Best time of year to visit

OkanaganAmanda

Earning My Ears
We currently are booked to thru Dreams to WDW in late August/early Sept for a week. However, we are in Canada and things haven't opened up to a point where we can travel without 14 day quarantine, so I'm going to have to cancel (again....second time cancelling!). Our kids are currently 5 and 7, so young enough that I don't mind if they miss school. They've been to DL but not to WDW, and so we are more attraction driven and aren't too fussed about festivals etc. What time of year would be the BEST time to go, for crowds to not be too busy? I don't mind taking them out of school for a week, but would really like to not go at a time with massive crowds. Our school breaks in Canada don't always line up with when they are in the US, so I'm not totally certain when the peak times of year are down there. Thank you!!

DD23 and I have tons of trips during the time period you mentioned and our sweet spot was the first week of December for lack of crowds. August thru October we had issues with heat and hurricanes but December was super nice. We’ve also done multiple trips the week leading up to Thanksgiving but it was more hit and miss and the weather. Crowds increased up to thanksgiving.

Happy travels!

I’m sure everyone had their own opinion but I personally love late February/early March!! It’s busy but not crazy and the weather has always been great for us but I know it can get cold but we live in the northern states so it’s nice to get out of the snow and cold for a little bit knowing spring is approaching.

My favorite time is February-early March. August and September will be super hot and humid. I’m not sure there is a non busy time anymore and the rest of this year into next year will be kind of unknown.

I second early December. The first week or two are generally very nice. Third week is hit or miss depending on when Christmas falls that year. I love getting away from the snowy Ontario weather, seeing the Christmas decor, and not having to deal with huge crowds. The crowds really grow the closer you get to Christmas.

Pre Covid I would hear a lot of talk that there was less of a "down time" at WDW. However, I do remember a Dis video saying they thought that summer didn't seem as busy as it usual is. Generally speaking, it's when school is out. That is holidays like Christmas, Spring Break/Easter (usually May but some states can start in April), Thanksgiving and then holiday weekends like Memorial Day, President's weekend and 4th of July. I've also heard that October in general is busy because of Halloween approaching and the Epcot festivals. Keep in mind of hurricane season.

I go in May and Oct. This coincides with the Flower & Garden and Food & Wine festivals. In addition the weather is usually cooler during these months than other times of the year.

DD23 and I have tons of trips during the time period you mentioned and our sweet spot was the first week of December for lack of crowds. August thru October we had issues with heat and hurricanes but December was super nice. We’ve also done multiple trips the week leading up to Thanksgiving but it was more hit and miss and the weather. Crowds increased up to thanksgiving.

Happy travels!
Thank you! Early December sounds nice. Christmas decorations and no crowds! I was there in early Dec back in 2003 - it was really chilly but still not as cold as home!

Pre Covid I would hear a lot of talk that there was less of a "down time" at WDW. However, I do remember a Dis video saying they thought that summer didn't seem as busy as it usual is. Generally speaking, it's when school is out. That is holidays like Christmas, Spring Break/Easter (usually May but some states can start in April), Thanksgiving and then holiday weekends like Memorial Day, President's weekend and 4th of July. I've also heard that October in general is busy because of Halloween approaching and the Epcot festivals. Keep in mind of hurricane season.
Thank you for this! I am in Canada, so in the states, your holidays aren't always at the same time as ours (ie. our spring break is in March), and I know some places in the US have a Fall Break which doesn't exist here.

My favorite time is February-early March. August and September will be super hot and humid. I’m not sure there is a non busy time anymore and the rest of this year into next year will be kind of unknown.
I haven't been there during those months before. Thanks for that! Yes, late Aug/early Sept will defintiely be hot, but we were ok with it as it gets HOT where we live in British Columbia (in fact just yesterday, it was 36 degrees celcius which is 97F)....not humid though. But now that we can't go this summer since our border isn't open yet, I'm totally open to pulling the kids out of school for a week next year.....just want to get to WDW sooner than later!

I haven't been there during those months before. Thanks for that! Yes, late Aug/early Sept will defintiely be hot, but we were ok with it as it gets HOT where we live in British Columbia (in fact just yesterday, it was 36 degrees celcius which is 97F)....not humid though. But now that we can't go this summer since our border isn't open yet, I'm totally open to pulling the kids out of school for a week next year.....just want to get to WDW sooner than later!
Humidity to me is completely different than just hot. I love hot weather but the humidity feels smothering to me and we live here lol. September also has a high chance of hurricanes.

We currently are booked to thru Dreams to WDW in late August/early Sept for a week. However, we are in Canada and things haven't opened up to a point where we can travel without 14 day quarantine, so I'm going to have to cancel (again....second time cancelling!). Our kids are currently 5 and 7, so young enough that I don't mind if they miss school. They've been to DL but not to WDW, and so we are more attraction driven and aren't too fussed about festivals etc. What time of year would be the BEST time to go, for crowds to not be too busy? I don't mind taking them out of school for a week, but would really like to not go at a time with massive crowds. Our school breaks in Canada don't always line up with when they are in the US, so I'm not totally certain when the peak times of year are down there. Thank you!!

We usually do summer or March break but took the kids in early May a few years back and it was great. If you are okay with pulling them out of school for a week May and September would both be good times to go IMO.

Thank you! Early December sounds nice. Christmas decorations and no crowds! I was there in early Dec back in 2003 - it was really chilly but still not as cold as home!

I would caution that early December is a very popular time for DVC members to visit. It will be crowded. There really are no months anymore where WDW is not crowded.

If I could go anytime, I'd pick Feb/March (avoiding Easter).

How do people feel about November? I'm considering Nov. 9-16, 2021. Thoughts on crowds, weather, etc.? Thanks!

Our favorite time of year so far was the 2nd week of December. I think we were there something like the 7th-14th. The weather and crowds were amazing and we got all the xmas activities too. The kids were still really young then so it was no biggie to take them out of school so we haven't been back that time of year since but I can't wait to go at that time again!

We have visited every month but August and December remains our favorite. We love the first few weeks but we have also visited during Christmas and had a wonderful time. I don't think a slow time exists at WDW anymore but crowds have never been a problem to us. Plan ahead and you'll have a great trip. How often we've passed through the gate to see a group with a map deciding what to do. Better yet the group who shows up at a popular dining spot to get a table for eight people and no reservation. Disney is crazy expensive so don't go unprepared. In most cases a successful trip is based on planning not time of year. Have a great time.

We have visited every month but August and December remains our favorite. We love the first few weeks but we have also visited during Christmas and had a wonderful time. I don't think a slow time exists at WDW anymore but crowds have never been a problem to us. Plan ahead and you'll have a great trip. How often we've passed through the gate to see a group with a map deciding what to do. Better yet the group who shows up at a popular dining spot to get a table for eight people and no reservation. Disney is crazy expensive so don't go unprepared. In most cases a successful trip is based on planning not time of year. Have a great time.
I couldn’t agree more!! We went one year between Christmas and New Year and even though it was crazy busy, we still had a blast and the weather was wonderful!!! MK was the only park that we had issues doing day 1. (I don’t think my FP+ Selections were very good d/t choices left. We were staying at SOG which at the time FP reservations were 30 days out for there. ) I have also been in the summer when it was hot as Hades!! You just plan more breaks in the heat of the day. Utilize your mornings and evenings and plan shows, pools, resort activities in the heat of the day. as long as you plan for the crowds and the type of weather you can have the perfect vacation, or at least close to it. Disney is NOT a “go with the flow” kinda place lol

I am big fan of traveling in January between that week between New Year and MLK is fairly inexpensive and usually empty because everyone is back at work or school after the Christmas holidays. Flights are often well priced at this time.

We highly recommend the first week of December. It is fully decorated for the holidays and a lot going on as well.... wasn't crowded when we went a few years ago. Loved it. Would definitely go at that time again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter