• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BEST places to stay at Hilton Head???

d96j97

Disney NUT!
We've been to the Outer Banks numerous times and LOVE it there. We just returned yesterday and have decided to give Hilton Head a try for something different. We've always heard great things about it as well. We really like to stay somewhere quiet and non-commercialized. We'd love to rent a beach house or stay in a nice hotel that is very close (preferably ocean front). Any ideas? Thanks!

We love the Disney Hilton Head resort and we have also stayed at the Marriott Vacation Club resorts that are really nice.

We went for the first time this summer and rented a house in Palmetto Dunes - it's across the street from the Disney resort - we didn't stay on a beach front house, but were only about two streets to the beach. Very nice.

I generally rent a villa inside the Sea Pines resort. Palmetto Dunes would also be a good choice. Lots of agencies out there.

As for hotels. I know there is a Hilton and a Marriott ocean front in Palmetto Dunes. There's a Westin on down the beach in Shipyard and I "think" there is a Holiday Inn just outside of Sea Pines (but I may have the "branding' wrong on that last one)

I agree the Marriott time shares are outstanding. I was not very impressed with Disney's, too far from the beach for my taste.

Thanks!!! Keep the ideas coming.
We are NOT Disney Vacation Club members, so we aren't able to stay at the Disney Resort...correct?

We are NOT Disney Vacation Club members, so we aren't able to stay at the Disney Resort...correct?

Not at all. They do have some occupancy for cash-payers. Also, I believe it might be beneficial to rent DVC points from an owner. There is a DVC thread on the boards, and often you can get points for $10 or so, and the points per night would be less than the rate you pay. It wouldn't hurt to check into it.

You can still stay there via Disney CRO.

However, I second OCC above re. a villa in Sea Pines, as we have a place there too. There are tons of private residences for rent at HHI---much better than a hotel room for a relaxing vacation.

We stay at Marriott's Grande Ocean. If you're lucky, you can get reservations there. 2 bedroom units, on the beach, five pools, a REALLY good pool bar, activities galore, a marketplace and grille for meals on the go, etc. Take a look!

disney still owns pts at all of the DVC resorts (in wdw, vero beach, hilton head and hawaii) and they can rent those pts for cash guests. also, when DVC owners trade out for cruises or disney hotels, DVC takes those pts and rents them out through disney's central reservation office.

so if you need more space (or a studio with 1 queen bed + pullout sofabed + kitchenette works well for you), you can always look into renting directly from disney or else trying to rent a points-reservation from a DVC owner.

Hilton Head has more places that arent ocean front than are. We have stayed at Hilton Head Beach and Tennis Club resort numerous times. It is an oceanfront resort that is really affordable. They have 1 and 2 bedroom condos. We always stay in Admirals Row. We have always renteed through www.vrbo.com and had great results. We are heading to HHI in 11 days and are trying The Moorings in Palmetto Dunes this time. This unit is 90 seconds from the beach and a bit bigger than the ones at HHB&TC where we have always stayed. Here is the VRBO link to where we are staying this time.
http://www.vrbo.com/550
I really like to be right on the oceanfront. I dont want to have to drive or walk a long way with 4 kids and all the "stuff" you have to haul to the beach:lmao:

We've stayed at Hilton Head Beach and Tennis last summer. It's right on the ocean which is nice and convenient. This summer, we stayed in Palmetto Dunes and we weren't right on the ocean but it was about a 5 minute walk. We enjoyed both places.

Another vote for Palmetto Dunes. We will be there for two weeks this Sat.
We are staying in the Queens Grant section ...on the golf course and five minute walk to beach. Some sections are even closer to the beach...VillaMare and Barrington Arms I believe.

If you are on a real tight budget, we have also stayed at the Hilton Head Resort. HHResort.org. It is an older resort but has a private boardwalk to the beach with a beach bar at the end. Also has indoor and outdoor pools and free tennis courts. It cost us $550 a week for a two bedroom condo.
It is basic and no frills, but for the location and amenities It's the best deal on the island.

We rented through homeaway.com.

We have stayed in Palmetto Dunes three times now. The first time we rented a house with lots of family members (a few blocks from the beach). The last two times we have been, we have stayed in condos at Villamare which is right on the beach. I highly recommend it! It is a great location and lovely atmosphere.

Villamare...looking it up now. Just looked at vrbo.com. Thanks sooo much to everyone. Any other ideas?

I won't say that it is even remotely luxurious...not even close but....we loved our stay last month at the Holiday Inn Oceanfront. DH and I decided (after visiting some other places while there and going to a friend's rented condo too) that the location trumped all else. It is right...right .... right on the beach and right next door to Coligny Square. We simply did not have to drive anywhere unless we just wanted to! Coligny has shopping, free entertainment and a Piggly Wiggly for groceries. The hotel has a small frig' and microwave. We loved it.

We like Island Links in the Port Royal Plantation. They have 2 and 3 bedroom units with full kitchens. The resort has a large beautiful zero entry pool and a second standard pool. The clubhouse has organized activities for kids.

Take a look at Redweek.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter