Best places to eat in/near Aulani

Mark Thornhill

Earning My Ears
We have our first trip to Aulani in early June. Would appreciate suggestions of your favorite places to eat. We will have a rental and be able to drive off site. Will most places require reservations?

Everything in and around Ko Olina, where Aulani is located, will be geared towards tourists, especially in pricing. Monkeypod across the street is great with a good happy hour and unique offerings, Roy's is nice for finer dining, and there's a few recommendations at the Four Seasons and Marriott that others can speak to. We had Pizza Corner across the street for a quick dinner on arrival day and it was ok.

At Aulani, Makahiki and Ama Ama were great, though it would depend on if Ama Ama has re-opened and how limited the offerings may be at Makahiki.

If you're touring the island, Kono's in Haleiwa in the North Shore was an awesome quick service stop for lunch, followed by Matsumoto's shave ice close by. People also love the shrimp trucks in that area. Haleiwa Beach House is a nicer sit down in that area.

In Waikiki, House Without a Key (if its open) is often recommended. Duke's is a fun, albeit touristy, spot.

If you can make reservations, I'd suggest it. We live in Buffalo - hardly a tourist area and with fewer restrictions than Hawaii right now - and many of our popular local restaurants are now reservation only solely for crowd management.

Last edited:
A local told us to try the Highway Inn restaurant in Waipahu and it was fantastic! Definitely recommend that if you get the chance. Also we loved the shaved ice at the Sea Country General Store in Waianae. It’s off the beaten path and just as good or better than more famous places on the island. Have fun!

Most places won't require reservations but could have a short wait.

Loco Moco BBQ is take out only right now but the best local food near Aulani. There's also a Zippy's nearby if you want a quick diner meal. This shopping area also has a Target, Costco, and Foodland (my favorite if you're in Hawaii). You could live a week off the hot food bar and deli at Foodland. There is a Leonard's food truck in Waipahu if you don't want to drive into Honolulu.

Check out the YouTube channel, Amanda and Felix Eats! They’re a local couple that highlight local spots (and I get hungry when I watch episodes!). I’m making a list for next trip. Side note: I lived in Kailua for 3 years, and have some favorites. If in Kailua, Willow Tree is awesome (we used to get their food almost every week). If you like sushi, Sushi Bay in Kapolei is the best by far (I think they’re still only doing carry out, but it’s so worth it). Genki Sushi used to be our favorite, but Sushi Bay is better! Also Pearl’s Korean BBQ in Kapolei is good (we’ve used DoorDash for delivery from them).

Thank you happymommy. Will definitely check out Sushi Bay since we like sushi. And maybe Pearl's also. And we might get to Kailua so will keep these in my mind if we do.

I'll echo-- Pearl's BBQ and Loco Moco. Longhi's and Noe for more upscale and close. We really like the breakfast at Moana Surfrider and Hy's for steak. Touristy but very fun-- Duke's and Hula Grill. For something in Honolulu's art district and Thai/Laotian cuisine, Olay's-- pretty amazing Thai and a very comfortable, shaded garden out back. The food trucks up on the North Shore are really solid. And, last but not least, I was blown away by the food truck at Diamond Head Park. I'd also check out: Frolic-- has been a pretty good source of dining on Oahu for us over the years.

Thanks EveV. We’re here now and will have to check some of these places out. Thanks everyone for the recommendations. And you can keeps em coming

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter