Best Route into the Fort while towing (SB)...

mickeyfan0805

DIS Veteran
For you Fort vets, I'll be towing in from the north and coming across the turnpike and then down 429. Google directions suggest a route, using Winter Garden Vineland Rd, that takes me back into areas I am not even sure are publicly accessible (by the Grand Cypress resort and down Vista that way).

Is this the route to go, or is the best bet to take 429 to Western Way, up Buena Vista, and then up World Drive through the gates and east across Vista to the Fort?

Thanks!

We also take the Western Way route, up to World Drive. If you are towing a fifth wheel, or travel trailer, it is Much easier to turn left off Vista Boulevard, rather than going in the opposing lane to make a wide right turn. We have left the way you asked about to travel back to Wisconsin, but too many stop lights, and turns. Good luck, and have a great visit.

I agree with bjschil. That route via Winter Garden - Vineland Road is not a good choice when towing. Once I get my rig rolling behind me I like to keep moving and start/stop as little as possible.

The only thing about coming in via Western Way and then up World Drive is when you go through the MK toll booth, get in the right most booth lane as you can (THE right lane is reserved for bus service and Cast Members IIRC) but it's not far once you go through that you have to make a right onto Vista. So be as far right as you can get when going through. The toll booth CM's will see your trailer and know where you're going and just waive you on through.

Bama Ed

I agree with bjschil. That route via Winter Garden - Vineland Road is not a good choice when towing. Once I get my rig rolling behind me I like to keep moving and start/stop as little as possible.

The only thing about coming in via Western Way and then up World Drive is when you go through the MK toll booth, get in the right most booth lane as you can (THE right lane is reserved for bus service and Cast Members IIRC) but it's not far once you go through that you have to make a right onto Vista. So be as far right as you can get when going through. The toll booth CM's will see your trailer and know where you're going and just waive you on through.

Bama Ed

We would not want to come in the back way. Again, that right turn in to the Fort is a real bugger from that direction.
As Ed says, stay to the right at the MK booths, we went thru the second from the first trip, and last trip, I went thru the bus one. Again, they see the trailer, they know where you are headed.
Can't wait to be driving up World Drive......

Weren't they supposed to building us a new turn off on World Drive so we can avoid the toll booth?

Weren't they supposed to building us a new turn off on World Drive so we can avoid the toll booth?

There's a whole new interchange going in (I'm told it's for the resorts to avoid the booth). Huge construction - we saw it last month. Not sure when it is supposed to be done.

We also take the Western Way route, up to World Drive. If you are towing a fifth wheel, or travel trailer, it is Much easier to turn left off Vista Boulevard, rather than going in the opposing lane to make a wide right turn. We have left the way you asked about to travel back to Wisconsin, but too many stop lights, and turns. Good luck, and have a great visit.

Where are you from in WI. We are just north of Milwaukee and I'm trying to figure out if the extra mileage is worth going out to 39 and avoiding all of the cities. Any thoughts?

Where are you from in WI. We are just north of Milwaukee and I'm trying to figure out if the extra mileage is worth going out to 39 and avoiding all of the cities. Any thoughts?

We are from Darlington, SW corner of the state. We go through Rockford, down that VERY long state of Illinois, Paducah, Nashville..... then, last year we decided to avoid Atlanta at all costs, and drove through Alabama. The scenery was spectacular, was a wonderful drive, and so easy. We observed many camping spots right off interstate as you head further south. We joined I 10, drove East, and headed south on 75. It did add most likely 2 hours to our drive, but we were not having to drive late, leave early, to time our drive through Atlanta. This will be our new easy route. If you have not driven through Atlanta, beware. We have the AllStays camping App on our phone, and very easy to find camping spots. Have fun. This year our trip is mid February until March 10. For anybody familiar with a faster fifth wheel route avoiding Atlanta but driving through Alabama, let me know. Barb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter