Best resort for non-park stay

PoohNFriends

DIS Veteran
My husband & I are trying to figure out a 1st anniversary / babymoon trip with no trips to parks. Current openings for end of May are Boardwalk, Saratoga Springs, or OKW. We're looking to relax, eat a little bit of everything, and some non-park activities. I think we'll stay 3 full days, maybe 4 (any suggestion between 3 & 4 days?)
Boardwalk is appealing based on location on the Boardwalk & has a good amount of restaurants nearby. Saratoga & OKW are appealing because of their proximity to DTD and all the restaurants there.
Which would you choose?
(Bonus points for your non-park favorite activities).

Since you won't be going to the parks, I would do Saratoga or OKW. OKW is one of our favorite resorts because it is such a relaxing environment. A benefit for Saratoga would be that they have a Spa which you both could take advantage of and enjoy. We love spending time by the pool and renting the multi-person bikes when we aren't in the parks.

SSR as there is a lot more choice of place to eat than the BWV at Disney Springs and plenty of shopping. You also have the spa and some good pools.

SSR for sure due to proximity to DS and spas. I love BWV but i would feel cheated if i didn’t go to the park which is right next door

SSR - spa, counter service and sit down restaurants, boat to DS, nice pools with convenient food, surrey bikes, walking paths, and great community hall.

Thank you all!!! I was close to BWV so thank you for all of your votes for SSR. I booked AKV (Kidani) for our 1st night then SSR (preferred) for the next 2 nights. Our flight gets in early and leaves late so we'll have close to 4 full days. I decided to do the split stay bc I think we're going to book DxDP for just that 1st night to do Jiko dinner and Morimoto lunch the next day.

We stayed at OKW with no parks and recently at SSR with some parks.

I recommend SSR- Congress Park. You are just steps to the Marketplace area of DS or a boat ride to the other side. The pool is very nice there too. It’s quiet not a lot of kids. The view of DS from there at night is nice.

We would walk over for lunch or dinner. We enjoyed Wolfgang Pucks. But our favorite is Ragland Road. Don’t forget the movies and bowling. Good luck.

:). I love AKV for a non park trip. It’s so relaxing there and I do enjoy their pools. Have a great trip!

We prefer AKL for non-park stays due to the animal watching and enjoying the resort.

Bonus Points:
Depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Beach Club or Boardwalk. Priority would go to BC for the pool....but there is just so much to do with Yacht Club, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, Fantasia gradens....all with in walking distance.

Take a bus to Down Town Disney (disney springs) if that is what you are loooking for.

Since you won't be going to the parks, I would do Saratoga or OKW. OKW is one of our favorite resorts because it is such a relaxing environment. A benefit for Saratoga would be that they have a Spa which you both could take advantage of and enjoy. We love spending time by the pool and renting the multi-person bikes when we aren't in the parks.
And I’ve enjoyed many meals at the Turf Club-SSR and at Olivia’s-OKW. And OKW has the Guirgling Suitcase, the Turtle Krawl is their signature drink !

We prefer AKL for non-park stays due to the animal watching and enjoying the resort.

I agree! But of the 3 you mentioned, the only one I wouldn't do is Boardwalk. That's because, when I do a non-park trip, I feel like the park is taunting me, being so close by. And of the other two, I prefer OKW, just because I find it more pleasant to walk around-but I admit to being biased, I just like OKW.

I agree! But of the 3 you mentioned, the only one I wouldn't do is Boardwalk. That's because, when I do a non-park trip, I feel like the park is taunting me, being so close by. And of the other two, I prefer OKW, just because I find it more pleasant to walk around-but I admit to being biased, I just like OKW.
Taunting you.. lol.. so true!

A friend and I just did a non park stay at Boardwalk and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

It’s got the 4 restaurants, the new bar, the ice cream place and a quiet pool. Then there’s the pool bar for refreshing alcohol and non alcohol drinks and small snacks.
There’s a short walk to the Mandara Spa in the Dolphin hotel next door.
We took a boat ride from Epcot to DHS and back just to relax on the water.
We laid by the pool for hours and walked to the Boardwalk Bakery to pick up lunch and bring it back to our poolside table. At night we enjoyed a sweet treat, watching the entertainment on the BW and browsing the stores.

If we wanted to go somewhere else we jumped on the bus or cabbed it. It’s a big place but no where near as big as SSR, making the walk over to restaurants a breeze. Either is a good choice. We love SSR and have stayed there as well.

Good luck with your decision and happy planning! Happy anniversary and happy baby moon!

I would suggest SSR due to the proximity to DS. If you request Congress Park you can easily walk there and back, however we really enjoy staying in the Paddock area when we are there. Have a great trip.

DH and I did a 9 night trip a couple of years ago (only going to the parks 3 of those days) and stayed at ASM/BLT/AKV. While at ASM we went to DS a couple of times, so SSR would be great, as others have said. BLT was nice because we could see the MK fireworks from the CR and explore other resorts on the monorail. Loved being around the resort at AKV. I think that wherever you stay, there are things to do that are right where you are or only a bus ride away! :) Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter