.

If you plan ahead, use touring schedules, get to parks early, use fastpass, take a break when weather gets hot and crowds large summer can be manageable.

Out of everything you listed, Spring Break might be your best bet. We went at Thanksgiving a few years ago and were told the park was almost at max capacity the day before (we went Sunday - Monday BEFORE Thanksgiving). I would never go then again.

I've heard that right after Christmas is horrible.

Summer is just too hot for my liking. ;)

As for Spring Break, not everyone goes on Spring Break at the same time, which will be your saving grace at that time. Spring Break weeks off can range anywhere from early March into April. We went in early March of 2006 and it was decent (I'd much rather go at a low peak time, though).

Sorry to hear you can't go in the fall anymore. You *have* been spoiled, but being in Disney is always worth it no matter how you slice it.

I took my DD last week of Sep last year, and it was GREAT - never waited more than a few minutes in line for any ride, weather was still hot, but not horrible - no hurricanes around, and only rained a few times for short periods.

DH and I went this year the first week of January, and again - GREAT - a little more crowded than during September, but not really all that bad since most people were heading home and the marathoners hadn't started arriving yet. It did get cold enough a few days that we had to buy sweatshirts, but the kids at CBR were still in the pool until late!

I was in WDW from Dec 26-29 and from Jan 2-4 last year. Dec. 26-29 was crowded, but manageable and we had a great time, rode everything, awesome weather. Jan 2-4 was pretty quiet- not too many lines. Personally, I find that if you get to the parks early, it's not a huge deal. I usually only *feel* crowded in MK. Another thing to remember- the hotter it is, the more crowded it usually feels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter