• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best time to book AlaskaWonder?

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
We're looking at doing the Alaska cruise from Vancouver in May/June 2014. We'll have two young children at the time (both under 3 years old) were local to Vancouver.

I'm just curious when the best time to book it would be. I've noticed in the past they've had kids sail free in may/early June for this cruise and have also had BC residents discounts.

Any tips? :)

We've done Alaska before but on another cruise line and very last minute. Last minute is kind of out when you have young children!

If you really want to sail DCL to Alaska, you might want to consider summer of 2013. As of right now, we don't even know if DCL will be sailing to Alaska or even have a ship out here on the west coast. :sad1:

If you really want to sail DCL to Alaska, you might want to consider summer of 2013. As of right now, we don't even know if DCL will be sailing to Alaska or even have a ship out here on the west coast. :sad1:

That's why we book Alaska for 2013.

This isn't what you're asking but I'd save the Disney Cruise until your kids are at least 3 (and potty trained) so they can go to the kids club and in the pools (tho I don't know how much pool use happens on the Alaska cruise anyway).

We were also hoping for Alaska out of Vancouver in 2014, but reports are that 2013 will be the last time there for DCL. The rates were much lower opening day for 2013 than they were for the 2011 cruises on opening day. Unfortunately, 2013 just doesn't work for us.

We're looking at doing the Alaska cruise from Vancouver in May/June 2014. We'll have two young children at the time (both under 3 years old) were local to Vancouver.

I'm just curious when the best time to book it would be. I've noticed in the past they've had kids sail free in may/early June for this cruise and have also had BC residents discounts. Any tips? :)

We've done Alaska before but on another cruise line and very last minute. Last minute is kind of out when you have young children!

They only offer discounts when the cruises aren't selling well. So the discounts you mentioned are an indication that DCL has been struggling to fill their Alaskan cruises.

I really wish DCL would keep a ship on the west coast, but since they're discontinuing the Mexican Riviera cruises, and Alaska hasn't been selling as well as they would've liked, or Hawaii either, things aren't looking good for a DCL ship on the west coast.

They only offer discounts when the cruises aren't selling well. So the discounts you mentioned are an indication that DCL has been struggling to fill their Alaskan cruises.

I really wish DCL would keep a ship on the west coast, but since they're discontinuing the Mexican Riviera cruises, and Alaska hasn't been selling as well as they would've liked, or Hawaii either, things aren't looking good for a DCL ship on the west coast.

Yeah, I know, BOO!:sad:

This situation will figure prominantly on my comment card for our upcoming cruise. I think DCL just needs to stick it out a bit more, keep the Alaska cruises, and Pacific Coastal, occasionaly Hawaii.

Maybe they could look into some longer stuff (Panama Canals/Australia/South America). I know that the longer cruises are a problem for those with kids and that is a problem for DCL to market cruises that may not be kid-friendly in duration/destination, but I REALLY like having DCL on the west coast.

:cutie:

Those were the only cruises for Alaska with the kids free offer. One reason for this was school dates. Another was that when you research when the best time to take a cruise to Alaska is, these times are not amoung the best.

pharmama said:
This isn't what you're asking but I'd save the Disney Cruise until your kids are at least 3 (and potty trained) so they can go to the kids club and in the pools (tho I don't know how much pool use happens on the Alaska cruise anyway).

Lots of pool use on our Alaskan cruise. The kiddos do not seem to understand Brrrrr! :)

Book 2013 and if they announce 2014 before you are in penalty phase, change the date.

Disney Alaska is soooo worth it!

And all Disney had to do is sail Hawaii in the summer and we will be there.

PrincessShmoo said:
Yeah, I know, BOO!:sad:

This situation will figure prominantly on my comment card for our upcoming cruise. I think DCL just needs to stick it out a bit more, keep the Alaska cruises, and Pacific Coastal, occasionaly Hawaii.

Maybe they could look into some longer stuff (Panama Canals/Australia/South America). I know that the longer cruises are a problem for those with kids and that is a problem for DCL to market cruises that may not be kid-friendly in duration/destination, but I REALLY like having DCL on the west coast.

:cutie:

Those are great ideas. I was hoping to go to Alaska in August 2014. I really wanted it to be on DCL sorry OP for not being helpful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter