Best things to do outside the parks?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
That will still give a "Disney" feel? Resort activities, excursions, etc... Bonus if they're free and/or fairly inexpensive (less than $50 pp). *If* we go back we'll probably only be able to afford 2 park days, but would like to do some other "Disney-ish" things. On my list so far:

- Chip n Dales campfire at Fort Wilderness
- Mini golf
- Maybe an out of park character breakfast (suggestions?)

Honestly, if I could only afford 2 park days, I would try to scrape the money together for a 3rd day before I'd spend $50/person on a character meal. All that other stuff is great as a break from the parks, but only if I felt I had adequate park time already.

Honestly, if I could only afford 2 park days, I would try to scrape the money together for a 3rd day before I'd spend $50/person on a character meal. All that other stuff is great as a break from the parks, but only if I felt I had adequate park time already.

Not that simple in our situation. My in laws are paying for my son, we have to pay for ourselves and DD. But if we add a 3rd park day, we have to pay for ourselves, plus DS, so a meal might be $150, but to add a 3rd day would be $360. So a difference of $210 US (almost $300 CDN). That's a lot of "scraping" to do :( I doubt we'll do a character meal anyways, due to cost, but was just an idea of something special to do with DD, while DS was off with his grandfather for the day.

We are going for a total of 4 days surrounding a cruise. We are only doing one park day but plan to go to Disney Springs (LEGO store and bowling), walk the boardwalk, and play mini golf. We also like taking the boat to Wilderness Lodge then taking the walking trail to Fort Wilderness to see the horses.

You've already got some good ideas and there are some great suggestions that have also been made.

Are you staying onsite? If so, check out your resort's activities calendar-- there are often different activities (crafts, etc.) scheduled during the day for free or minimal dollars, scheduled pool games and outdoor evening movies as well... Animal Kingdom Lodge has a great free culinary tour in the afternoon (with samples from Boma and Jiko)-- which could be combined with a visit to see the animals in the public viewing areas.

Were you already planning on park hoppers? The park hopper plus would only add $25 pp and give you your mini-golf admission AND a water park entry.

Other ideas: Ride the water ferries to visit all the resorts on Bay lake. Ride the monorail (both loops-- resort & EPCOT). Visit a bunch of different resorts and try a unique snack/food item from each one. Rent a personal watercraft (pontoon, sea racer, canoe, etc.). A resort character breakfast would be less expensive than a dinner.

There are SO many ways to have fun at Disney without entering a park or spending lots of $$.

We rented a surrey bike at the Boardwalk last June and it was so much fun! I think it was like $25 to rent the bike, it wasn't terrible. We also like mini golf. You could combine the two by playing mini golf at Fantasia Gardens and then walking over to the Boardwalk to rent the bike, maybe stop and get some ice cream or something.

I've always wanted to ride the boats around Disney Springs, but we have never stayed in that area or bothered to do it.

You've already got some good ideas and there are some great suggestions that have also been made.

Are you staying onsite? If so, check out your resort's activities calendar-- there are often different activities (crafts, etc.) scheduled during the day for free or minimal dollars, scheduled pool games and outdoor evening movies as well... Animal Kingdom Lodge has a great free culinary tour in the afternoon (with samples from Boma and Jiko)-- which could be combined with a visit to see the animals in the public viewing areas.

Were you already planning on park hoppers? The park hopper plus would only add $25 pp and give you your mini-golf admission AND a water park entry.

Other ideas: Ride the water ferries to visit all the resorts on Bay lake. Ride the monorail (both loops-- resort & EPCOT). Visit a bunch of different resorts and try a unique snack/food item from each one. Rent a personal watercraft (pontoon, sea racer, canoe, etc.). A resort character breakfast would be less expensive than a dinner.

There are SO many ways to have fun at Disney without entering a park or spending lots of $$.

No, we'll be off site, and base tickets only.

If it were me, I'd spend the day resort hopping:

Breakfast at The Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge, followed by exploring the resort and checking out the animals. Lunch on the Boardwalk or at Beaches & Cream. Afternoon renting bikes and exploring Fort Wilderness, and dinner there or at Wilderness Lodge (the bike path connects both). Chip and Dale's Campfire, and then depending on how the timing works out, maybe grab a boat launch to the Contemporary to watch fireworks from the 4th floor observation deck.

Since you're off site, plan on parking at Disney Springs then going to resorts of your choice. We tried to do the campfire w/ Chip and Dale and they wouldn't let you park at Fort Wilderness w/o a reservation for one of the table service meals.
Park at DS and take a bus to one of the Deluxe resorts. Polly was fun to walk around in and the pork nachos were easily shareable. You get 3 drinks from the machine w/ 1 purchase of a soda cup. From there you can take a boat or the monorail to the other 2 deluxe resorts.
Head over to Fort Wilderness to see the horses and then do the campfire. After the campfire, boat back to the Polly beach for MK fireworks.

If you're planning on pin trading, there's quite a few places your DD could do that at DS as well.

We tried to do the campfire w/ Chip and Dale and they wouldn't let you park at Fort Wilderness w/o a reservation for one of the table service meals.

Well that's really good to know, as yes, I had been planning on driving there. Seems like a long PIB to have to drive to DS, then take a bus etc... Wow... I'd gladly pay them $20 for parking to be able to just drive there and park.

Well that's really good to know, as yes, I had been planning on driving there. Seems like a long PIB to have to drive to DS, then take a bus etc... Wow... I'd gladly pay them $20 for parking to be able to just drive there and park.

You could park at TTC and then take the ferry to MK and then the small boat to FW, which will cost you $20, there's no way to guarantee any of the deluxe will let you park in their lot w/o a TS reservation

I agree with everything that's been suggested (disney springs, boardwalk, campground, resort hop, mini golf, monorail). Since you'll have a car we like to go to the character warehouse for discounted souvenirs and walmart in Orlando has tons of inexpensive souviners, it's always a must for us. Also there are some great places to eat off site. They're inexpensive and different than what I have at home, so I find it fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter