• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time to drive with 8 month old

Jennifoofoo

Earning My Ears
We will be making our first long distance drive with our 8 month old son in August. He's made plenty of 4-5 hour trips with no problems. Any suggestions on when to leave? We've thought about leaving right before he's ready for bed so that he will hopefully sleep through the night for the ride. We've also thought about dividing the trip up over a few days. Any recommendations from the experts who have done this? Also, will probably make another trip either in November or Feb when he will be 1 year old or 15 months. Any difference in driving strategies then? Actually, we're thinking of flying for those possible trips, but just in case we drive, I'd appreciate any advice!

Hi Jen---

We have driven several times from MA. My youngest was 6 months on the first trip and we left home at 3:30 pm and drove through the night. She was great and my other 2 were good also. They slept through the night. The other times we have left early in the morning and put the girls in the car in their p.j.'s and drive until they wake up. Stop, wash up and go again. We have been stopping at night around 8-9 and sleep. Then we will get up around 5 am and get back in the car and be at WDW around 1-2 pm.

If your child is still in a rear facing car seat it is easier and more comfortable for him/her. Once they get to the toddler car seat it looks a little uncomfortable. They really have a hard time relaxing their head when they sleep. I try to prop my DD's head with pillows to make her comfortable. My other 2 DD's just lay down in the car.

Have a safe drive.......

I haven't done a really long trip, but we have done 6 hr trips - we have 2 car seats, one is very upright and the other one reclines quite far - I prefer to take the reclining one on a longish trip as my dd looks much more comfortable when she sleeps.
It's not really safe to lie down in the car to sleep, as if you have a sharp stop they will roll onto the floor, or even under the front seats (although, I have to say we used to do it as kids ourselves, but I wouldn't let my kids do it)

Bev

We have never driven to WDW, but we make a 6-hr drive to visit family a few times a year. When mine were babies, we would head out around 7:00PM and get in very late (1:00AM). We don't mind driving at night, and they slept almost the entire way! Now that they are older, we always try to leave in the afternoon - right before nap time. The kids quickly fall asleep and my two will sleep for at least an hour. It makes the beginning of the trip go by so quickly. Have fun on your trip!!

Melissa

Thanks for the advice. We are leaning toward driving at night since the baby will probably sleep. Hopefully, I will be able to also because when we arrive I know the baby will be up, hubby will be asleep and guess who will be up with the baby!!!

Start driving after dinner but before bedtime, drive thru the night while the baby is sleeping. Trade off,if there are 2 of you,one nap,one drive!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter