Best Studio

Don't just assume that deluxes/DVCs have more food options - they often have more table service choices, but less in the way of quick service.

If you'd like to have a lot of table service restaurants to choose from, I'll recommend the Epcot area resorts (BWV/BCV), because you're within walking distance of the Boardwalk, YC/BC, Swan and Dolphin. There are fewer, smaller quick service eateries in this area, though. Also, at the monorail DVCs (VGF, Poly, BLT), you'll have a lot of table service options a short ride away. The quick service situation is a bit better in those resorts than the Epcot resorts, IMO, but you still won't find the kind of food courts you had at POR, POFQ and Pop. They're more on par with the Mara at AKL.

Thanks everyone, alot of great info on this thread.. the reasoning behind the possibly of a studio is to be at a deluxe with more food options and possibly food options within walking distance as well as with renting points the prices that are usually better than booking a standard room even at the moderates... we've stayed at standard room at POR Riverside and french quarter, animal kingdom and pop..are studios smaller than that? My kids don't mind sleeping together or separate either...

Thanks all.
DVC villas are designed to be a “home away from home”. In resorts where they share space with hotel rooms, like Poly, they are located further away from restaurants and quick service than the hotel rooms. At larger resorts, like SSR, you could be a considerable walking distance from them. AKV-Kidani has limited quick service in the morning at Sanaa and a drink refill station in the lobby gift shop. BWV has no indoor access to dining. You have to go out on the boardwalk to purchase food (the exception is the continental breakfast offered in the Belle Vue Lounge). The assumption is that you will use your kitchenette (or kitchen) for some meals.

I would also recommend that you take a really hard look at prices. There are certain seasons when renting a DVC studio is not more affordable than booking a Moderate Resort hotel room with a discount. Do some research regarding previous discounts that have been offered at the time you intend to travel. The number of DVC points needed to book a night is fixed and based on DVC seasons, not Disney seasons. Also, don’t expect to rent AKV value studios or BWV standard view studios. They are limited in number and very difficult to book.

Some DVC resort villas were built specifically to be DVC. But there are others (Poly, CCV, AKV-Jambo) that were converted from hotel rooms. The addition of a kitchenette in those studios actually makes them feel smaller than a regular hotel room (although Poly DVC were converted from the larger hotel rooms at the resort). However, if you “mainly use the room for sleeping” then does it really matter how big the room is?

Thanks everyone, alot of great info on this thread.. the reasoning behind the possibly of a studio is to be at a deluxe with more food options and possibly food options within walking distance as well as with renting points the prices that are usually better than booking a standard room even at the moderates... we've stayed at standard room at POR Riverside and french quarter, animal kingdom and pop..are studios smaller than that? My kids don't mind sleeping together or separate either...

Thanks all.

I'm not a huge fan of the typical food courts other than the Mara so BWV works well for me when I'm looking at food options. However, it does depend on how your family will be eating. BWV has a pizza window which we love (great Sangria as well), ESPN club, Trattoria al Forno (character breakfast or italian dinner), Flying Fish, a few carnival like food stands, margarita stand, Abracadabar, Ample Hills (best ice cream on property IMO) and is only a boat ride or walk away from Yacht and Beach or Swan and Dolphin all with many many more dining choices. You do have to walk outdoors to access most food options, but this has never been a big inconvenience for us. You can get there mostly covered by the overhangs if it's raining which is more coverage than if you were trying to get to the food court at say pop century since you've stayed there. Studios at BWV are larger than all of the rooms you've mentioned. I'd recommend BWV as you can see for dining options, comfort, and space. Plus being able to walk into Epcot or HWS is a huge bonus.

We are a family of 4 and have no issues with the space of a studio. It’s fine for our family. We really like the ones with a 5th sleeper space. Beach Club Villas is our favourite

We had five in Beach Club studio last year and we were quite comfortable. It didn't feel any more squished than a standard hotel room, plus we had the added benefit of that partial kitchen. We ate breakfast in our room each morning (bagels and cream cheese, yogurt, cereal, etc) and saved a lot of money that way. Now that we rent DVC, we couldnt go back to a standard room at Disney. We'd feel stuck for dining.

Next trip weve booked a Board Walk studio and Villas Grand Floridian studio. They've both got that fifth sleeper.

Also in the DVC studios you get paper plates and bowls, paper towels, plastic utensils, 4 ceramic coffee cups and 4 glass drinking glasses, a can opener and bottle opener, toaster and microwave, in addition to the full size Mr. Coffee coffee maker.

Our studio during our trip last week still has NOT added the mounted shampoo/condition/liquid soap dispenser yet. I noticed the bathroom in the resort gym does. Unfortunately, the spigot for the liquid soap was broken off and not functional so I used the shampoo instead.

If renting points, it is usually non-cancellable and you can’t change dates, unlike a regular room only reservation which I believe you can cancel up to about 5 days prior to arrival. Changing a regular room only might be problematic though insofar as keeping a discounted rate if you are able to secure one initially.

I believe I read that the BWV have that pull down bunk bed in them...does anyone know how big the bed is? Large enough for my 14 year old daughter? She can sleep comfortably in a twin size bed, but I'm not sure if this is smaller than that. Otherwise, is it an option to bring a twin size air mattress for her to sleep on? My dilemma is that me and two daughters are traveling with my brother...neither niece wants to share a bed with their uncle if possible, understandably! It would be great if we could set up a twin air mattress for my oldest to sleep on!

I have an 11 year old that's a little tall and she has no problem. She fights with her 7 year old sister over it. :D

I believe I read that the BWV have that pull down bunk bed in them...does anyone know how big the bed is? Large enough for my 14 year old daughter? She can sleep comfortably in a twin size bed, but I'm not sure if this is smaller than that. Otherwise, is it an option to bring a twin size air mattress for her to sleep on? My dilemma is that me and two daughters are traveling with my brother...neither niece wants to share a bed with their uncle if possible, understandably! It would be great if we could set up a twin air mattress for my oldest to sleep on!
The murphy bed is smaller than a twin, narrower and shorter. You could bring a twin sized air bed, but you would need your own sheets for it.

We've stayed at OKW and BWV and I preferred BWV. The resort itself was so much nicer and the rooms felt bigger (not sure if that's the case) and in better condition.
OKW Studios are bigger, and the units were just redone, or they're finishing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter