Best Restaurant to View Illuminations?

Ajbro44

Earning My Ears
We currently have reservations at LaHacienda de San Angel for 7:30pm.
Can you watch Illuminations from this restaurant?
Better recommendation?
Does this take away from the experience?
Thanks in a advance.

I haven't been to La Hacienda for Illuminations so can't answer that specifically. Most Epcot restaurants have only a few, limited no of tables near the windows so it is a lottery of chance whether you get that coveted table. Many of us believe that it is better to stake out a nice spot around the Lagoon for Illuminations rather than book a restaurant hoping to see the show with dinner because 1) there is no guarantee that you will actually get a window table 2) even if you get a window table, chances are other diners may well get up and crowd around you at the window to watch the show and even block your view and 3) the best views are still typically outside around the Lagoon. If you love the menu, are excited to eat at the restaurant and just consider Illuminations to be a nice possible only bonus (if you are lucky to get a table at the window), then go for it. But if your main purpose is to see Illuminations, then eat earlier (at any restaurant of your choosing) and then grab a nice spot around the Lagoon. There are some good spots eg on or near the little bridge to France, around the Italy boat dock (but you then must choose to either battle the crowds on the long walk around the Lagoon or duck into some shops or a bar to kill some time & wait out the stampede to the front of the park), or on the landing/balcony at Tokyo Dining in Japan. I'm sure others can add more (and much better!) to the list. Sadly, WDW promotes some Epcot restaurants with the hook that you can dine while watching Illuminations. That isn't always the reality.

Last edited:
A few of the tables at La Hacienda have an outstanding view of IllumiNations, some have a limited/okay/obstructed view, and some have no view at all. You can try requesting an IllumiNations table when you check-in, but they often do not accept/honor requests so you'll have to take whatever table you get. If you do make a request, be sure to specifically request an IllumiNations window table because some of the window tables at La Hacienda face away from the center of the lagoon and have no view at all. Rose & Crown is really the only restaurant with a specific reserved viewing area for guests that are seated at tables without a view. If you do go to La Hacienda, I would go expecting not to get a table with a view. That way, if you get one, then it's an added bonus and if you don't get one, you won't be disappointed.

Loved La Hacienda for IllumiNations. Very accommodating to our request. Our table was at windows, in left section (if your back is to waiting area). We did order drinks and a full meal then coffee so waiter figured out we weren't just "camping out" waiting for IllumiNations. Food and service was good too.

I haven't been there, but was reading this article about Spice Road Table. http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/spic...ce-road-table-at-epcot's-morocco-pavilion.htm
Sounds like lots of opportunities for a good view. "The location alone with make this restaurant extremely popular during firework time, as both the indoor and outdoor dining rooms will provide a great view of IllumiNations". When I was looking into it, I found they do now accept reservations and are on dining plan, this article was from January 2014.

Rose and Crown is the only TS restaurant with tables on the patio with a view of the lagoon and also a dedicated viewing area adjacent to the patio exclusively for R&C guests seated indoors or at tables without a view. Other restaurants such as La Hacienda and Spice Road Table have some tables with an excellent view, but if you are not seated at one of these tables there isn't another viewing option within the restaurant.

When you arrive at the restaurant you can always ask the castmembers at the podium for a window table, but there is no guarantee you will get one, even if you are willing to wait. If you are going at a busy time or many groups before you have already asked and are waiting or the restaurant is not taking table requests you may be seated at a table without a view. If seeing IllumiNations is more important than the food/menu it would be better to eat early and find a spot around Showcase Lagoon that has a view of the center of the lagoon and is not obstructed by trees or islands.

For Spice Road Table and it's view of IllumiNations here is a thread with photos:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/spice-road-table-and-illuminations.3409117/#post-54426657

We currently have reservations at LaHacienda de San Angel for 7:30pm.
Can you watch Illuminations from this restaurant?
Better recommendation?
Does this take away from the experience?
Thanks in a advance.

Rose and crown has the best viewing from a restaurant that we have found. If you can be seated on the outside patio or down at the water it is a great view. If you are inside it is best to use the private viewing area that they have and it is a very nice view. The others that we have eaten at you have to leave your table and go outside to find a view.

Loved La Hacienda for IllumiNations. Very accommodating to our request. Our table was at windows, in left section (if your back is to waiting area). We did order drinks and a full meal then coffee so waiter figured out we weren't just "camping out" waiting for IllumiNations. Food and service was good too.
What time was your reservation? I have a 7:30pm time just like the OP and I am hoping that is early enough to get a window table....

I had a great view at Tokyo Dining. We didn't ask for a window seat but we got one! We could see everything and they played the music inside the restaurant.

I haven't been there, but was reading this article about Spice Road Table. http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/spic...ce-road-table-at-epcot's-morocco-pavilion.htm
Sounds like lots of opportunities for a good view. "The location alone with make this restaurant extremely popular during firework time, as both the indoor and outdoor dining rooms will provide a great view of IllumiNations". When I was looking into it, I found they do now accept reservations and are on dining plan, this article was from January 2014.

Thanks for the help!!! Actually changed our reservation to an 8:15 ADR at Spice road.
Since I wrote this, I have seen some other posts that have said the view from the tables may not be as good as this article made it sound. Do a search on the boards and see what you can find! Being I haven't been there, I don't really know what the view is like.

Have been to Rose and Crown once in the standing area (spilled beer on someone, man was he pissed) and table. If you can get it table is way to go.

Thanks for the help!!! Actually changed our reservation to an 8:15 ADR at Spice road.

Just so you know there are only about 5 tables right on the water in the patio and about the same inside. If you get seated one row in from the water you will still have a decent view. There is no viewing area where you could stand to watch, it is set up for you to remain at your table. This is a restaurant folks go and sit awhile eating and drinking, not in a hurry. We love it there and I would say your chances of a water seat are low.

Also there is an island there blocking some of the show. For me, I've seen it so many times I wouldn't mind but if this is an important show for you to watch I would eat early then find a seat along the lagoon.

Disney%20February%202014%205%20243.jpg

Disney%20February%202014%205%20245.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter